Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Go Speed Racer

Any one running 1x10 out here?

Planning on going with 1x10 on my new build. Just wondering if anyone out here has used the Wolftooth or absoluteBlack chainrings? I am leaning toward Wolftooth because they are Made in USA and absoluteBlack are UK. Price seems to be about the same. From looking at the pictures they appear VERY similar, although the absoluteBlack ones do look like they have a little more machine work on them, but then again, I kind of like the looks of the minimalist wolftooth.

Cranks are triple ring XT 104BCD (with all three rings removed and to be replaced with this ring on the middle).

Anyway, just trying to make a decision, and was hoping someone could provide some feedback with them. From what I have read, with (or even without) a clutch rear der (I will be running XT shadow+ medium cage), and one of these rings up front, no chain guide is needed up front (Like XX1).

Thanks for any feedback

mtbr member
    Running it on 2 bikes and love it. I have a wolf tooth 30t on a SLX triple and never had a dropped chain using a Xtr shadow+ on my 29er fs and on my Fatbike running a RaceFace 30t using a RF turbine crank and Xt shadow+. The fatbike is rigid other than the big tires and no dropped chains either.Cassette is 11-36 on both. Sometimes I would like a little more range while climbing but I am 6ft 1in and 220lb, so not exactly the most fit on the trails, but I have rode singlespeed also for several years, so used to grunting it out when it gets steep. Hope that helps.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I did it for a while (few rides) and found I didn't have enough low-end for my liking. Riding up trails like VOAZ would toast my legs in the 30/36 combo.

That said, I am a lightweight in most cases and I am sure if I just made myself stick with it and get stronger I would have been fine. In fact I may give it another shot this winter, I really like the simplicity but don't want to part with 1k to get X01 and a 42t cog.

Also check out the RF Narrow Wide rings, they make a 30T and it may be easier to get one and not sure if they are cheaper than the Wolftooth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Planning on going with 1x10 on my new build. Just wondering if anyone out here has used the Wolftooth or absoluteBlack chainrings? I am leaning toward Wolftooth because they are Made in USA and absoluteBlack are UK. Price seems to be about the same. From looking at the pictures they appear VERY similar, although the absoluteBlack ones do look like they have a little more machine work on them, but then again, I kind of like the looks of the minimalist wolftooth.

Cranks are triple ring XT 104BCD (with all three rings removed and to be replaced with this ring on the middle).

Anyway, just trying to make a decision, and was hoping someone could provide some feedback with them. From what I have read, with (or even without) a clutch rear der (I will be running XT shadow+ medium cage), and one of these rings up front, no chain guide is needed up front (Like XX1).

Thanks for any feedback

I've been running a Wolftooth 32T with XT shadow + and its been excellent. I have experienced a few drops (2-3 in approx 300 miles), but nothing that makes me want to put a guide on. I ride a hardtail 29er and any drops seem to happen on flatter, less bumpy sections with the chain falling off to the outside (ultimately catches on my pedal spindle). It almost seems like something (stick or twig or branch) bumps the chain off rather than it rattling loose. I have never had it fall off on steep, technical or fast gnarly descents.

My friend runs a homebrewed 32T and he has experienced two drops with the same characteristics (to the outside in slower). Anyhow, great ring.....

Go Speed Racer
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I still have not made my final decision, and now I need to consider the RF rings also.

mtbr member
    Personally I have no desire to ditch my 22 chain ring. While I have been using my 34 rear a lot less lately use the 22 alot. Most all my sustained climbing is in my 22 and using 4-5 rear cogs to fine tune my cadence for the trail grade and rock conditions. Some of that range can be covered by my 32 chain ring, but not with the same fine adjustment.

So
    32-26 = 32 Gear Inches
    32-30 = 28 GI
    32-34 = 25 GI

But in my 22 chainring
    22-17 = 34 GI - Covered by 32-26
    22-20 = 29 GI - Covered by 32-28
    22-23 = 25 GI - Covered by 32 - 34
    22-25 = 22 GI
    22-30 = 19 GI
    22-34 = 17 GI

So I get 3 new ratios, plus the ability to move from 19 GI to 34 GI with no big ring change. That allows me to fine tune and ride the bike like single chain ring on the climbs, but have the fine ratio split to maintain a good cadence, but also have good top end when I want it. I find that races are times I use the most of my gearing. Top end 44 chain ring for smooth road descents or pavement and the 22 for climbs to stay on boil hunting for the best gear to keep me right on my max effort and max speed.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    This is why dog invited siglespedes.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    This is why dog invited siglespedes.
    here here.

If you give it a try you'll discover you can still make most of this big hills and climbs like VOAZ on a SS just fine.

