mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Anyone in AZ ride a Pivot Firebird 27.5?

I've been looking ant this bike and I'm seriously considering getting one. Bike Detail | Pivot Cycles - Mountain Bikes for XC, Trail, Downhill

I was wondering if any of my AZ brethren could share your experiences with the 27.5 Bird or the 26" version. I've been wanting a Ibis Mojo HDR because I think it is a beautiful bike, and 5-7 guys in my riding group are now on an Ibis. I think the looks of the Firebird are kind of bulky and it has too many logos, but I'm willing to look past that if it is a sweet ride. Plus, its an AZ company and it would be cool to support a local manufacturer.

Any thoughts?

Kathleen in AZ
    I demoed one thru Rage Bikes. Loved it so much, I picked up my own. Don't have that many miles on it yet, but it is the perfect SoMo bike It is not, however, perfect for commuting to work on DC and 48th St. I am looking forward to riding it up at Flag this weekend.

parenting for gnarness
    i have a 26in Bird for 2 yrs, as do many many other locals. Its a great bike, but definitely AM. I always want my 29er climbing, but love it coming down. usually I ride it with flats, but with clipless its a much better climber (duh). Handles everything at Somo, Sedona, Flagstaff. I havent ridden the 27.5, personally I'm leery of another set of tire sizes, but I've heard good things about the bike and like Pivot as a company.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    So how is the Bird for climbing up National? That is the trail I ride the most.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Lloyd View Post
    So how is the Bird for climbing up National? That is the trail I ride the most.
    the Bird is fine, I'm the problem . its an AM bike with a slack geo and (for me) flats. if you climb your current AM bike well, the Bird will too. I used to ride a heavier, single-pivot Heckler but rode National almost weekly and I climbed much better.

My 26 build was sub-33. flats were the biggest difference maker in climbing for me, but with all the Bird can do on the descent it was a tradeoff. One specific is that the 170mm fork on mine does not lockout.

A 27.5 should be slightly better climbing. Durtgurl might be able to weigh in. They are a local company, see if you can get in touch for their demos or maybe pick one up and take it to Somo. Rage could help you with that probably. KennyB (on here a lot) also works for Pivot.

Pivotal figure
    The Firebird was actually designed with National trail and Moab's Porcupine Rim in mind so it works great on those and similar terrain. I ride mine for everything, including 24 hr endurance races but I'm kinda weird. Haven't ridden the 27.5 version much but the bigger wheels do help get over rocks a bit easier without losing that "fun" feeling.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    I pull the FB out of the quiver when I just want to have fun. Love the bike and Pivot is a straight up company (and local)

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Lloyd View Post
    I've been looking ant this bike and I'm seriously considering getting one. Bike Detail | Pivot Cycles - Mountain Bikes for XC, Trail, Downhill

I was wondering if any of my AZ brethren could share your experiences with the 27.5 Bird or the 26" version. I've been wanting a Ibis Mojo HDR because I think it is a beautiful bike, and 5-7 guys in my riding group are now on an Ibis. I think the looks of the Firebird are kind of bulky and it has too many logos, but I'm willing to look past that if it is a sweet ride. Plus, its an AZ company and it would be cool to support a local manufacturer.

Any thoughts?
    If all your buddies ride Ibis, you have to too. Nothing you wrote indicates your are remotely interested in the Firebird.

Bob

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Oh I'm interested. I rented an Ibis HD and a Ripley in Downiville earlier this month. Both bikes left me wanting more. The bird seems more all mountain and less XC then the Ibis bikes. I have a 29r SS for XC. What I need is a long travel bomber that I can still pedal uphill. I think the Bird with 27.5s would be perfect. I'm just curious to hear what people who have actually riden the bike think. I won't be able to demo one until October.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Oh I'm interested. I rented an Ibis HD and a Ripley in Downiville earlier this month. Both bikes left me wanting more. The bird seems more all mountain and less XC then the Ibis bikes. I have a 29r SS for XC. What I need is a long travel bomber that I can still pedal uphill. I think the Bird with 27.5s would be perfect. I'm just curious to hear what people who have actually riden the bike think. I won't be able to demo one until October.
    I just took my 27.5 DurtBurd (yes, it has a name) on a heat stroke ride up Mormon and down National with some DC thrown in to get me from and to my 'tukee garage. Strava verifies that on this bike, I am both descending and climbing way faster than I have recently done on my Lenz 29ers (one lighter and one heavier than the 'burd). Coming from riding mostly 29ers over the past 8 years, the bike is much more frisky and quick. It is more fun!! And I have no problems on step-ups and long uphill grunts. Yes, this bike pedals uphill just fine. Then point it down, drop the KS post, and it is big-stupid-grin fun.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    I just took my 27.5 DurtBurd (yes, it has a name) on a heat stroke ride up Mormon and down National with some DC thrown in to get me from and to my 'tukee garage. Strava verifies that on this bike, I am both descending and climbing way faster than I have recently done on my Lenz 29ers (one lighter and one heavier than the 'burd). Coming from riding mostly 29ers over the past 8 years, the bike is much more frisky and quick. It is more fun!! And I have no problems on step-ups and long uphill grunts. Yes, this bike pedals uphill just fine. Then point it down, drop the KS post, and it is big-stupid-grin fun.
    *like* DurtyBurd

