mtbr member

Anyone in the east valley have a star nut setter?

Hey all, I'm building a new bike today and the only tool I'm missing is a star nut setter. I work in Mesa and live in Queen Creek, so if anyone along that path has one that they'd be willing to lend this afternoon, I'd love to not have to go into a shop. Please let me know if you can help me out.

mtbr member
    I've used an extra long screw for this. Go to ace or the depot and buy 4-5" screw the same size. Screw it all the way in and then tap it in. Hold the screw and move it to make sure you're centered.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    I've used an extra long screw for this. Go to ace or the depot and buy 4-5" screw the same size. Screw it all the way in and then tap it in. Hold the screw and move it to make sure you're centered.
    If you do this method, it helps to hold the fork in a vice. I did this for years - it always goes in crooked but eventually you can tap it into alignment - you just gotta believe! I did finally buy a star nut setter though. Ruppguts - I live in Ahwatukee and will be working on bikes this evening (after 7) if you wish to drive over and set your nut with the proper tool

dirt visionary
    I use the butt end of a small screw driver and use a hammer on the tip to punch them down perfect set each time
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Braaaapp!
    What about a socket with an OD about the same as the fork's ID? You can thread a bolt/washer into the star nut thru the socket, then tap the whole thing in. Remove the bolt, remove the socket, and drink a brew in celebration.

A plethora of pinatas
    I have one and I live around Chandler Blvd and Cooper. Send me a PM if you want to come by and use it.
    Marty

Just Joshin' ya!
    I have one too, but live in South phoenix. PM me if you need to use it.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Low speed, High Drag
    I've got one, and I live in Queen Creek. I'm over at Ironwood/Ocotillo in the Cambria development.

PM me if you wanna use it. I've got a tube cutter, if you need that, too.
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the offers and advice everyone. I put this up and then forgot to check back in my excitement to build my bike. I ended up using a three inch bolt and with a little luck it worked out. Thanks again.