And that rear derailleur is SO much easier to adjust. And the Chain Slap so much quieter. And the shifting so much smoother.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    can a 9speed hub be changed to a 10 speed cassette, or was it only 8 & 9 that were interchangeable?
    my current drivetrain is is bad need of replacement. i saw pricepoint is having a ton of model year shimano on sale so i figure now is the best time to bite, but i haven't a fricking clue what is compatible

How much further ???
    Yes the standard drive shell of a hub will accept 9 speed or 10 speed cassettes no problem. At least for Shimano you will need new shifters as the indexing has obviously changed, and a new rear mech since they changed the leverage ratio or something. To my knowledge only the Sram 11 speed systems require a special drive shell, that is proprietary I'm sure.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    can a 9speed hub be changed to a 10 speed cassette, or was it only 8 & 9 that were interchangeable?
    my current drivetrain is is bad need of replacement. i saw pricepoint is having a ton of model year shimano on sale so i figure now is the best time to bite, but i haven't a fricking clue what is compatible
    You can put a 10 spd cassette on a 9 speed hub. You cannot put an 11 speed on, though.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    I was running tenspeed for the past 8 months with wolfooth 34t upfront. Raced the whiskey, AES in Flagstaff, Epic in Grand Junction. I ride Sonoran, Deems, PMP, McDowells (preserve and park), Cave Creek, P&D, Sedona and Flagg.
    NOT ONE DROP with XO with clutch RD, not even on the chunkiest stuff.

Climbing is no issue. In fact climbing in granny on most of our loose stuff is counter-productive. You just end up spinning out. Can't pick up enough momentum to get over obstacle in granny as well. Granny does not allow you to progress as rider IMHO.

Yes you have to stand up and climb 5% of the time I ride - it's really easy though in 34-28 or 34-32 (rarely in 36) unlike in singlespeed where they run 33-19 or something like that. Standing up also engages different muscle groups so in a way it rests the "sitting" spin muscles.

My only gripe is that when racing, on asphalt or fireroads, especially going down, you will get smoked. I just moved up to 36 in front, hoping to close that gap. Climbing will get a bit trickier but that's how you get stronger.

mtbr member
    Try it and I guarantee you will get stronger within few weeks.... if you stick with it.

mtbr member
    Bart,
    I know you are fast so it clearly works for you, but for me I like the ability spin up hills. I was on my road bike last weekend and did some of my normal routine climbs. I focused on spinning up those climbs at bit more than before and found myself getting to the top just as fast and at times faster by spinning them at a higher cadence. Also when I got to the tops I felt less worn out than when I tried brute force my way up them in a bigger gear. The road bike is a good place to test spin vs force on climbs because traction is never an issue and neither are rocks. It just a pure state of how much power you can put out. For me standing on a road climb is almost always slower because of the slower cadence even when it a bigger gear. Plus I can blow up when standing alot sooner. Of course there are times when you need to stand to deal with really steep pitch up, but I find that if I can sit and spin the climb I am faster and fresher at the top.

Of course mtn riding is difference since the terrain is such a large factor, but I just hate to give up that low granny because there are just so many times it can just save my bacon. Even my road bike is a triple. While I may not use my 30 tooth chain ring much (42/52 95% of time with a 9spd 12-25) I like to have it just in case. The times I have used it really saves me as the alternative is just walking. In fact on one long climbing ride my ability to drop into the 30 tooth ring on the road bike and spin away gave me ability to not just hang with other riders, but to sustain a speed they could not reach the top of the climb first. That was after about 1 hour of climbing.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post

Thanks for any feedback
    I run 1x10 on my All Mnt Nomad. Using 32t up front with a bbg bashwich setup (inner and outer bash guards) with a 11-36 in the back using Type 2 Sram X9 clutch derailleur. The bashwich setup works great and has never dropped a chain.

Currently building a XC 29er and going to go with a 1x10 setup. Going with a 30t RF wide/narrow up front and 11-36 in back. But going to add a MRP 1x guide for added assurance.

Ahhh the pain....
    The great spinners and mashers debate. I think it really comes down to how you train. If you look at the pro roadies, most will sit and spin hills and generate tons of power. THere are exceptions, like weiner boy Contador who stands much more on climbs. If you take a guy who is a seated climber and ask him to stand an entire 2 hour climb, he'll die. But if you take an experienced and well trained singlespeeder, he(or she) can do that and if the grade/gear ratio is right, it's almost easier.
    Back in the day (mid 90's), I was a diehard seated climber... Now, the only way I can get up hills fast (road bike or mtb) is to stand...
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Climbing is no issue. In fact climbing in granny on most of our loose stuff is counter-productive. You just end up spinning out. Can't pick up enough momentum to get over obstacle in granny as well. Granny does not allow you to progress as rider IMHO.

