_____
    Jul 2007

Anybody running carbon rims here in Phoenix?

If so, what has been your experience? Which trails and what size tires?

I'm thinking of upgrading to 650b next year and I'll need to build a new wheel set. I've read a couple posts from users stating they actually saved money because their carbon rims outlasted aluminum.

I ride the chunkier trails around Dreamy Draw and wasted a set of Flows in a year running 2.2-2.3 tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm running a set of Enve all mountain and love them so far. I typically ride south mountain. Javalina, Mormon, DC, and my all time favorite trail National. The ride is unreal compared to regular hoops. Kinda like going from an aluminum frame to carbon. Im running the Enve all mountain laced up to I9 hubs. maxxis ardent tires. I've had them for a couple months so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronsondude View Post
    I'm running a set of Enve all mountain and love them so far. I typically ride south mountain. Javalina, Mormon, DC, and my all time favorite trail National. The ride is unreal compared to regular hoops. Kinda like going from an aluminum frame to carbon. Im running the Enve all mountain laced up to I9 hubs. maxxis ardent tires. I've had them for a couple months so far.
    Can i please have your wheelset?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronsondude View Post
    What kind of warranty come with those enve wheels? I will be interested in how they are doing after a year of riding rocks. My guess is they will hold up, but only time will tell.

Got a suspension fork
    I've got a buddy in WA who runs all carbon wheels on three MTB's including a downhill bike. He's sold.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Easton carbon haven 29er. They are bomb proof. They are very stiff. In fact, so stiff I noticed that I can descend faster and corner harder b/c they don't flex like my Stan's race ZTR's did. They just feel and are solid. I'll never go back to aluminum wheels. I'm spoiled. I bash the crap out of these in the McDowells and never had a problem.

trail "cleaner"
    I am running China light bike all mtn. carbon rims on my Niners. Yes, they get scratched just like Aluminum rims on our chunk but no other issues. The stiffness as mentioned above is substantial over Arches/Flows... I'm running them tubeless with fiber packing tape. This tape is very light compared to gorilla tape (which I also use on other wheelsets). I'm waiting for the next generation of CF rims to run 35mm in width with a 30mm internal. That'll be the ticket for my RIP's.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have Roval Carbons on my Spec Evo. so far so good. Previous owner(Cat 1 XC) put them on and raced them for awhile. I raced(cat3 XC) and ride XC on them. Run Spec Ground Control 2.3 on front and Spec Fast Track 2.0 on back. Tubeless using Gorilla tape, Stan's valves and Stan's sealant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Who can afford these things? I would run 'em immediately but .... $2000 for a set of hoops after spending 5000 on a bike .... ouch ... I think I'll wear out my crest rims.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Lots cheaper if you buy the Chinese ones.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Running LB carbon wheels (light bicycle-carbon frame,carbon rim,carbon wheel,carbon wheelset,carbon mountain bike,carbon road bike Light-Bicycle) for last 4 months on my Nomad, run and protect them with big Trail King 2.4s or Maxxis 2.4s setup ghetto tubeless. Holding up great so far and love the stiffness that carbon wheels offer. They are about 1/4th the cost of Enves and will see if they holdup, lots of good positive reviews on them here on MTBR.