Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dirt visionary

Anyone ever ridden McFadden Park TR #55

Hey was digging around looking for unridden gems and found some info on McFadden Park TR#55 to McFadden Peak . 98 miles from the valley elevation at the bottom is 5100 and elevation uptop is 7200 5.6 miles long and looks to be a trail that can be pedaled up also.

Anyone ever ridden it?
    Last edited by clockwork; 08-08-2010 at 07:20 PM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

dirt visionary
    Well I will let you guys know how it is when I get back

mtbr member
    never heard of it... got a shuttle too?

dirt visionary
    Yes what would people say to a 3 mile paved shuttle for a 5.5 mile ride Will know on tuesday how it is. According to a hikers gps there is only 58 foot of elevation gain going down so at the most there is one upward spot. rest is gravy. Pics look very scenic.

dirt visionary
    Looks like I am going tomorrow morning hopefully as my monday job pushed back a week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    Looks like I am going tomorrow morning hopefully as my monday job pushed back a week.
    Safe to say that from the responses you've been getting, we're all extremely excited to find out what you discover.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

dirt visionary
    I charge the batteries for the camera and helmet cam so we're set. I also found out there is a blackberry patch towards the end of the ride and they are in season right now. mmmm haven't had any fresh wildbeeries in sometime. Used to eat wild rashpberry all the time in Colo.

dirt visionary
    Here is a rough gps from a hiker.

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Damn, too bad my DH bike is down.
    Unless it's pretty buff, I wouldn't want to take the HT.
    Have fun and post up pics and ride report soon.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

dirt visionary
    Will do buddy. I am taking the sxtrail also for the first run just incase there is more up than expected.

dirt visionary
    Just bought some real topos and found another that just misses wilderness right down the road with a 12 mile shuttle half paved half dirt.. Can't wait now. I love exploring.

4.4 miles 7800 top 5000 bottom

Shred...it's the new drug
    said it once, I'll say it again...you are the "chris"topher colombus of AZ DH trails!!! thanks for the explorations!!!

The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009
    Im confused. Is this a downhill trail, like you get a shuttle to the top and its smooth sailin down, or is there a couple uphil sections? Whatever it is, it sounds cool.
    I Like Dirt.

dirt visionary
    Well as most know I am always on the hunt for more shuttlable trails. That being said I look for trails that have very little to no climbing for the masses.

All trails are just trails . Many I perfer to ride downhill instead up

Also sounds like you need to get out there buddy. There are a good number of trails in the state that are all downhill no climbing involved

mtbr member
    clock keep me posted... shaking the cobwebs out still but I should be cool to ride sometime this week, I'd be down to go help you clear / explore

dirt visionary
    Part 1. of our ride/exploration report. Trip from Globe to Mcfadden Peak

First off I will say that it was a long day filled with unique views.Daniel getting lost and some heart pounding views by aztec mountain.

Okay I will start from globe. Once filled up on petro from Am/Pm 2.53 gal Glad I waited like always to fillup in Globe. From here we headed north on 188 for about 15miles to 288. Turned onto 288 which was a first for me and continued on our way. At this point I realized 288 must be a back way as it feels like I am driving the road towards canyon lake .

salt river bridge

Salt river

we continue with great views of the lake along the way. And eventually the road turns eastward leaving the lake behind and below. AT this point road lines are gone and you know its a less traveled road.

So many great views and nice cliffs as we climb up. Very nice area can't believe its so close to the valley in comparison.

Some wild boar running up the bank after running up the road in front of us.

From here until the top of mcfadden peak we were in awe enjoying the pines and nice lush forest views. So no pics of some cool stuff.

From the top of Mcfadden 4 peaks behind my head

Looking north easterly

Looking towards globe and aztec peak

Official trail entrance

Trail narration:

sign says 4miles to circle ranch . Which is the pickup or starting point. Anyways trail is of course no used much so its a bit tricky to follow in places. I will post all the maps I have found for this at the end of the post.
    Trails starts in the pines ends in the pines. There are 2 options thus far. The route I took was mcfadden peak trail which IMO is a great AM ride. Yes there were times I wished I was on the DH rig but alot of times I was glad I was on my sxtrail as there was a fair amount of pedaling. no major grueling climbs at all or HAB. The trail is a mix of old forest road/old jeep trail/ single track/rocky and loose to smooth dirt. If I had to say what trail resembled it I would say sixshooter but you always in the pines just your trail tread changes.

