Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    banned
    Dec 2003

Anyone here a Vegetarian or Vegan?

Just curious...

Serious question, will not flame responses, or call said responders g@y. Promise.
    Last edited by riggse; 10-26-2004 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Forgot that we can't read the word g@y, so had to spell it like a retard...

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by riggse
    Just curious...

Serious question, will not flame responses, or call said responders g@y. Promise.
    Years back, when I was racing raod with the U of A, I was a vegetarian for about 2 years and close to, but not quite, a vegan. Small amounts of fish and fowl now and then, no cheese, dairy, ect. It sucked, was hard and I never liked it, but I felt great.

I am looking to drop 20 pounds of lard from my body these days. Planning to get back to my modified Zone regime. Spending $100 on giant sushi rolls with Skinny-Tire ain't the way
    to go.

Did I mention I was a U of A Wildspoke (cycling team/club). Anyone else from the team from 1989 - 1992 out there?
    I AM JUST A JERK

banned
    Dec 2003

Well thanks for hijacking the thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    It sucked, was hard and I never liked it, but I felt great.
    I've heard both sides of the argument, either people love it or hate it...doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

I am looking to drop 20 pounds of lard from my body these days.
    Who isn't? I've picked up 30lbs since April.....WTF? When, where, why, how?

Did I mention I was a U of A Wildspoke (cycling team/club). Anyone else from the team from 1989 - 1992 out there?
    Threadjacker!

*counting the seconds until some one says "pot calling the kettle black"*

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    been mostly vegitarian for 6 years now. Sometimes I fall of the edge, but usually I roam the grass just south of vegan. Cheese and chocolate being my weakness, that keeps me from total vegan.

Renegade of Krunk
    Definitely not me.

Man, I couldnt go 2 days without meat And I am already skinny as it is, hehe..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    vegetarian, sort of. i still eat dairy products and eggs. no animal flesh since 1985. i still managed to put on 10lbs. this summer( time to step up the exercise and eat less dairy). i do this for spiritual reasons.

Rita

mtbr member
    Ex-vegetarian who currently cohabitants with one (which means I'm one when we cook in). Why?

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Ex-vegetarian who currently cohabitants with one (which means I'm one when we cook in). Why?
    My spouse is a fishy, eggy, cheesy vegetarian (no meat) too. Cohabitating sucks on its own, but when there is no meat in the house, my god man. Well, sometimes there is meat, but not often. My first kid did not eat meat for her first two years. When she got old enough to understand that I was eating it, she asked for it and got it. You asked for it - you got it - Kobe Beef.

Hey Riggse, sorry I hijacked your vegan thread. Yea right. You said you were not going to flame responses, but did not limit your pledge to only for responses that are on point. Here is a flame for you. Why the hell are you asking this question (the are you a vegan thing)?

If you are trying to lose weight, here is what I did this last time. First, I promised myself that if I lost 50 pounds I would buy the bike of my dreams (yes, after lawschool, marriage, ect., I ballooned from 165 to 230 over 10 years). Second, I did the Zone diet, slightly modified. It is not a low carb diet, but was hard to get a grip on at first, very hard. Ultimately, it just resulted in better eating habits. I am not sure if the Zone concept really has much merit, but the better eating habits sure does. I lost the 50 and got me a 5-Spot. If I ride enough, I can eat whatever I want and not gain weight. I am at 185-190 (6 feet even) now and want to lose another 20, but it is damn hard at this point and I will really need to kick up the riding and cut down on the bad eating.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Saucy Size Moderator
    Me: no mammal. Chicken, fish, egg, cheese are all in my diet. I was radically more veggie when Susan was still alive (i.e. a chicken breast every couple months), but I've actually dropped weight since adding more animal protein back into my diet (and backing pasta and bread out of it).

Highest respect for the athletes who have figured out veganism that doesn't make them sick or interfere with their performance.

Favorite part of vegetarianism (or any self-imposed food limitations): When people a) try to tear down the logic of your decision, i.e. "if you don't eat meat, why do you wear leather belts?", b) ask if it's for health or moral reasons (usually with an eye on gathering ammo for "a" above), and c) explain that "I really don't eat much meat...maybe just a hamburger once in a while...and sausage with breakfast, and French onion soup, and..." yadda yadda.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

MTBR Tool
    An infamous quote from a rival for the affections of my then girlfriend (now wife) - before she went off the market - to my quadruple by-passed, ultra conservative father-in-law (may he RIP): "Jaime - you should have her date me - I'll make sure she has steak every day!"

In honour of his memory I endeavour to eat a ribeye or filet per week. Pregnancy sucks these days because pretty much any shell/fish is off the menu due to the amount of contaminants in the fishing grounds and the chemicals in the farmed stuff.

