mtbr member

Anyone ride an Iron Horse 7.5?

Looking for a new bike to ride so-mo on, as my current bike is getting a bit thrashed.

I haven't seen a single 7-point bike on the mountain, and I'm not sure why. For $1635 delivered I can get a 7.5 from rscycle.com. Thats a whole lotta bike for the $.

No shuttling - I currently pedal a 34# bike up national, but I think this 7.5 is around 42# or so. Not worried about the aerobic part, more worried if I'll be able to climb obstacles on something so heavy.

Anyone else pedal a bike this heavy up national? I'm only 165#, so we are talking a big big bike for someone my size.

Later!
    -MitchB
    Like riding Hawes? Rent my house! 2500sqft 4/3 w/3 car garage and pool in Las Sendas. 1/4 mile to Hawes.

mtbr member
    I have the 2005 7.5 - I love it. The DW link coupled with the platformed 5th element really work well to cut bob and basically eliminate it if your in the seat. There are definately areas on National i push up but that is partly due to my legs, the weight of the bike is not a huge consideration.

That said, if you are more of a climber than a downhiller or freerider then the 7.5 might be a bit too much bike for your taste. However, it goes up well, it takes the flat nicely and oh boy, the downs, well, this bike loves being pointed down a hill or off a drop.

It should come with the Boxxer Ride up front so you can dial down the front travel from 178 mm to 130 mm and you can pump in some extra air for the inital damping on the back to stiffen it up for climbs, drop the pressure for the downhill.

The only thing i would warn about is that some of the 05's had out of spec bolts and pins from Progressive, you can just call Iron Horse and they'll send you new ones if you have any issues. You can see this manifest in a bit of vertical play in the shock mounts, from all accounts, its not a serious issue but if it develops its worth getting the upgraded parts free from IH.

Let me know if you have any other questions, if its not an 05 then the shock thing was sorted i believe.

Overall, its a GREAT bike, does everything, eveng oes up, just a little slower than a lighter bike.

Also you can get more opinions and answers in the Iron Horse forum, plenty of 7.5ers there.

Oh, just thought, they have 7.5's in stock at the performance bike on kyrene and ray you could also test drive one there at least get a feel for it on the flat and hop, they'll let you out on it, think they only have a small 2005 left but may have other 06 sizes.
    Last edited by Mrweelz; 03-06-2007 at 02:35 PM.
    [I][SIZE=1]Speeding beneath a field of blue like a silver speedbird one, all your life's below you, pouring fast to a hazy di