No Clue Crew

Anyone ever ride this?

View PMP Trails in a larger map

It's the little leg in the upper right corner of the map to the northeast of the Phoenix First Assembly of God. I think you'll have to grab the map and move it down to see it.

I spied it from T100 the other day and thought, "that looks steep. Could be fun." But, I've never been over there so have no idea if it'd be worth the trouble. Nor which way would be easiest to get to it.

Also, for any of you that ride the west end of PMP. There are two trails right above the label "Mountain Vista Estates." One is Disneyland proper. The other day I spied a couple girls heading down the north trail and wondered where it went so I ran it Thursday. The climb is uneventful and I walked the last part of it 'cause it's steep and loose. But, heading down to the north is a short, steep, loose, tight descent with a couple hairpin turns in it. Pretty fun little section that feeds you out on the road heading up to the tank. Give it a shot next time you are in the area. It's over before you know it but it's a fun brake warmer!

Alive and Lurkin'

Anyone ever ride this?

Yes I have

Sent using Tap N Stalk
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    i have and its alright. I have also explored the section of trail that goes along T-Bird. Not heavily traveled and not AM chunk- but some real challenging real MTB. The west end stuff- is that around the north end of Shaw Butte? If so- Taco Beer knows that area.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibro View Post
    Yes I have
    Thanks for the excellent feedback...

Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    i have and its alright. I have also explored the section of trail that goes along T-Bird. Not heavily traveled and not AM chunk- but some real challenging real MTB. The west end stuff- is that around the north end of Shaw Butte? If so- Taco Beer knows that area.
    Shaw Butte is further west of 7th St but nothing terribly exciting over there so I've been starting from 7th St and heading east lately.

No glowing recommendations but still curious about that section. Was thinking I'd park at the church, take that trail north straight up the mountain, the ridgeline east and descend the section in question. Then maybe head east until I hit the trail that parallels Thunderbird Road and back up the ridge the the northeast. It looks like there might be a trail on the ridgeline heading west with several opportunities to bail to the north and south or continue on back to the descent in question and do it again.

Who knows... I'm likely too lazy to try something I know nothing about...

mtbr member
    Mike, have you tried the loop just east of the 7th street trail head? If you go under the road, up the 'toilet bowl' climb, as the trail goes down and begins to turn north just past the hotel, there is a trail that goes south: the tapatillo loop.
    Going down is so so, loose baby heads, not real techy. But once you start to come back up it can be pretty tough.
    I know the trails are marked on Dales map, don't know if they are named.
    It's a nice change from t100 proper.
    BTW, I've tried it heading west too, and it stinks, Hiking up the loose rock is the pits.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

No Clue Crew
    No, haven't tried it but always wondered a little about where it comes out. At the end of a short climb on T100 you stop at a clearing which is due north of 12th Place. I see people hiking up that trail and wonder about going down it but it doesn't look too exciting. Maybe I'll have to give that a shot next time I'm out...

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    The first one is known as T-100 hell climb, it's the trail 100 route (if you're taking the easy jeep road you are not on T-100) This route is easy going west bound and fun. Going east bound is much tougher and I very seldom clean it on my SS but can do it 8/10 on a geared bike.

The trail heading over the saddle to the water tank is tough but fun, best to lower the seat and ride it from the south to north, it's hike a bike north to south and I haven't/won't try it that way.

the other one again going down the steep rutted section is part of trail 100, for some reason google map has several parts of trail marked at T-100 but it is not, this apparently is another one. I don't normally ride up or hike up this section, I go around the mountain but always take this section going back down. It's fun but there has been a cheater line made over the years that goes left by the tree half way down, best route it to the right over the rocky section.

If you don't believe me about Google maps giving wrong intel on trail names the best section you can see this is near widow maker, on the trail you'll see the markers show trail 100 going along widow maker (from the west direction go right) but the maps Show trail 100 going left around an area I think is known as Birthday Hill.
    I normally take other side routes and only ride trail 100 as a connector or when I am feeling fat and slow and want something easy, some time I can show you some really fun routes but there will be climbing god to pay along the way.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    The first one is known as T-100 hell climb, it's the trail 100 route (if you're taking the easy jeep road you are not on T-100) This route is easy going west bound and fun. Going east bound is much tougher and I very seldom clean it on my SS but can do it 8/10 on a geared bike.
    Ahhh... it has a name. Yes, I've been working on that section for years. Only within the last year or so did I ever consider riding UP it W > E. The stars have to be in perfect alignment but I've made that climb a few times. Going E > W I like to get down into that little gully and then pick the nastiest line and climb it standing.

