mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Anybody ride a Magura Durin Race in Central/Southern AZ?

Currently trying to rebuild an old Manitou fork for my wife when I saw a good deal on a Magura Durin Race 100mm. I purchased the fork because it was the last day of the sale and there is a 30 day return policy. I don't know anything about these forks and reviews are scarce. My wife would end up getting my Rockshox Sid Team and I would ride the Durin. Does anyone ride this fork? Just wondering how good this fork is for central AZ? We have a lot of chop out here so I would like to know if the damper on this thing can handle it or if it rides stiff. It doesn't have adjustable compression dampening which I occasionaly use on the Sid and that concerns me. My riding weight is between 180-190lb. Again, this is for the race 100 and not the SL. It appears the SL is actually their racing fork and the race is more cross country oriented? I do not race. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by FireLikeIYA; 12-19-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Killing it with close inspection.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Currently trying to rebuild a fork for my wife when I saw a good deal on a Magura Durin Race 100mm. I purchased the fork because it was the last day of the sale and there is a 30 day return policy. I don't know anything about these forks and reviews are scarce. My wife would end up getting my Rockshox Sid Team and I would ride this fork. Does anyone ride this fork? Just wondering how good this fork is for in central AZ? We have a lot of chop out here so I would like to know if the damper on this thing can handle it or if it rides stiff. It doesn't have adjustable compression dampening which I occasionaly use on the Sid and that concerns me. My riding weight is between 180-190lb. Again, this is for the race 100 and not the SL. It appears the SL is actually their racing fork and the race is more cross country oriented? I do not race. Thank you in advance.
    I will call the US Magura Service rep and let you know what he says. What year is the fork?

TD

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    I will call the US Magura Service rep and let you know what he says. What year is the fork?

TD

The fork is a 2011. Thanks!

banned
    The fork is a 2011. Thanks!
    OK, Jude said that the main reason why the SL is the most popular race fork is the lightness. The additional features add weight to the race fork. As far as the compression damping goes, there should be no problem with your weight and the damping would be similar with both models.

Since there are more features on the race fork you could have more service issues with the different features, and a higher overall maintenance cost down the road after the warranty expires.

Jude lived in the Phoenix area before moving to Austin and he said the fork works great on the type of terrain you described. If you want to ask him any questions direct, I can give you his email address.

TD

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    OK, Jude said that the main reason why the SL is the most popular race fork is the lightness. The additional features add weight to the race fork. As far as the compression damping goes, there should be no problem with your weight and the damping would be similar with both models.

Since there are more features on the race fork you could have more service issues with the different features, and a higher overall maintenance cost down the road after the warranty expires.

Jude lived in the Phoenix area before moving to Austin and he said the fork works great on the type of terrain you described. If you want to ask him any questions direct, I can give you his email address.

TD
    TD,

Thank you very much for getting this information! Yes, if you could please give me Jude's e-mail address I would greatly appreciate it. I have just a couple of questions that I would like to ask.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Has anyone ridden both a SID 100mm with the black box motion control damper and the Durin 100mm? What do you think? Which is better?

banned
    TD,

Thank you very much for getting this information! Yes, if you could please give me Jude's e-mail address I would greatly appreciate it. I have just a couple of questions that I would like to ask.
    rjude1@aol.com