And, to keep this post on topic, not I.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Me: no mammal. Chicken, fish, egg, cheese are all in my diet. I was radically more veggie when Susan was still alive (i.e. a chicken breast every couple months), but I've actually dropped weight since adding more animal protein back into my diet (and backing pasta and bread out of it).

Highest respect for the athletes who have figured out veganism that doesn't make them sick or interfere with their performance.

Favorite part of vegetarianism (or any self-imposed food limitations): When people a) try to tear down the logic of your decision, i.e. "if you don't eat meat, why do you wear leather belts?", b) ask if it's for health or moral reasons (usually with an eye on gathering ammo for "a" above), and c) explain that "I really don't eat much meat...maybe just a hamburger once in a while...and sausage with breakfast, and French onion soup, and..." yadda yadda.

p.
    I would still like some answers to some of these questions, so here goes:

a) Do you wear leather, and if so, do you use whips?
    b) Why no mammals?
    c) Do you eat turkey, duck, quail, ect?
    d) What is the air speed of a swallow?
    I AM JUST A JERK

banned
    Dec 2003

Look who's getting mouthy....

Hey Riggse, sorry I hijacked your vegan thread. Yea right. You said you were not going to flame responses, but did not limit your pledge to only for responses that are on point. Here is a flame for you. Why the hell are you asking this question (the are you a vegan thing)?
    Just curious that's all. Are vegans now reduced to mere "things"?

I personally don't agree that eating chicken/fish/seafood is TRULY vegetarian, but it's not my place to judge others. Anything that cuts out red meat is better than nothing, and I just wanted to see what this group had to say on the subject. You all seem fairly healthy and well informed...

I personally lost about 50lbs on the Atkins diet about 3 years ago, and have gone up down up down up since then. I think you hit the nail on the head dirdir - more exercise, less junk is the key.

Paul, I agree with the assesment of the hipocrites...but not everyone that goes vegan/vegetarian is doing it to save the animals. I wouldn't want to wear a plastic belt if I didn't have to.

So anymore comments on the subject are certainly welcome, I'm enjoying everyone's take on it.

ER

Saucy Size Moderator
    I would still like some answers to some of these questions, so here goes:

a) Do you wear leather, and if so, do you use whips?
    b) Why no mammals?
    c) Do you eat turkey, duck, quail, ect?
    d) What is the air speed of a swallow?
    A) Don't wear leather except for shoes and belts. Wouldn't want a jacket, and I'd probably scare myself in leather pants. No on the whip, yes on riding crop. Sometimes discipline is necessary.

B) "No mammals" was my halfway measure for my ex, who was an extreme hardcore vegan. Now I won't eat anything that's warm and fuzzy. I also really like what it did for my health: easy weight loss, lower cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.

C) Should have clarified that all birds are on the menu.

D) African or European (of course)? Laden or not?

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Occidental Tourist
    More of a jack vegitarian - wife won't eat mamal and doesn't eat chicken/fish much so we eat alot of soy, grains, greens, dairy which I usually prefer but a good steak or some bruats now and then never did hurt noone - excpt of course the animal. We used to eat more fish but I'm a little more leery these days due to contaminants.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    More of a jack vegitarian - wife won't eat mamal and doesn't eat chicken/fish much so we eat alot of soy, grains, greens, dairy which I usually prefer but a good steak or some bruats now and then never did hurt noone - excpt of course the animal. We used to eat more fish but I'm a little more leery these days due to contaminants.
    I'd be more leery of the contaminants in your meats then your fish. Some farming practices leave much if anything to be desired.
    Trev!

Trail rider and racer

I personally don't agree that eating chicken/fish/seafood is TRULY vegetarian, but it's not my place to judge others. Anything that cuts out red meat is better than nothing, and I just wanted to see what this group had to say on the subject. You all seem fairly healthy and well informed...

I personally lost about 50lbs on the Atkins diet about 3 years ago, and have gone up down up down up since then. I think you hit the nail on the head dirdir - more exercise, less junk is the key.

Paul, I agree with the assesment of the hipocrites...but not everyone that goes vegan/vegetarian is doing it to save the animals. I wouldn't want to wear a plastic belt if I didn't have to.

So anymore comments on the subject are certainly welcome, I'm enjoying everyone's take on it.

ER
    If a person is a 'vegetarian' who eats chicken they are not a vegetarian - Simple as that. With fish its more of a grey area but generally I think a Vegetarian is a person who consumes no animal or fish except sometimes milk or eggs if they are a profess to be a Lacto-ovo vegetarian.
    Trev!

viva la v-brakes!

