No Clue Crew

Anyone see the signs for Park Stewards?

In my normal route on PMP from 7th Ave to Cave Creek I saw a sign on the east side of Cave Creek just through the tunnel. Looks like the Parks Service is looking for Mountina Biking Stewards. It actually surprised me that is specifically said "Attention Mountain Bikers."

It had some general info with a link to http:// phoenix.gov/PARKS/steward.html

Would be interested to know what TYPE of volunteer work they need, especially as it relates to specifically mountain bikers...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    In my normal route on PMP from 7th Ave to Cave Creek I saw a sign on the east side of Cave Creek just through the tunnel. Looks like the Parks Service is looking for Mountina Biking Stewards. It actually surprised me that is specifically said "Attention Mountain Bikers."

It had some general info with a link to http:// phoenix.gov/PARKS/steward.html

Would be interested to know what TYPE of volunteer work they need, especially as it relates to specifically mountain bikers...
    I'm not sure if it's the same program, but I know a couple who volunteer out at PMP. They wear red jerseys with a Swiss cross on the front.

I see them out there usually ever Saturday. They said they basically are there to help lost or injured hikers/bikers, teach folks trail etiquette, and just provide general assistance.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

parenting for gnarness
    skinny - sounds like you are talking about bike patrol. the stewards are an adjunct to the Ranger program. I was one for awhile, nothing specifically that they ask wrt to mtb other than report what you see. I think they are trying to get input from different groups which is good. They do ask the stewards to do volunteer work all the time - its not required but they hope that those in the steward program will be moved to do so.

No Clue Crew
    That web page (and the billboard at Cave Creek) shows pictures of MTBers in red jersey with the crosses. Must be them. They are supposed to be having a meeting this Saturday at 7a at the 40th St. lot.

Also on that web page it states that stewards should be able to volunteer 60 hours a year but fail to mention what exactly their volunteering was... a lot of generalities:
    Quote Originally Posted by Parks & Rec
    There are many ways in which you can become a member of the Park Steward team. From being a trail monitor, to maintaining trailhead gates; from assisting with litter pick up, to providing educational information to park users. Park Stewards can even perform their duties while using their own personal equipment such as a bicycle or horse! The possibilities are endless. We invite YOU to share in our commitment to caring for YOUR Desert Parks & Mountain Preserves.
    I may have to look into it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    skinny - sounds like you are talking about bike patrol. the stewards are an adjunct to the Ranger program. I was one for awhile, nothing specifically that they ask wrt to mtb other than report what you see. I think they are trying to get input from different groups which is good. They do ask the stewards to do volunteer work all the time - its not required but they hope that those in the steward program will be moved to do so.
    Yes, you are correct. I recall now that they referred to themselves as "bike patrol."
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

pedaller
    Yes, bike patrol which is a bit different than park stewards. Park stewards are pretty flexible in terms of activities as long as you get in the hours while in the park (riding, hiking, volunteering, etc.)

I DO believe there is a mandatory class required along with other requirements to be part of the Bike Patrol.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

slow uphill
    I thought the red Bike Patrol folks were under IMBA in their National Mountain Bike Patrol program... no?

Got a suspension fork
    If trail riding counted towards volunteer time I'd be all over it.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Pivotal figure
    Randy; I'm pretty sure the Steward's time is in fact counted towards volunteer hours. I know a few peeps who are in the program now so I can check to see for sure. It appears that this version of the Patrol is more organized than the first one. I'm kinda thinking of getting back into it...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by orangedog
    I thought the red Bike Patrol folks were under IMBA in their National Mountain Bike Patrol program... no?
    You are correct. IMBA and Parks have partnered up to put the bike patrol out in the PMP from what I have been told from a ranger friend. I might do the 9/4 ride/orientation. Not sure yet.

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    As a Park Steward, it all counts (and you're covered by the City's insurance as long as you call in and out when you are done). You also have to fill out and submit a log sheet.

I've been doing it for a while now.

slow uphill
    hmmm... I was considering it, but the parks near my place aren't listed. maybe worth asking if they'd like to expand the listing. I think I'll call tomorrow to find out.

No Clue Crew
    The Dreamy Draw Map on your blog is a dead end... Thought you'd wanna know.

Wow, the entire length of T100 in 55 minutes? And you cleaned it in 1:05? Sweet Jesus that seems like it's cookin'!

Looking at the map I'm guessing I'd be supremely happy if I could do it in around 2 hours. I KNOW there are sections that I would be walking (that loose uphill on the south side of Disneyland for sure). Wow... the bar is high. Gives me a goal, though...

Got a suspension fork
    The Dreamy Draw Map on your blog is a dead end... Thought you'd wanna know.

Wow, the entire length of T100 in 55 minutes? And you cleaned it in 1:05? Sweet Jesus that seems like it's cookin'!

