SamuraiBunnyGuy

anyone reccomend an air compressor nozzle that actually FITS over presta adapter?

im trying to add more stans but the threads on the presta adapter dont allow the compressor nozzle to go over it.
    when i screw down the presta adapter tighter (so the actuator is closer to the top of the presta adapter and had a better chance of contacting the trigger inside the compressor nozzle) it only ends up pulling out the valve core completely. i know i did it once but maybe it was just luck.

this nozzle will fit over the shraeder valves in my car tires no problem, but not the presta adapter for the bike.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I just have a generic one from Home Depot that works fine. I can't say its any special brand.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Just buy a presta->shraeder adapter. It screws onto the presta valve and will fit any compressor fitting.

Slime 23042 Presta to Schrader Valve Adapter : Amazon.com : Automotive
    "Got everything you need?"

Kathleen in AZ
    Airbob.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    arrgh,, FINALLY after fiddling around with the other assorted nozzle attachments and was able to get it seated. that only wasted an hour.

the problem was:
    inner diameter nozzle A would not fit around threads of B, preventing it from activating the center thingie to release the air.
    maybe it's just a REALLY old presta adapter and therefore has larger thread diameter? damned if i know

finally,, screwing B into C into D, i was able to just push the whole thing around the open presta valve and get enuff of a seal (even without the adapter being screwed onto it), to get enuff pressure to seat the tire. the rest i was able to do with a floor pump... still 2 hours oof daylight left,, im out,, thanks,

Just Joshin' ya!
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by twoheadsbrewing View Post
    just buy a presta->shraeder adapter. It screws onto the presta valve and will fit any compressor fitting.

slime 23042 presta to schrader valve adapter : Amazon.com : Automotive
    rif

Elitest thrill junkie
    The problem is A, those are horrible for bicycles, schrader or presta. Get the long ones with the dual-sided head.

Kathleen in AZ
    Ooooo! That gizmo will give Mr. Air-Bob a run for his money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    arrgh,, FINALLY after fiddling around with the other assorted nozzle attachments and was able to get it seated. that only wasted an hour.

the problem was:
    inner diameter nozzle A would not fit around threads of B, preventing it from activating the center thingie to release the air.
    maybe it's just a REALLY old presta adapter and therefore has larger thread diameter? damned if i know

finally,, screwing B into C into D, i was able to just push the whole thing around the open presta valve and get enuff of a seal (even without the adapter being screwed onto it), to get enuff pressure to seat the tire. the rest i was able to do with a floor pump... still 2 hours oof daylight left,, im out,, thanks,

I just did this today. with one of the adapters that has the chain on it Name:  41XzTrLS5bL._SX385_.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  16.4 KB to the same type of inflater to seat the bead on my new tires (which fought me hard!) BTW-I have space to work on your ride when ever you are ready Mike!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I had the same problem. My solution was to tighten the valve core a little tighter. Works fine for all my tires now.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    and of course 20 mins out into the ride my rear derailleur cable snapped. luckily it was right where it clamps into the derailleur bolt so there was still enough cable to reattach it for a SS ride home...

mtbr member
    I've had this same problem with the nozzles at gas stations lately. Never had a problem up until the past couple of tubeless conversions I've done. Not sure what the difference is as my presta/schraeder adaptor is the same. Very frustrating.

mtbr member

anyone reccomend an air compressor nozzle that actually FITS over presta adapter?

That's why I like the slide on ones. Gives a little wiggle room. I have notices that the last two sets of peseta stems I installed (not sure what brands but both pairs different and removable core) the nut screwed out a turn or two less it seemed. I only noticed because I didn't bend them right away like I always have in the past. And here I thought I was just getting better at it/being more careful!

Sent from your Moms phone.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Name:  grayvalveW.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  84.1 KBGray anodized aluminum valve
    They also come in black. I bought these a few years back, because I got tired of messing with an adapter kit. No problems ever since. I think a LBS on the far west side of town sells them also.
    Tubeless presta issues no more!!!
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

Happy Trails

DNA has some in a jar by the register that work great. They cost $2.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Name:  grayvalveW.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  84.1 KBGray anodized aluminum valve
    They also come in black. I bought these a few years back, because I got tired of messing with an adapter kit. No problems ever since. I think a LBS on the far west side of town sells them also.
    Tubeless presta issues no more!!!
    I can't see having another pair of wheels without these or something similar. Presta is a pain in the ass. But, then again, the majority of you likely are worried about weight and shaving milliseconds off your Strava times. I'm not, so I've got wide, heavy rims that will accommodate a Schrader valve. Many rims won't.

+1 for the Prestaflator, though. Since I have one of them. Just get the attachment, though. I've found the gauge on the actual "gun" to be not terribly accurate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

anyone reccomend an air compressor nozzle that actually FITS over presta adapte

What I ended up doing is making a hybrid air pump with about 25 bucks in parts off amazon and some fittings from Lowes anyone reccomend an air compressor nozzle that actually FITS over presta adapter?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361175793.653779.jpganyone reccomend an air compressor nozzle that actually FITS over presta adapter?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361175810.798533.jpganyone reccomend an air compressor nozzle that actually FITS over presta adapter?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361175832.525774.jpg

It was a pretty easy DIY project. If I did it again I would get a different hose end from sks but for now this works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFMBA.org

Cheap and easy tubeless inflator setup

Buy this inflator from your local Walmart (same one as the post above mine, but modified differently). Use a wrench to unscrew the brass head (from the end of the red hose) and remove the little floating brass nipple inside but leave the rubber O-ring in there. Screw it back together. The floating piece you remove is the part that opens a shrader for inflation and since you're using a presta, you wont need the part. The head of this inflator easily fits over a presta/shrader adapter and there's a spring-loaded lever that holds the nozzle in place while you inflate. Best $18 I ever spent.

Campbell Hausfeld Tire Inflator with Gauge: Tools : Walmart.com
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    I have been scrounging old tubes from an off road motorbike shop - cut out the schraeder valve and they have a proper hex nut on the full length threaded valve body to lock it onto the rim - much simpler to refill through the larger valve and more robust that presta!
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Buy this inflator from your local Walmart (same one as the post above mine, but modified differently). Use a wrench to unscrew the brass head (from the end of the red hose) and remove the little floating brass nipple inside but leave the rubber O-ring in there. Screw it back together. The floating piece you remove is the part that opens a shrader for inflation and since you're using a presta, you wont need the part. The head of this inflator easily fits over a presta/shrader adapter and there's a spring-loaded lever that holds the nozzle in place while you inflate. Best $18 I ever spent.

Campbell Hausfeld Tire Inflator with Gauge: Tools : Walmart.com
    Frickin awesome! Just read this, because I have the same issue. Clicked your link to see what that was and realized I have one laying around and threw it in a drawer because it did not work for me. I will give this a shot!

Thanks!

DFMBA.org

Re: anyone reccomend an air compressor nozzle that actually FITS over presta adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Frickin awesome! Just read this, because I have the same issue. Clicked your link to see what that was and realized I have one laying around and threw it in a drawer because it did not work for me. I will give this a shot!

Thanks!
    Hope it works out for you. The only drawback is that the bleeder button doesn't work for this application, but tubeless setup works really well.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.