mtbr member

Anyone in Arizona purchased a Carver Fat bike suspension fork?

Looking to see if any of you Arizona fatbike owners have purchased a suspension fork for your fatty, with the Carver Trans-Fat fork in particular. If so, what are your thoughts on it. After a recent trip down National on my On-One Fatty, There is still a need, IMHO for suspension on the fat tire bikes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    lol...yes, a rigid fat bike is like riding a rigid bike...You can do a lot of stuff on it for sure, but it's not like having 4" of suspension, at most, it's like 1/2" of suspension to me. Supposedly sometime later this year RS is going to have a fatbike fork. It's been in the rumor mill for a while on the fatbike forum. Otherwise, there are options, like C-dale leftys, old and new inverted DH forks, and the carver fork. The carver is produced in taiwan under a few other names, personally I'd wait or do something cheaper.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051 View Post
    Looking to see if any of you Arizona fatbike owners have purchased a suspension fork for your fatty, with the Carver Trans-Fat fork in particular. If so, what are your thoughts on it. After a recent trip down National on my On-One Fatty, There is still a need, IMHO for suspension on the fat tire bikes.
    wow, that never would have occurred to me, but I really only use my fatty for sand. I would think the ride would be nuts - undampened rebound from the wheels plus dive from the fork.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    wow, that never would have occurred to me, but I really only use my fatty for sand. I would think the ride would be nuts - undampened rebound from the wheels plus dive from the fork.
    Err, every other bike with suspension has "undamped rebound from the tires" though. I've never heard anyone on a fatbike here saying the tire rebound causes any problems, if it did, I'd imagine this would be a huge problem in DH riding too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Err, every other bike with suspension has "undamped rebound from the tires" though. I've never heard anyone on a fatbike here saying the tire rebound causes any problems, if it did, I'd imagine this would be a huge problem in DH riding too.
    well of course they do, but its so much more noticeable in the fatty esp. with lower pressure. I'd have to try it to see how it works. I think a lockable fork has some merit to it for some purposes, but also some drawbacks - 1) loss of efficiency for any fork 2) maintenance to stanchions and seals, internals in salty, sandy conditions.

I still find myself struggling with the way the fatty handles drops and jumps which would be trivial on a squish bike. Its boingier, less predictable and more impact on my body all at the same time.

anyway, not trying to criticize the OP's idea - just not sure its for me. Definitely like to hear feedback.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I ride my fatty on drops, jumps, etc. It handles like a rigid bike to me. The only difference is that I feel it does absorb more than a straight rigid bike like a 29er with small tires. That means the rebound and impacts on that 29er is harsher. I do doubles, sometimes mis-judged doubles where I way overshoot the landing, some drops, sometimes unplanned drops where I come down a lot harder than I intend. All of these feel to me like a rigid bike with maybe 1/2" of "suspension", but they all feel better than doing the same stuff on a rigid 29er. I try to refrain from telling people that riding a fatbike with the huge tires feels like suspension, because it doesn't, but I rode a rigid 29er for the last few years and that was one hell of a harsh ride. The rigid fatbike is a harsh ride too, but I feel it is funner to jump and do some stuff on due to the tires absorbing a little more. I can tell that difference, even if it is still like riding a rigid bike compared to an FS bike.

I don't see that there would be any weird issues with running a suspension fork. We ran 1700g Gazzaloddi 3.0s on DH bikes for the longest time, and now we run tires that are 1" bigger. Do suspension forks stop working? Course not. It's going to work just fine with a suspension fork and do everything that it would do on any hardtail. The logistics are just a mess due to the tire and hub size.

My point is that a 29er rigid bike is an even boingier ride. I do aggressive stuff on the fatbike that I wouldn't consider on the 29er rigid. I'm not sure why you are convinced that a suspension fork isn't going to work on a fatbike. Seems odd.

I joke that my fatbike has 5" of suspension because of the 4" tires, the steel fork and the carbon bars, but in reality, it handles mostly like a rigid bike. I think there's some expectation or perception that fatbikes ride like a cadillac due to the huge tires. Maybe that's the source of the ill handling perception? You only take the pressure way down when on snow and sand, otherwise the tires squirm and handle/roll like crap on other surfaces. Even still, it rides like a rigid. Better than a 29 rigid, but still like a rigid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm not 100% that what I experience is "undamped rebound from the tires"... but, my experience (I believe) is since there is no suspension to soak up the terrain, the tires have to take in ALL of the bumps, and therefore have to "bounce" back to normal ride height. Do this a half-dozen times while hammering down some rocky goodness on East Coast trails and you're quickly bordering being completely out of control.
    So - I'm not looking for comfort from a suspension fork, just a bit more control on the descents! ;-)
    contendo iratus - Race Angry!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I'm not 100% that what I experience is "undamped rebound from the tires"... but, my experience (I believe) is since there is no suspension to soak up the terrain, the tires have to take in ALL of the bumps, and therefore have to "bounce" back to normal ride height. Do this a half-dozen times while hammering down some rocky goodness on East Coast trails and you're quickly bordering being completely out of control.
    So - I'm not looking for comfort from a suspension fork, just a bit more control on the descents! ;-)
    I just did it on a night-ride (in freezing rain no less) 10 minutes ago Lots of roots and everything else, and yes, rigid bike bounce like crazy (like I mentioned at the start).