Yes you have to stand up and climb 5% of the time I ride - it's really easy though in 34-28 or 34-32 (rarely in 36) unlike in singlespeed where they run 33-19 or something like that. Standing up also engages different muscle groups so in a way it rests the "sitting" spin muscles.
    This basically sums up my experience. I have found that as I have progressed over the past year I have needed the small chainring less and less (big one was replaced with a bash long ago, because my big ring had turned into a bash - and I did not miss it once it was gone). I went from needing the small ring to slowly spin up hills, to only using it for active recovery on climbs when I needed a break but did not want to stop, to now where I no longer need it, and if I do try to use it, I spin out like you mentioned.

SS is intriguing, and most of the guys I have been riding with are on them, and encouraging me to go SS (you know who you are). I think I will probably be there soon, but I want to try 1x10 first and see how I like it. Seems to be the best of both worlds to me. Simpler, one shifter, one derailleur, minimized to no chain slap / quiet(er) drivetrain, lighter, yet still having a range of gears to choose from.

So, going to give it a shot. If I totally hate it, I have the front shifter, and will just need to slap the rings back on my chainset, and buy a front der and chain. If I love it and find that I can stay in the middle of the cassette, then I may convert to SS (frame will have paragon dropouts, so that will be cake).

Now just have to decide between the RaceFace, WT, and AB rings, and to go with 30T or 32T ring.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Currently building a XC 29er and going to go with a 1x10 setup. Going with a 30t RF wide/narrow up front and 11-36 in back. But going to add a MRP 1x guide for added assurance.
    If you are using a clutch rear der (and even if you are not), all of my research has indicated this is totally unnecessary. Might want to give it a try for a few rides.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    The great spinners and mashers debate. I think it really comes down to how you train. If you look at the pro roadies, most will sit and spin hills and generate tons of power. THere are exceptions, like weiner boy Contador who stands much more on climbs. If you take a guy who is a seated climber and ask him to stand an entire 2 hour climb, he'll die. But if you take an experienced and well trained singlespeeder, he(or she) can do that and if the grade/gear ratio is right, it's almost easier.
    Back in the day (mid 90's), I was a diehard seated climber... Now, the only way I can get up hills fast (road bike or mtb) is to stand...
    Yeah, me too... We are all different and have different styles, and it is great to have all these different options available to us!

mtbr member
    Any one running 1x10 out here?-wolftooth.jpg

Here is my set up with the old 34t. Clean. Simple. Effective.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Bart,
    I know you are fast so it clearly works for you, but for me I like the ability spin up hills. I was on my road bike last weekend and did some of my normal routine climbs. I focused on spinning up those climbs at bit more than before and found myself getting to the top just as fast and at times faster by spinning them at a higher cadence. Also when I got to the tops I felt less worn out than when I tried brute force my way up them in a bigger gear. The road bike is a good place to test spin vs force on climbs because traction is never an issue and neither are rocks. It just a pure state of how much power you can put out. For me standing on a road climb is almost always slower because of the slower cadence even when it a bigger gear. Plus I can blow up when standing alot sooner. Of course there are times when you need to stand to deal with really steep pitch up, but I find that if I can sit and spin the climb I am faster and fresher at the top.

Of course mtn riding is difference since the terrain is such a large factor, but I just hate to give up that low granny because there are just so many times it can just save my bacon. Even my road bike is a triple. While I may not use my 30 tooth chain ring much (42/52 95% of time with a 9spd 12-25) I like to have it just in case. The times I have used it really saves me as the alternative is just walking. In fact on one long climbing ride my ability to drop into the 30 tooth ring on the road bike and spin away gave me ability to not just hang with other riders, but to sustain a speed they could not reach the top of the climb first. That was after about 1 hour of climbing.
    Hey Joe, I don't mean to poo poo the 22. I think Dennis is clearly ready for more teeth. I think we run in to each other once, you looked like you couldn't weight more than 160 lbs. You would easily push a 24 or 26 in a 20 speed set up, although if you a running a triple there is no real reason to complicate things.

mtbr member
    Dennis: Go with the full XX1 groupset. You will not regret it. Product of the year in the bike industry, IMHO! I have it on 2 bikes and it is efficient and quiet. I have NEVER dropped a chain or missed a shift. And, you can easily take the front ring off to exchange for a different size without taking the cranks apart. XX1 is all the simplicity and smoothness of riding a SS with 10 extra gears for those steeper climbs and asphalt sprints!
    -boom

mtbr member
    Bart,
    I am 5'7" and 155lbs and I guess 160-165 fully geared up with full a 100oz camelback. I am reasonably fast, but not as fast as you, Raybum and some of really fast guys out there. I think what Raybum said is right thought that I am more of a spinner vs masher. I try climb with lungs rather than brute leg strength. I see that there are mixed messages among the bike community as many people talk about climbing with cadence, but try to use big gears a badge of honor. I see roadie guys always like to talk about climbing stuff in the big ring as sign of how strong they are. BS.. How strong of a rider you are is not the gear you use but the time up the climb. That is what I respect.