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Cool! I think most of the people that have Firebirds like them. Does that mean you will? No idea. Kind if like most of the people that love 27.5 are coming from 29ers. Not sure if that means going from 26 to 27.5 will mean that they are sluggish relative to a 26. My test test ride of a 27.5 bike made me more interested in 29ers. I would suggest trying to find someone that had a bird and moved on and see what caused the bike to not work for them. If its "going uphill" then it might not be the bike for you. But it might be.

The bird is a good bike but after multiple demos it was just "too big" for me. I like 140mm for my riding. This probably doesnt help your decision making.

Bob

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    *like* DurtyBurd
    I like that they always lose in the playoffs!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    If all your buddies ride Ibis, you have to too. Nothing you wrote indicates your are remotely interested in the RFX.

Bob
    You're welcome
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've ridden a 26 Firebird in North Van, BC and Whistler for the last three years. I have it built up pretty heavy, flats, 2.5 Minions/170Solo Air. Its a very precise climber and bomber descender. I don't rush the climbs with this bike, but legs willing it is great on technical climbs, plodding on gravel roads, but pointed downhill its just bombs through everything.

I was also in Phoenix in May and had the privilege of riding the 27.5 Firebird.
    Arizona Road Trip ? Phoenix and Sedona with Pivot Bikes | Sharon and Lee - Just another day

In Phoenix the 27.5 bike had hans dampf tires, clipless and a 2014 160 Float, so it was a much easier bike to pedal then my 26r. I found it really carried its speed well on the short downs and back ups, I didn't have to pick the best line for it to make it and still a very capable bike. Felt right at home with it.

I've ridden the Ibis HD once. I didn't like the higher standover, but other then that it was a fun bike. If all your friend have the HD, you gotta be different! Pivot is a great company.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    intense tracer 275. this is what I ride. 26er uzzi all mt. build. the tracer is about the same, but with less travel. climbs good and descends like a missile. the vpp suspension is perfect for these az rocks. also the tracer is usa made. the firebird is from asia.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone in AZ ride a Pivot Firebird 27.5?-gilbert-temple-uzzi-007.jpg  

RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    intense tracer 275. this is what I ride. 26er uzzi all mt. build. the tracer is about the same, but with less travel. climbs good and descends like a missile. the vpp suspension is perfect for these az rocks. also the tracer is usa made. the firebird is from asia.
    Intense is the Microsoft of the bike industry, quickly churning out poorly executed (straight?, no, you must have bent it) designs faster than the competition. I would gladly hand my money to an Asian that can perform their job properly over some smoke-head in CA.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Mrwhlr;10533899]Intense is the Microsoft of the bike industry, quickly churning out poorly executed (straight?, no, you must have bent it) designs faster than the competition. I would gladly hand my money to an Asian that can perform their job properly over some smoke-head.

what intense bikes have you owned, and what problems did you have that would give you your intense cycles hater OPINION! I have no issues with myUzzi, its been amazing. You really should invest your
    money in the US. Your job depends on it!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    [QUOTE=BIGHORN LEW;10534191]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Intense is the Microsoft of the bike industry, quickly churning out poorly executed (straight?, no, you must have bent it) designs faster than the competition. I would gladly hand my money to an Asian that can perform their job properly over some smoke-head.

what intense bikes have you owned, and what problems did you have that would give you your intense cycles hater OPINION! I have no issues with myUzzi, its been amazing. You really should invest your
    money in the US. Your job depends on it!

That's racist!