mtbr member

Anyone that can show a beginner the Sonoran Trail System early morning 6/23 or 6/24

I've been riding for about once a week for a few months now. I've done a bunch of White Tanks, and other popular trails at least once to include Deems, Hawes, Trail 100, etc.

I'm interested in doing the Sonoran Trail System, but don't want to do it alone for the first time. Anyone interested in being a tour guide?

ben

Go Speed Racer
    I may be up to it on Sunday... Can you start at about 5:30 am?

mtbr member
    Yep , I can start at anytime. Just help me out with good directions to where I should meet you. I'll be coming from the El Mirage/Surprise area.

I appreciate the offer and will do my best to not make you regret it.

ben

mtbr member
    Do you have your climbing legs? Some of the hills there can really lay the beat down on you.

mtbr member
    I have to admit I'm not the best climber. I walk less and less each time I go out, but sometimes my will power isn't as strong as my legs and vice versa. For example, at Hawes, I made it past the first water damn on Heart Attack Hill, but not the second. I had to walk up to the next flat spot and catch my breath. Was able to make the second leg of that climb though afterwards. I didn't have to walk anywhere else on that ride, including Mines trail. I feel like some of my struggles that day was purely because I was seeing everything for the first time.

If you really feel Sonoran Trail is too much, I'll definately listen.

ben

mtbr member
    Nah man, Sonoran isn't awful. It's just there's some good hills there and they'll make you earn it. The one right out of the gate from the trailhead is a pretty mean one, especially since you're not warm and limber then.

Worst case, get off and walk or stop a minute. No shame.

BTW: Sonoran it one of my favorite places to ride. I was going there two three times a week in the winter. I heard they finished a bunch of new trails. Need to check it out one of these days.

Go Speed Racer
    Looks like the wife made plans for us tomorrow... I am available for a ride next Saturday morning if you still want to go... I agree there are some killer climbs, but the downhill trip makes it all worth it. One of my favorites also

mtbr member
    I could possibly motivate myself to go out there tomorrow morning. Even at 5:30, I bet that place is a zoo though. Parking is kind of limited, and the lot seems to fill up fast on the weekend. Lots of hikers, and it's a popular horse destination. Or did that die down with the heat?

Anyway, my tires are getting bald and the brakes need help, so I've been riding pretty conservatively(read slow) lately, but if that's not a problem, I'd be willing to go out there with you. I'll catch up on the climbs.

How long would you want to stay out? You can do both of the main loops there and it'll take about an hour and a half.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I could possibly motivate myself to go out there tomorrow morning. Even at 5:30, I bet that place is a zoo though. Parking is kind of limited, and the lot seems to fill up fast on the weekend. Lots of hikers, and it's a popular horse destination. Or did that die down with the heat?

Anyway, my tires are getting bald and the brakes need help, so I've been riding pretty conservatively(read slow) lately, but if that's not a problem, I'd be willing to go out there with you. I'll catch up on the climbs.

How long would you want to stay out? You can do both of the main loops there and it'll take about an hour and a half.
    Awesome Eazy_E. I agree that it might be busy, but hoping the heat will cut the crowd.

We could stay as long as it feels good. I've done longer rides (length of time). The heat will be our biggest enemy. I've been hydrating all day. I was out driving around town this morning at at 9 a.m. my truck said it was 90 degrees out. Not too bad and I expect we'd be long done before then anyways.

I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info.

ben

mtbr member
    Ended up riding with Eazy-E this morning at the Sonoran Preserve.

We did both loops, not sure the names. Started with the big climb and harder loop to the North, then intersected later to the lower loop to the South.

I did a fair amount of walking on the bigger hills, but had fun nonetheless. It was nice to meet and ride with Eazy-E. He's a cool dude. Real patient with me and friendly. Definately recommend riding with him to anyone.

ben

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    Ended up riding with Eazy-E this morning at the Sonoran Preserve.

We did both loops, not sure the names. Started with the big climb and harder loop to the North, then intersected later to the lower loop to the South.

I did a fair amount of walking on the bigger hills, but had fun nonetheless. It was nice to meet and ride with Eazy-E. He's a cool dude. Real patient with me and friendly. Definately recommend riding with him to anyone.

ben
    sounds like you're pimping him out...! :P

meow?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamunchien View Post
    sounds like you're pimping him out...! :P

meow?
    If I were pimping him out, I would have told you what he was wearing...

ben