mtbr member

Anyone have kids that race BMX

My son has decided he'd like to follow in dad's footsteps and give bmx racing a try. I was just wondering if any of you have kids that race out at black mountain. I raced there in the 80's for about six years.

I took him to a race this last weekend which happened to be the winter nationals. I was surprised to see a couple 26" hardtail single speeds out there racing the cruiser classes and doing very well, with front suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    My son has decided he'd like to follow in dad's footsteps and give bmx racing a try. I was just wondering if any of you have kids that race out at black mountain. I raced there in the 80's for about six years.

I took him to a race this last weekend which happened to be the winter nationals. I was surprised to see a couple 26" hardtail single speeds out there racing the cruiser classes and doing very well, with front suspension.
    Hey my 6 year old did NBL out at Estrella last year. Becauseof his height, he was REALLY successful. But it got to be expensive. Not like the ol' days. Constantly changing out cogs, stems, crank lengths to accomodate the most powerful and efficient ways to win.

Some say it's overboard to do that for your kid, I kinda agree. At first it was fun with alot of good people, but as the competion grew, so did the sophistication of bikes and components...Hate to say it, but to really be successful, you have to devote alot of money. Then again, what's your definition of 'successful.'

My boy now rides the bike park - he's loving it!