DFL>DNF>DNS

Anyone down for a ride this afternoon? (Tues. 11/19)

Looking for some ride company today, out of work @2:45. Prefer east valley, S. Mtn, Hawes, Gold Canyon, etc. Post up or PM me if interested and we'll pick a spot.
    Last edited by freeskier46; 11-19-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey; We're now in AJ for the 'winter'; usually ride Gold Canyon/Hawes/Tonto.
    Usually we ride at 1PM; always looking for company; Xctry and some gnar is always welcome. Be pleased to show you new stuff '13 at GC.
    TS
    PM me

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I could make it out to GC by 3:30p if that works. Not sure about next week though, I'll let you know.

Since I had no takers y'day, I went for a Tucsonian style ride, i.e. Techy Taco Tues ride @SoMo. Up 24th St, Natty to the saddle, back down Natty proper and finished with a bomb down Javelina. Do that loop enough & you'll be a master of tech in no time.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    May 2012
    How many miles of trails are out a Gold Canyon these days? I have few friends thinking about meeting up around thanksgiving and riding there. I live 75 miles away and not sure if it worth 1:15 each way to get there unless the I get enough time in saddle to make it worth while. My general rule is you have to spend more time on the bike than in the car to make it a worth while unless you are driving to avoid weather.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Worth the drive JoePAz, with limited re-tracing you can easily put together a 30 mile ride. There's enough out there for 40-45 miles if you get a bit creative. Do THIS route and it'll get you covered!!

GPX file is listed in the Library as GC_Etch-a-Sketch.

Enjoy!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Worth the drive JoePAz, with limited re-tracing you can easily put together a 30 mile ride. There's enough out there for 40-45 miles if you get a bit creative. Do THIS route and it'll get you covered!!

GPX file is listed in the Library as GC_Etch-a-Sketch.

Enjoy!!
    Thanks for the tip. I guess it will be worth the drive.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Darch
    Hey Vreeskier; thats a nice plan of the trails; I see that you got over to Kiki and Snowbird too.
    Haven't been on Quartz for awhile but maybe now most horses ie stables are gone, it might exist as a mtbtrail...again. I'll ck it out.
    Go fer it JP and post your impressions. Make sure that you hit the 'tech loop' as the sign was missing last time.
    cheers.
    TS

Darch
    Hey Freeskier; thats a nice plan of the trails; I see that you got over to Kiki and Snowbird too.
    Haven't been on Quartz for awhile but maybe now most horses ie stables are gone, it might exist as a mtbtrail...again. I'll ck it out.
    Go fer it JP and post your impressions. Make sure that you hit the 'tech loop' as the sign was missing last time.
    cheers.
    TS

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I rode gold canyon this weekend and it was lots of fun. Missed the tech loop, but did do Quartz Ridge.

Overall it was fun and worth the drive. Plenty of trails to ride in the area. I did 19 miles, but could have done more. My ridding buddies were kind of spent so I cut it short. K-trail was fun. I l liked the way it cut over that wash so many time. I was 3rd in line on the section and it was fun watching the lead guy out of the corner of my eye going right back to where I was. The builders did a nice job of using that wash to make ti really fun. Certainly not a hiker trail.

Quartz Ridge was really fun too. Not an easy trail and always required concentration. However lots of fun as I like the the tight stuff where you really need to work the bike and constantly consider line choice and tire placement. The only downside was a lot of cactus on the trail. Some how I never got a flat.

I do what to ride the area again. The challenge will be to get the time to get down there and ride. I left the house at 6:30am and started on the trail about 8:15 and did not get home till 3:45 following lunch & beers with my friends. All day ride there and I don't get that many. Sure some time can shaved off (ie lunch & beer), but it is big time commitment.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    hey JoePAZ;
    thanks for the feedback; we do need to get a new TechLoop sign.
    Did you get 'out' to Snowbird and Secret? Next time.
    Let me know when you'll want to come back for a tour.Theres some fun stuff at scorpion rock; where "K" leaves Lost gold mine.
    Where do you ride? Perhaps you could give us an orientation...
    cheers
    TS

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TransitionSenior View Post
    hey JoePAZ;
    thanks for the feedback; we do need to get a new TechLoop sign.
    Did you get 'out' to Snowbird and Secret? Next time.
    Let me know when you'll want to come back for a tour.Theres some fun stuff at scorpion rock; where "K" leaves Lost gold mine.
    Where do you ride? Perhaps you could give us an orientation...
    cheers
    TS
    Here is where I rode.
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Exploration with Cliff and Chris near Gold Canyon | Times and Records | Strava

We got to snowbird as we were looking for Quartz, but my riding buddies did not want to add the extra miles. So we skipped Snowbird which I think was a mistake. I was not the leader on this trip so I pretty much when with the flow. When I ride solo I am willing to ride hard and beat myself into the ground effort wise. When riding with others sometimes I need to just roll with it. I live in Anthem and ride BCT, Sonoran, Deems, Cave Creek mostly solo.
    Joe

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I'll be heading out again tomorrow @3p if anyone is interested. Can't make it out to Gold Canyon though, I'm a bit crunched for time tomorrow. So, it'll be a Pima Cyn start, then either a sessioning ride on National or a chill XC cruise on DC. I need to be finished by 5pm.

JoePAz, glad you liked the trails out there. Yeah, that's a bit of a haul for sure. Do the big double loop next time for more miles. I think that's why I never ride the White Tanks or Estrella Mtn Park, I figure if I'm driving all the way from Queen Creek I'm going for a big ride on the BCT!!

TS: How are the conditions on the switchbacked descent on Snowbird? The one & only time I rode it, it was severely eroded/rutted. I won't ride that section again.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Did Snowbird last weekend for the first time. Not bad at all-could use a bit more riders on it though. Ruts etc were nothing that stuck out in my mind. Back side of Vortex had some poorly placed ruts from the last round of storms. Nothing earthshattering, but kept you on your toes for sure.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Free46:
    Snowbird has survived the summer pretty well; needs a bit more work on switchbacks; but they ride pretty well if you maintain speed control; tight and techy is the way they were built. Will add some more gravel; scarce up there; and monitor. Lets do it again 1 day.
    cheers/
    TS

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    ... Back side of Vortex had some poorly placed ruts from the last round of storms. Nothing earth shattering, but kept you on your toes for sure.
    Or in the dirt... I was lead in my group heading down there and about 2/3 of way got stuck in the the bottom of the rut instead on the side. The next think I knew I was on the dirt. Not fun, but other than few scraps none the worse for wear. It happens.
    Joe

DFL>DNF>DNS
    The south side of the Vortex definitely needs some TLC, the heavy summer storms did quite a number on that segment.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Or in the dirt... I was lead in my group heading down there and about 2/3 of way got stuck in the the bottom of the rut instead on the side. The next think I knew I was on the dirt. Not fun, but other than few scraps none the worse for wear. It happens.
    That is the worst drainage section of trail I have seen out there. I am not sure what the answer is. Any trailbuilders have input on how to fix the long rut on the South (wset) side of Vortex?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am no trailbuilder, but water will always find the easiest path down a mtn. Maybe the best thing to do would be leave the ditch the water created and shift the trail a few feet over.
    Joe