Single speed obviously requires brute leg strength, but to me that is a known situation. There is no pretense that the one gear is best for all situations as it is not. Part of the challenge is making your body adapt. What you gain bike wise is a lighter and simpler bike. There is virtue in that.

I guess where I am coming from is that 1x9, 10, 11 systems seem to be all the rage right now, but for most riders I am not really sure they are better than a good old fashioned triple. Each extra cog requires a thinner weaker chain. The weight savings from a 2x10 over a 3x9 is minimal. You still have the same number of gears (3+9 = 12) or (2+10 = 12) and derailleurs so the savings is down to weight of a gear vs chainring which really is not much. People complain about front derailleur action being slow, but don't shift under power and learn how to select the right chainring for the terrain to minimize chainring shifts.

You can save weight with a 1x system since there is no front derailleur, but how much do you give up in versatility? Even SRAM know you give up something as they offer multiple chainring options. So do they expect you select which chain ring you run based on the trail? That is fine if you are pro racer maybe, but for general riding it seem far simpler to carry a few chain rings that give you top end and bottom end without needing to change a chain ring.

Anyway the jury to me is out on if 1x systems are fads or real improvements. They say that no front derailleur allow for more flexibly rear suspension designs and maybe it does. I don't know however if there are any bikes that take full advantage of this yet.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post

...Anyway the jury to me is out on if 1x systems are fads or real improvements. They say that no front derailleur allow for more flexibly rear suspension designs and maybe it does. I don't know however if there are any bikes that take full advantage of this yet.
    Good post.

I am an old fart living in Colorado, and there is no way in hell I am giving up anything on my lowest gear (and I would not have when I was a not so old fart either). Right now I am running 2x9 29er with 20/32T chainring with an 11-34 cassette giving me a 17 gear inch for my low low. 22/36 is 18 gear inches (29er) which I could live with.

With a 42 T cog, you still need a 24 T chainring to get to a 17 low, or a 26 to get to a 18 low. Running 1X with a 24 or 26T ring would limit high gearing even more than my 2x9 does. But the new XX1 also has 10T small cog instead of 11, which helps.

Could I live with even less high gears? Maybe. 1x with a giant cassette like that will probably be sufficient for a lot of riders. But I'm sure there will always be people who will still want more gearing range than 1x11 gives even with the 10-42 cassette.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
    Dennis: Go with the full XX1 groupset. You will not regret it. Product of the year in the bike industry, IMHO! I have it on 2 bikes and it is efficient and quiet. I have NEVER dropped a chain or missed a shift. And, you can easily take the front ring off to exchange for a different size without taking the cranks apart. XX1 is all the simplicity and smoothness of riding a SS with 10 extra gears for those steeper climbs and asphalt sprints!
    I thought about it, but it was a bit too pricey for me. The XT1 (as I am calling it - Shimano pay attention) was around 1/3 the cost, and nearly the same gearing/performance is achievable. Another factor was having to get a new free hub on my (brand new) wheels. Part of the purpose of this build is to make if flexible enough to go back to 2x10 if I want, or to go full single speed (thanks to dog for that), and if I dropped the $$$ on XX1 I would feel financially tied to the solution. Perhaps if I fall in love with my 1x10 XT1 (and I think I will), I may eventually switch over to 1x11 once it gets down into the X9 component set / price range and it is a little more proven.

I am already nearly 1/2 the way through purchasing components for my build, so it is too late to switch to XX1 anyway, but I did give it a good hard look. Going with it would have required a serious compromise on my frame (would have had to give up the Ti frame, ouch). Going Ti with XX1 would have pushed my build out of my price range.

Planning on going with a 32T up front with 11x36 and based on my riding experience this is going to be a perfect range for the trails I ride and my fitness level. I also plan on picking up a 30T front that I may throw on (easy enough to do so) if I am going to be hitting some trails with some serious climbing.

I also read something interesting somewhere, a dude had left the granny ring on, even though he was running 1x10 and if he had a long extended climb and wanted the low gear he would just stop (go figure) and move the chain down with his hands, then stop again and move it back up. Not ideal I know, but definitely an option if doing some longer rides. Not sure I would ever do that, but I found it pretty clever.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It is great to have so many options!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast