PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY

Anybody riding ARCH EX out here?

Just wanted to see how they have been holding up. In between buying these and the flows. I would probably say I ride more technical xc'sh stuff but also like longer rides like the McDowell passes. Thanks.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Huffy Rider
    I was looking hard at these for my hubby's new build, as I needed to keep the weight down. I know this won't be much help, but we ended up with cheap chinese carbon wheels, lighter, wider, and about the same price. How much do weigh RTR? That should play into your decision a little. Good luck

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I weigh 170 geared. Those chinese carbon wheels look pretty nice. I will have to take a look at their website again.

Huffy Rider
    You are definitely in the running for the Arch's. Hubby only has 2 rides on his, one long is about to happen in Flag this morning. We run Conti TK UST's so the tires are stout enough for the pounding he will give them. Keep in mind that we ride mostly in Sedona, some Flag and even the chunky stuff at PMP and SOMO, so they will be put to the test. The carbon ones are wider and about 150g lighter then the Arch's.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I just had Dave Thomas build me a set in 27.5 for my Bronson. Here's a link:

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/arc...ck-859676.html

I noticed some tire squirm in the rear with the biggish High Roller II. That feeling went away when I replaced it with an Ardent rear in 2.25. Otherwise, I'm pleased. I'm 190 before gear. So far I've ridden these wheels up and down National a few times and most of the chunk stuff at PMP (Upper/Lower Cheesegrater, Hairball, etc.). No problems at all and still perfectly true.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Awesome, just the info I was looking for. Dave built my 823's so I know his expertise will add even more strength to the wheel.

My other ride is your mom
    I know Gangi is running Arches, but the previous version before they became Arch EX's. If you look at the internal width on those...the new EX's are now as wide as the old Flow's were. Long story short.....Gangi is a meat-head and rams into everything...but he's lighter. I've heard him sing praises and give lectures on why Arches are the bestest eveh!!!

Ahhh the pain....
    My only complaint about the ex's vs the older arch is I think they changed some diameters making some tires more difficult to mount.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've had nothing but positive things to say about my Arch EX's. I'm definitely a full on xc'er though and get very little in the way of "air". I do like the confidence I have to bomb rock gardens and technical stuff though and not worry about if I'm going to flat spot or bend a wheel. They were super easy to run tubeless and they made a BIG difference in rotational weight from came standard on my Trek X-Caliber. Forgot to say.... I'm 155lbs, so I obviously feel into the "range" to run Crest's, but wanted a versatile wheel that I wouldn't have to worry about being "delicate" with. I'm very happy with my choice.

Just Joshin' ya!
    I have them on my Jet 9 because the Crests seem a little too wimpy for me. I have beaten them up pretty good on Desert Classic, National, and Mormon and they seem to be holding up alright. I weigh 215 without gear, so if they can handle me, I am sure you will be fine.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Team Pedalin' PACEless
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I noticed some tire squirm in the rear with the biggish High Roller II. That feeling went away when I replaced it with an Ardent rear in 2.25. Otherwise, I'm pleased. I'm 190 before gear. So far I've ridden these wheels up and down National a few times and most of the chunk stuff at PMP (Upper/Lower Cheesegrater, Hairball, etc.). No problems at all and still perfectly true.

Based on my limited experience with the Arches, this is right on. I had a pair of these, laced to some relabeled race hubs, up until last weekend. Rims were fine; rear hub blew up. I did manage over 400 miles on the Arches and even did the Barn Burner in a decent time on them.

They don't seem compatico with really tall or wide tires, at least in the 650b's. I sensed alot of deflection in the chunky stuff, even at 35+ lbs of tire pressure. The last set of tires I had, the new 2.4 Michelin Wild Grip'R 2's, were not happy on the Arches.

Durability-wise, though, they seemed solid. I rode 32-spoke up front and 28-spoke out back. For reference, I weigh 175 before loading up and ride mostly XC with the inevitable all mountain foray (.. as is the case pretty much everywhere here in the Northwest Valley ..).

Pj