mtbr member

Anybody running Conti MountainKings?

as a rear tire? If so, what's your impression?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Craig seems to like them

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i wore out three rear 2.4 MKs in a little over 7 months,, and that's averaging 4-6 hours riding a week.

on the plus side,, you'll never need to worry about refilling the stans...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    i wore out three rear 2.4 MKs in a little over 7 months,, and that's averaging 4-6 hours riding a week.

on the plus side,, you'll never need to worry about refilling the stans...
    "Wore out" as in they went bald, lost traction, or wore out as in freak sidewall rip?

I have it on the front of my FS bike, and it looks knew with probably 200 miles on it. I love how easy it was to mount, and how snug it fits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    Craig seems to like them
    yea, he talked me into it for the Front of the Anthem. We're going to try it as a rear of the Niner, but he recommended a different Contintial that they don't have in stock. Unfortunately, I need something for tonight.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    "Wore out" as in they went bald, lost traction, or wore out as in freak sidewall rip?

I have it on the front of my FS bike, and it looks knew with probably 200 miles on it. I love how easy it was to mount, and how snug it fits.
    on the front they lasted most of the year.

center knobs wore quickly and diags tearing enuff to see the threads... i was running a slime tube in the rear most of last winter and spring (that could probably stand to be rephrased), and that might have been the only thing holding the air in after a while.

i will no longer be running any MKs,, i will be running from them...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    on the front they lasted most of the year.

center knobs wore quickly and diags tearing enuff to see the threads... i was running a slime tube in the rear most of last winter and spring (that could probably stand to be rephrased), and that might have been the only thing holding the air in after a while.

i will no longer be running any MKs,, i will be running from them...
    Well, center knobs wearing quickly is a concern, so I think I'll avoid them. This would be for the SS, so I can envision even more wear.

But curious, were these tubeless specific? 29er?

mtbr member
    Stop at REI and pick up a Geax Saguaro. It'll be wirebead, but they work well and aren't horrifically expensive

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Well, center knobs wearing quickly is a concern, so I think I'll avoid them. This would be for the SS, so I can envision even more wear.

But curious, were these tubeless specific? 29er?
    Out of pure curiosity why would being a SS have more wear? If this is a funny then I missed it!!!!!!!! If not...pls learn me.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by _dragon View Post
    Out of pure curiosity why would being a SS have more wear? If this is a funny then I missed it!!!!!!!! If not...pls learn me.
    Heavier gearing in general, particularly when climbing...puts more force and torque into the pedals -> drivetrain -> tires...much more likely to spin out while climbing on a SS...all = more rear tire wear on a SS vs. a geared bike.

Skinny, just mount up whatever and ride...I wreck 'em all...
    Ride more; post less...

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Heavier gearing in general, particularly when climbing...puts more force and torque into the pedals -> drivetrain -> tires...much more likely to spin out while climbing on a SS...all = more rear tire wear on a SS vs. a geared bike.

Makes sense -- I guess I am just lazy and if it is too much work/slippage I get off and push. I do a lot of that on a geared bike. Thank you!

mtbr member
    I ran one as a rear for a while, it wore out quickly and I was never really impressed with its traction in our sand over hardpack (broke traction easy on the steep stuff). It did float well in the sand though.

I think the best combo I have used to date has been a 2.2 Purgatory Grid up front and a 2.2 Captain Grid in the rear. For me it was a decent balance between good traction, fastish rolling, and acceptable service life. Now I am running 2.4 purgatory Grid UST front and rear. They grip like mad, are tough enough, but require a lot of grunt to keep them rolling at a decent pace unless aired up pretty hard, then they get a bit sketchy...I'm just sticking with them though. I like the way they handle and grip on the climbs and the loose terrain (and float in the sand). not real cheap for sure...
    Check my pulse...

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Yep! I buy what's on sale and then ride me hard.

drink coffee, ride.
    hmmm...actually notice a difference? Kenda Excavator up front - MK on the rear, of the 26. On the 29, Bontrager 29-4, actually pretty decent but heavy. Otherwise, whatevs on sale, the rocks here chew up the rear too fast.

Andrew
    Looks like a decent tire based on tread pattern. Never been a fan of Conti for car tires though, so not eager to test out any of their bike gear. Currently on Imolas as that's what came on the bike, but in a month or so I'm going to be snagging up the Tioga Psycho Genius rubbers. They made some of the best tires I've ever used for bmx, definitely excited to try out their 29er option.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

EDR
    Trail King hooks up very nicely for Valley terrain. I run a UST in the rear and love the traction over rock faces and various Valley stuff. No idea if they make a SS version though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Trail King hooks up very nicely for Valley terrain.
    That's what the LBS recommended, but didn't have any in stock. I ended up getting a Weirwolf at half off: $30. Unfortunately, it's the one designed for full suspension bikes. But it will do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    A tire designed specifically for a FS bike? What'll they think of next?

Be careful on the Weirwolfs as the new TCS versions are an extremely snug fit on some wheels (Stan's, DTSwiss...)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi, new to the AZ forum...

My question would be what trails do you ride?

On my XC 29er I use the X-King up front with a SmallBlock 8 in the rear. Tried the X-King out back and destroyed it in 3 rides. Tore the knobbies off and put a few slices in it. It's just to soft for desert terrain.