Looking at the map I'm guessing I'd be supremely happy if I could do it in around 2 hours. I KNOW there are sections that I would be walking (that loose uphill on the south side of Disneyland for sure). Wow... the bar is high. Gives me a goal, though...
    I haven't given much thought to trying to best my times in this summer heat, but my goal this fall is to break under the 1 hour east to west full T100 ride, and at least attempt Shaw Butte. I won't come anywhere near the times already posted for Shaw, but I want to do it just to do it. The DDTT, for me anyway, isn't about puffing up my chest and showing what a speed demon I am - because I am not. Lots of dudes out there WAY faster than I am. It's just a benchmark and a goal to set and try and beat another day.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

No Clue Crew
    I KNOW there are sections that I would be walking (that loose uphill on the south side of Disneyland for sure).
    I forgot it's east to west. That section is downhill so not so bad...

I haven't given much thought to trying to best my times in this summer heat, but my goal this fall is to break under the 1 hour east to west full T100 ride, and at least attempt Shaw Butte. The DDTT, for me anyway, isn't about puffing up my chest... It's just a benchmark and a goal to set and try and beat another day.
    You're only 10 min behind on the full and it's 11 miles. I suspect you won't be too far off Shaw Butte times...

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    As a Park Steward, it all counts (and you're covered by the City's insurance as long as you call in and out when you are done). You also have to fill out and submit a log sheet.

I've been doing it for a while now.

i heard the stewards are also starting a band to help raise awareness for trail etiquette... they call themselves The Bluebag Boys

pedaller
    You heard wrong.

It's either going to be "Off Leash!" or "The turd burglars"

No Clue Crew
    So I went out the 40th Street this morning. Got in almost my normal loop and then returned for this meeting. From what I gather it's basicly a group of riders that go out on weekends and ride.

• They are given extra tubes from the Parks dept for bikers in need.
    • They provide water, food, and first aid to anyone in need.
    • They sometimes provide help in desert rescues.
    • They give advice to riders and hikers on trails, trail etiquette, etc...
    • Some even help pickup trash and dogshit left by retarded people.
    • One big issue they try to correct is the dumbassess with their dogs OFF LEASH.

Some are IMBA certified but it's not required by the Parks Dept. They have absolutely no authority to do anything, though. They just try to be good ambassadors for the sport and to provide any kind of aid when necessary.

Vickie was the lead contact this morning. She is with the Parks Dept. She said there are quite a few Stewards at South Mountain but only 10 or so covering the North Mountain area. Volunteering is usually only once every other couple months but they do not currently have enough volunteers and thus the A frame placards all over T100 looking for MTBers.

So, she chatted, as well as a couple other Stewards, about the program and then we went for a quick ride up 40th -> 100 -> Conversation Point -> 100 Zipper back to 40th Street.

From what I gathered it's moderately organized. As in you can just throw on your shirt, go for a ride, and claim it as volunteer hours. They have some kind of check in system for logging hours and appear to rotate hours and weekends. With so little manpower I assume there are weekends when no one goes out.

Sounds like it might be interesting. If you are the type that loves to talk to strangers I'd highly recommend it. I'm certainly no Chatty Cathy and I don't go out looking for conversation on my bike but I'm not against it. One current Steward was EXTREMELY chatty with just about everone so he's probably in heaven out there with his shirt on

I'm thinking about it. Might be fun. Might be a boring, pain in the ass that occupies more of the time I have so little to have fun with. Who knows...

They are having another meeting/ride at the Dreamy Draw lot next Saturday, the 11th, and then the following weekend, the 18th, is their REQUIRED meeting for the Parks Dept. I'll be outta town, hopefully shredding a Tucson trail or two, but I may still throw my paperwork in...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Big0Mike hit just about everything from the meeting. I have been doing this for a couple of years, please contact me if you have questions or better yest join us at 7am on Aug 11th and ask several of us.

Some items to clear up.

Which parks can you patrol? any parks that are part of the Phoenix Park/Preserve system (http://phoenix.gov/PARKS/hikemain.html). Other parks in the area are associated with other cities or counties. An agreement between the land managers and Bike patrol would be needed which requires someone to take charge and lead the patrol group. Rumor has it their is a group patrolling the McDowell's.

What do you need to be a Bike Patrol in Phoenix Park systems - 1. You need to be a park Stewart. 2. Current first aid/CPR 3. Current Registration/dues with IMBA.

What do you need to be a park Stewart? - 1. Background check. 2. Stewart training (1 day class big0Mike mentioned) 3. Current first aid/CPR. The city sets up classes for Stewart's.

What do Stewart's have to do to complete their 60 hours? - What ever you want. In the orientation class you will sign up for what your interested in Volunteering for. If you don't want to hear about hike programs or Visitor Center work don't sign up for it. I do all my time on the bike.

Check in/out - this consists of call a number and saying who/when/where you are patrolling.

Log hours - Logs consist of who, when, and where you patrolled. Count of Hiker/ biker/ Equestrians you encountered and any items you think should be noted?

Tubes are not supplied by the city. They are provided by Central Arizona Mountain Bike Patrol, a non profit that supports the Bike Patrols in the Phoenix area.

Again if you need more information please Join us at Dreamy Draw at 7am on the 11th.

... And no, I'm not the Chatty Cathy

No Clue Crew
    Thanks for the extra info...