There are 2 gates to go thru and one long slight upward slog that rewards you with the best rest/midway stop point eva Just as the slog tops out you get going again and next thing you know there is this big as canyon that starts right where you are off to the right .WOW a small creek coming in droping off mutiple tiers of lush growth as it make a nice long trip to the bottom . I have no pictures as daniel had the cam and was suppose to get some on his trip down . However he ended up going down another route by mistake totally missing it However it is on my helmet video and I will have that up soon.

After I took in the breath taking views and marveling at mother nature I continued on. From here is was a downhill run that takes you down down down, around a couple switchbacks and into an old forest road that rocky but fun. No warp speed stuff but cruising along.

After a bit the forest gets even more moist as I near running water I can hear. Sure enough nice creek flowing good. Damn this mountain has year round water. Enjoying the water and moving on I come across several blackberry patches hmmm good stuff there! I eat my fill and move on crossing the creek a bit later into another patch of berries . Makes me wonder what the bear count is up there lol. Short time later I am back at the truck.

Below are some pics from the pick up area and some Daniel got before getting lost... Yup he made a wrong turn somewhere and after 2 hrs ...1 hr longer than he should have been I take the wheels off my jedi and stow it in the truck load up some water in my back and proceed to pedal up the mountain in search of my riding bud. about 1.5 miles in and an hour of calling out I heard a holler back. Well it was behind me down the mountain. After playing holler back in forth game to try to confirm each other. I finally got a clear echo and knew he had gone down another route I was looking at on topo as another run. Anyways down I go hollering along the way eventually stopping in a good spot to get him over to me . Worked great and he got to go down that other way I was eyeing. He says that way is 100% downhill bike only.

Anyways here are the pics . Pt2 is our trip up aztec mountain afterwards.

Trail as it goes around back side back towards the south.

Creek and black berry patch on right

Bottom

dirt visionary
    Part2.

After we packed up it was time to head home ........or was it . Yup it was but I figured what the hell I will get home at 9:30pm but I need to go check out the top of Aztec Peak. I will keep this breif. The road up for the first 4 of six miles has a running creek to the left. Nice! Big tress unique landscape. Lots of rocks bolders and out crops. Everything is super lush and moist. Temp is nice and cool and by 6:30 it was boarding cold. While up here we got more panoramic views and checked out a few trails and signs to gain some more info. Here are those pics. We will be back very soon,

Again due to looking around and taking it all in there aren't as many pics.

This is the road up about 3 miles up. This is leading up to some falls.

Looking across to falls

Looking down the fall area

Looking back down the valley

Mini fall before big fall Gauging station behind it

a trail

up around the back going up to tower.

Looking off to the right (north)

Almost to the top stoping to look east.

and some more from around or near the peak

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I would be down for going there if you take another trip, looks awesome.

Losing Ground
    Nice job, clockwork. Props for those who are not afraid to explore! Thank you for sharing.

dirt visionary
    To me thats a part of what MTBing is about.

We also found a 2 mile long trail on top of aztec peak which can also be shuttled . Didn't have time to ride it but after some reading last night I wish I had as there is an apple orchard about mid point and its supposed to be good picking this time of year.

I will also mention there are lots of cliff dewellings I guess around this mountain also.

dirt visionary
    Oh a quick vid of the falls area from my point and shoot cam.

Losing Ground
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    To me thats a part of what MTBing is about.
    Amen brother.

I'm not a shuttler, so do suppose you could make a good loop out of it?

dirt visionary
    Yes . I say it can be done as an out and back starting at the bottom or a loop if you ride down then back up the road to the vehicle. Also there are other routes to connect in and make longer rides.

Here is a page with some decent top maps. Not as good as the up to date ones you can buy but good enough. Click on the mcfadden peak quad (pdf file) to get a good 7.5 min topo map.

http://www.trsar.org/topo_quads/topo_quads.htm

Losing Ground
    Nice! This is a great website. I've seen the Superstition SAR site before (there's a link to it from the post above). It's awesome too if you're into hiking in the Wilderness. Thanks clockwork!

My other ride is your mom
    Nicely done......will check it out soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast