EDR

Anyone riding Natty or Hawes tonight?

I'm at work, my bikes in the truck. Just looking for incentive, plus I'm not too fond of the the idea of riding Natty at night solo...just in case I'm stalked by El Chupacabra or something, ya know?

"No Clue Crew"
    LOL..... Wish I was!!! Looks like a cool storm rolling thru!!!!.............Drew

My other ride is your mom
    sorry....tanked already......if not, I would have rolled Hawes with you

EDR
    Well, I rolled into Pima at 6:45 and the storm was looking like it might make for a interesting ride. Turned out to be fantastic. Just a few sprinkles but LOTS of wind up on the ridges. Saw one of those strange scorpion looking spider things while taking a drink. Scared the begeezus out of me b/c those things are aggressive as heck. Came out of the dark at full speed charging at my feet. Not sure what the hell those things are but they are freeeeeky!

Anyhow I did a quick run up Mormon and opted to take the Natty junction back to Desert Classic for a few more miles. Riding solo... in the dark....on National, is a true test of ones confidence. I decided my confidence stopped short of heading all the way up to the saddle and back by myself

One of these two things maybe...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

skilldest©
    I have alway wondered what those things are.... I only see them at night

Eleven - it's one louder

solifugid

It's called a solifugid, AKA Sun Spider or Camel Spider. Not really a spider or a scorpion but closely related. They only live for about a year and I beleive they have the largest jaws for their size of any invertebrate. I've lived in AZ for 20 years and just saw my 1st one at the last Pemberton night ride. Way cool!
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    The last Pemberton night ride is when I saw one too. It was towards the end, with a few miles to go. I thought it was a scrorpion without a tail at first. Crazy thing was high-tailing it strait at me and I'm on my 29er! Pretty wild creature. I did not stop.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

EDR
    Crazy thing was high-tailing it strait at me and I'm on my 29er!
    YES! That's what they do. This one charged directly at me like it was going to kick my ass. Arms high in the air and hauling ass towards me. Last year one in my garage did the same thing. After some research I see they can move up to 10 mph, that's half as fast as most humans can run

I love bike!
    I had one of these things come into the bathroom while I was dropping some kids off. Thankfully just stared at me till I was done doin work then I was able to smash it with a magazine. Thought it was a scorpion without a tail at first till I asked the exterminator. I think he said they actually feed on scorps and spiders. Gnarly little buggers.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    Crazy thing was high-tailing it strait at me and I'm on my 29er!
    I just checked. They prefer 29ers.

skilldest©
    tried to put pic of a somo salifugea...later I guess