The trail heading over the saddle to the water tank is tough but fun, best to lower the seat and ride it from the south to north, it's hike a bike north to south and I haven't/won't try it that way.
    I wasn't sure it was the climb but when I got to the top of that section and saw the north half I knew it'd be fun.

the other one again going down the steep rutted section is part of trail 100, for some reason google map has several parts of trail marked at T-100 but it is not, this apparently is another one. I don't normally ride up or hike up this section, I go around the mountain but always take this section going back down. It's fun but there has been a cheater line made over the years that goes left by the tree half way down, best route it to the right over the rocky section.
    Yeah, that's Disneyland. That little payoff makes the climb around 100A worth it. I always take the rocky section myself. Have you ever ridden over that big rock on towards the right just before the first left turn? It's rock to rock so we've rolled that a few times. Makes it just a little more interesting. I've never really put any serious effort into climbing Disneyland.

If you don't believe me about Google maps giving wrong intel on trail names the best section you can see this is near widow maker, on the trail you'll see the markers show trail 100 going along widow maker (from the west direction go right) but the maps Show trail 100 going left around an area I think is known as Birthday Hill.
    It wasn't until just the other day I noticed the "new" googlemaps had T100 marked. And I noticed some marks were wrong as well.

mtbr member
    I normally take other side routes and only ride trail 100 as a connector or when I am feeling fat and slow and want something easy, some time I can show you some really fun routes but there will be climbing god to pay along the way.
    Anyone can log into their Google Map account, and draw/name trails as they see fit. A few hours to days later BOOM! the whole world thinks that's a trail name. Believe me it has taken great restraint for me not to name part of the trail 'Why the @#%&^ can't I clear this'.

******ed or Branded??
    I use to live next to that mountain area on the upper right marking. I lived on 24th st and dahlia. My wife and I use to hike that area with our dog before we moved. I've always wanted to bring my bike there but just never got around to it.

There are some techy stuff out there nothing like national or the sort but just steep and rocky. But it's super short and to get to the good stuff would require lots of HAB.
    One thing tho for a small area there are a ton of snakes. I have never seen so much snakes in one little area. Most of the snakes I've seen living here in AZ for the past 6-7 years was on that little mountain range area.

Probably would be cool to eventually get there and try things out but I'd wait for the winter and get your hiking legs in shape!

Snakes all over the place. The section of trail that runs along Cortez st east of Cave Creek Rd is where I can almost guarantee I'll see a snake on my rides, I think it's because of the horse stables on the other side of the road. It's a good breeding ground to feed mice & other little critters so the snakes know where to get an easier dinner. I've always called that section Rattlesnake hill because of it. It's also a great place to see King snakes too.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Snakes all over the place. The section of trail that runs along Cortez st east of Cave Creek Rd is where I can almost guarantee I'll see a snake on my rides, I think it's because of the horse stables on the other side of the road. It's a good breeding ground to feed mice & other little critters so the snakes know where to get an easier dinner. I've always called that section Rattlesnake hill because of it. It's also a great place to see King snakes too.
    You must be some sorta snake magnet.

I've been riding that same hill for 23 years and have never seen a snake there.
    (not saying that I want to)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmonkey View Post
    You must be some sorta snake magnet.

I've been riding that same hill for 23 years and have never seen a snake there.
    (not saying that I want to)
    I'm going to x2 this. I've only been riding for a little over 2 years but live very close to that area (above the east side Cave Creek hill climp (near the water tank)) and only once have I see a snake there ... and I wasn't even certain I saw one that time. I'm out there at least 3 times a week.

I'll have to be more attentive. :-)

Interestingly enough the only rattler that I've seen in the PMP was in that small canyon starting the west side of the Tapatio loop that GR1822 mentions above.

mtbr member
    X 3. I ride that section between 5-6am, or 9-10am and have never seen one. I'm not sure I've ever seen a snake west of the 51. I see a ton of coyote and javelin, but no snakes. Maybe its the different riding times?

Glutton for punishment
    Mike, I haven't ridden that trail but I've hiked it a bunch of times over the last year. I drop my kids at the gymnastics place down on Thunderbird and drive up there and hike for an hour (rather than sit in the smelly lobby of the gym center with all the other people). I haven't figured out a good way to get up to the top of that on a bike without carrying it, but it would be a nice steep descent for sure.

I guess I should state that my summer riding is normally midnight. I can't say I've seen them during the day but between 11pm-3am they are there.

mtbr member
    I guess I should state that my summer riding is normally midnight. I can't say I've seen them during the day but between 11pm-3am they are there.
    That explains it. I'm not out when they're frolicking!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm going to take your word for that one because I'm certainly not up at that time of night. Now I've got to get lights and give that a try sometime.

No Clue Crew
    So, looks like the consensus is not as much fun up there as I was hoping for without a lot of HaB and snakes!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Anyone can log into their Google Map account, and draw/name trails as they see fit. A few hours to days later BOOM! the whole world thinks that's a trail name. Believe me it has taken great restraint for me not to name part of the trail 'Why the @#%&^ can't I clear this'.
    Someone needs to get on their Google map account and draw in Overlook on Elden. Then they need to name it Ricochet. That would get those Flagstaff boys all worked up!!

mtbr member