I'm not sure what you are talking about, since the quote you used above is when I was talking about how a suspension fork on a big (or small) tire is NOT a problem. It sucks up the impacts and it will still work fine with a "big" tire. The context was a fatbike with a suspension fork, not a rigid fatbike.

Dirt is Fun
    Apr 2011
    I ride my fatty on drops, jumps, etc. It handles like a rigid bike to me. The only difference is that I feel it does absorb more than a straight rigid bike like a 29er with small tires. That means the rebound and impacts on that 29er is harsher. I do doubles, sometimes mis-judged doubles where I way overshoot the landing, some drops, sometimes unplanned drops where I come down a lot harder than I intend. All of these feel to me like a rigid bike with maybe 1/2" of "suspension", but they all feel better than doing the same stuff on a rigid 29er. I try to refrain from telling people that riding a fatbike with the huge tires feels like suspension, because it doesn't, but I rode a rigid 29er for the last few years and that was one hell of a harsh ride. The rigid fatbike is a harsh ride too, but I feel it is funner to jump and do some stuff on due to the tires absorbing a little more. I can tell that difference, even if it is still like riding a rigid bike compared to an FS bike.

I don't see that there would be any weird issues with running a suspension fork. We ran 1700g Gazzaloddi 3.0s on DH bikes for the longest time, and now we run tires that are 1" bigger. Do suspension forks stop working? Course not. It's going to work just fine with a suspension fork and do everything that it would do on any hardtail. The logistics are just a mess due to the tire and hub size.

My point is that a 29er rigid bike is an even boingier ride. I do aggressive stuff on the fatbike that I wouldn't consider on the 29er rigid. I'm not sure why you are convinced that a suspension fork isn't going to work on a fatbike. Seems odd.

I joke that my fatbike has 5" of suspension because of the 4" tires, the steel fork and the carbon bars, but in reality, it handles mostly like a rigid bike. I think there's some expectation or perception that fatbikes ride like a cadillac due to the huge tires. Maybe that's the source of the ill handling perception? You only take the pressure way down when on snow and sand, otherwise the tires squirm and handle/roll like crap on other surfaces. Even still, it rides like a rigid. Better than a 29 rigid, but still like a rigid.

Jayem,

What is your opinion of Risse Trixxy fat fork? Not too many options for forks right now, and yea the carver inverted looks sweet, but in reality I know it is just a cookie cutter Taiwan inverted fork. My only guff on the Trixxy is it's 6.5lbs weight...ouch!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyknobbies View Post
    Jayem,

What is your opinion of Risse Trixxy fat fork? Not too many options for forks right now, and yea the carver inverted looks sweet, but in reality I know it is just a cookie cutter Taiwan inverted fork. My only guff on the Trixxy is it's 6.5lbs weight...ouch!

Cheers
    Hey DK, I'm not trying to be argumentative or confrontational here... and now that I got that out of the way ;-)

what do you mean by "cookie cutter Taiwan inverted fork."? The reason I ask, well I have a few... you don't see many inverted MTB forks. So, it seems like it would be a one-off design. Did you mean "generic" possibly - as in they use lower-end components, etc?? I'm actually considering a Carver (Trans-fat and their fork) is the other reason I am asking.
    The pictures of the Trans-fat with the Trixxie on Carver's website is seriously tremendous though.

Dirt is Fun
    Apr 2011
    Hey DK, I'm not trying to be argumentative or confrontational here... and now that I got that out of the way ;-)

what do you mean by "cookie cutter Taiwan inverted fork."? The reason I ask, well I have a few... you don't see many inverted MTB forks. So, it seems like it would be a one-off design. Did you mean "generic" possibly - as in they use lower-end components, etc?? I'm actually considering a Carver (Trans-fat and their fork) is the other reason I am asking.
    The pictures of the Trans-fat with the Trixxie on Carver's website is seriously tremendous though.
    Sorry, Yea I meant "generic". I am in the same boat, shopping for a suspension fork for my fattie. As of now it looks like the only two good options are the Carver or the Risse. The Risse is cheaper, heavier..looks pretty old school Bender style! The Trans-Fat looks sweet, bigger stanchions, single crown, 2 lbs lighter. But I question how they ride, hold up, and can you get stanchion guards? Being in AZ, I do not want to run an inverted without guards. I haven't heard much feedback on the Trixxy, have read some good things about the trans-fat but no one has huge miles on it yet, and they are not AZ riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The inverted forks are not discouraging to me, if I felt the need, I would approach it similar to my KTM and find some way to affix some guards to prevent direct nicks and dings of that stanchions. I just need to find someone to buy my Ti Mukluk first ;-) Forrest@Carver seems very helpful and I like interacting with him. I hear all good things about Carver and Bikeman so that goes a long way. I might try out the Carver fork on my Mukluk and swap frames later. I'll be sure to post something either way.

Elitest thrill junkie

what do you mean by "cookie cutter Taiwan inverted fork."?
    It's made in Taiwan and marketed under several brands which claim it to be their "own" fork/design.

I wouldn't trust the risse guys very far, watching them force their dog to jump with a 10lb lock around it's collar while they were stoned at downiville was enough to dissuade me, not even getting into their lackluster product lines.