mtbr member

Anyone Else Destroying ALum. Freehubs lately ?

I have now destroyed 2 freehubs in the past couple of months. I have attached a photo of one of them. One (attached photo) is a dt swiss freehub from a syncros wheelset and the other freehub is from a Stans Arch.

I have left the Stans one alone, resigned on the fact that the freehub and cassette have now become one part

However the cassette from the syncros started to have one of the cogs slipping... So I tried to get the cassette off of the freehub.. No way is that cassette coming off...

Anyway, I am getting a new STEEL freehub for the Syncros wheel..
    DT Swiss Steel Freehub Body - Wheelbuilder.com

I am no longer a weight weenie when it comes to drivetrain

What the heck is going on ? Are freehubs being made softer lately ? Never had this issue before...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone Else Destroying ALum. Freehubs lately ?-100_0600.jpg  

Below Par on the Gnar

My other ride is your mom
    Clearly, you're the problem....you're just crushing it with your superior leg strength. Scale back, drink more....

How much further ???
    My cassette is putting some deep groves in my Chris King Freehub. I too am debating going with a steel freehub. Its a b!tch getting my cassette off currently. I actually sheared off the top three cogs on my old 8-speed shimao cassette on my previous bike. Guess I need to drink more too.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    have you tried some KY?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hell yeah, I destroy freehubs every time I destroy spodes, and that's every time bro!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Give it a crank
    There's nothing wrong with aluminum freehub bodies. The problem is in using a cassette without a spider.

Check out this thread: Did my cassette do this to my hub?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Old problem. Shimano always used steel freehubs, until they started with titanium on the high end stuff. Lots of hub manufacturers in the 2000s made their own aluminum freehubs that resulted in a far lighter hubset than what you could get with shimano, but you obviously know what the tradeoff is. CK did the same, but offered a steel version for those who had the problem. Very old and current low end cassettes come on a "carrier", but newer ones have separate cogs that save weight. Shimano, who made the cassette AND the hubs, never had a problem, because their system worked fine. Lots of other manufacturers didn't "upgrade/update" their designs as the cassettes got lighter with loose cogs. I think it was a "me too!" type situation at first with the other companies not doing their homework first.

There are likely a few still out there, maybe even more than a few, but at this point it's relatively well known what the problem is. I had aluminum on my DT hubs and there was a little scoring and the cassette needed a little pounding, but it was never bad. I'd expect to see this mostly with cheap light Taiwan stuff these days. It seems like the few quality ones that are still using aluminum are doing so with better alloys, while I'm sure there are the cheap knock-offs that are just using butter still. I'd suspect Stans and others source their stuff from overseas OEM catalogs.

What really probably did these in were a whole series of lower end SRAM cassettes, PG950s or something, from a few years back that were all "loose" cogs and would just eat away at the soft freehubs. It's just a combination of what was meant to be used together and what isn't really good enough for the application.
    Last edited by Jayem; 04-23-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.