100% veggie head + diet advice

My wife (wickedlibrarian) and I are both 100% vegetarian for seven years now, and we both ride. There are many good reasons to go vegan, but I LOVE cheese, ice cream and milk chocolate too much to go there, but I get close sometimes. As long as I get my dairy and eggs from organic/free range sources I don't feel too bad about it.

Being vegetarian I can ride by the overcrowded and dying woods in Flagstaff and the thrashed P-J in Sedona and know that I'm not supporting the industry that's done the more damage to the West then all other industries combined (cattle).

So I am mostly vegetarian for environmental reasons (don't even get me started on factory farming), but also health reasons (bovine growth hormone anyone?), and to a lesser extent, animal welfare reasons (don't even get me started on factory farming). Basically I feel like we each need to have a smaller impact on the environment, and use less resources and being vegetarian is the best way to do that.

I do wear a leather belt because I bought it before I was a vegetarian and it's still good so why get rid of it? I also wear leather shoes only because it's impossible to find a decent pair of shoes that aren't made out of leather (but if you know of any super-wide riding shoe or hiking boots that aren't made out of leather, let me know).

As for loosing weight it's all about a healthy diet. Going vegetarian isn't necessarily any healtiher then a omnivorous diet. Lets not forget ice cream is vegetarian as are most fatty deserts and there are a fair number of fatty vegan things. I know a fair number of vegetarians with bad diets (sometimes known as mac and cheese vegetarians) that are fat, and I even know a couple obese vegans!

My advice, I lost 20 pounds in 2002 and 20 more in 2003 and have kept it off and am healithier then I've ever been (at 27 years old and 145 lbs). I have two bits of advice.

#1 Eat healthy. Simply try to make half of what you eat fruits and veggies. No processed grains, only whole grains. Go with low-fat dairy, and if you choose, meats. High calorie/fat treats like ice cream are OK if only eaten rarely, like once a week. Make it a special treat.

#2 Ride. Ride a lot, ride to work, ride on the weekends, weekdays and holidays. If you get sick of riding, find some other sports you like and just stay active.
    Last edited by FishMan473; 10-27-2004 at 02:35 PM. Reason: to fix stuff
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

banned
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    If a person is a 'vegetarian' who eats chicken they are not a vegetarian - Simple as that. With fish its more of a grey area but generally I think a Vegetarian is a person who consumes no animal or fish except sometimes milk or eggs if they are a profess to be a Lacto-ovo vegetarian.
    Although not a "true" vegetarian, the classification is a "pollo vegetarian" if they eat chicken, and a "pollo/pesco vegetarian" if they eat chicken and fish. But agreed, I don't think that's really vegetarianism, more like an aversion to red meat.

But again, I'm not judging anyone else's program...

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I'd be more leery of the contaminants in your meats then your fish. Some farming practices leave much if anything to be desired.
    True which is why I usually get organic beef and chicken. The little one also eats orgainc dairy.

I am Walt
    Shouldn't this whole string be in the Men's Health forum, or something?

Just eat everything in moderation and use common sense (then again, most people don't have any common sense).

Back to MTB-ing....

banned
    Dec 2003

You had to go and do it, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Shouldn't this whole string be in the Men's Health forum, or something?
    So this is just for you...use the pictures to help you sound it out, I think you'll be OK...if you have questions, or can't figure it out, let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    I do wear a leather belt because I bought it before I was a vegetarian and it's still good so why get rid of it? I also wear leather shoes only because it's impossible to find a decent pair of shoes that aren't made out of leather (but if you know of any super-wide riding shoe or hiking boots that aren't made out of leather, let me know).
    I may be wrong, but I thought most modern cycling shoes were made out of that fake leather stuff plus nylon or something mesh. Lorica is something that comes to mind. I do know that my Specialized shoes have barely stretched unlike leather normally does. Sidi makes a wide Lorica shoe I think.
    I AM JUST A JERK

I am Walt
    You can be more creative than that - it was used in another thread!

banned
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    You can be more creative than that - it was used in another thread!
    It's mine, and I'm the one that used it previously, and reserve the right to use it to describe anyone I deem worthy of it. Today was your turn....seriously man, we were having a nice OT discussion, and if you have nothing to contribute, then don't read it.

It's not like it was a dishonest & stupid title, like "George W. Bush is the best thing ever!"

Ouch, I am hot!

ER
    Riggse, are you my parallel universe, ala Star Trek Mirror-Mirror episode, self, or am I yours? Lets see. We both like controversy. We both have lost 50 pounds. We both like Goodfellas. Only question is, how did you get here, Ion storm or vegan combustion?

Is this you? http://www.trek5.com/caps/tos/39_MM/pages/39_MM-020.htm (the evil parallel Mr. Spock), because several people will tell you that it looks just like me.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast