Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Any one Ever Fall On A Rattlesnake While Ridding?

OK, so maybe I fall down some times on a technical section of trail. I will be coming out to AZ. in the near future to ride. I have been there a few times but never had the chance to ride there. After reading this forum it's clear to me that I may encounter a snake or two. That does not bother me except for the fore mentioned fact about falling once in a while.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    if it's across the trail and too late to stop, just ride over it and yell loudly to anyone behind you.

there are no double D's in riding,,, although i'd surely welcome more of them...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Last edited by ARIZycle; 07-15-2013 at 06:48 AM.

mtbr member
    typically, you wont find rattlers on technical sections of a trail. in my 16+ years of riding the AZ deserts, I haven't seen any in the rougher techy bits of trail. they are looking for food and dont like dragging belly across the scratchy rocks. so they seem to stick to the flatter,smoother ground, and denser brush and cacti. others may have had differing experience, but that is mine. I have seen my share of snakes, but your timing has to be perfect to have one on the actual trail. As mentioned above, just ride past to a safe position and then enjoy watching the snake do it's thing...or not!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've never seen them in the winter in Phoenix, maybe other's have.

If you're going in the summer, it's likely to be a billion degrees and the sun will bake a roast on the rocks. There's no shade and you're not likely to find them just hanging out in the middle of the trail, they'd be in the shade. That and you got armor on likely for riding south-mountain. I don't think this is ever an issue.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    No. Never.

EDR

Re: Any one Ever Fall On A Rattlesnake While Ridding?

The only rattlesnake I've ever seen in a technical section was halfway down the waterfall on National Trail here in Phoenix. I was carrying my bike up that section and before I got anywhere near it, it let me know was there. Scared the bejesus out of me and for months every time I was on that section I was looking into the nooks and crannies and in the shadows. other than that in living out here for 30 plus years it's never been a problem as you describe.

Much more likely to encounter one when walking of trail to take a piss. And the likelihood of that is pretty low, although it does exist. just be careful where you put your feet stay away from the underbrush yada yada yada.

And unlike in many parts of the country, out here you really dont see them during the day, at least in summer. it's too damn hot, even for them.

mtbr member
    I have never heard of a mt.biker getting bit while on a ride. just sayin'
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So to answer the snake question: they can be anywhere at any time. Just watch your wheel.

mtbr member
    If you are prone to falls I would worry about tons of jagged rocks we have in the valley.

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    If you are prone to falls I would worry about tons of jagged rocks we have in the valley.
    Yes, and depending on where he is riding the cholla cactus are a far more menacing presence than the rattlesnake.

I swear that plant was created by Hades.

Give it a crank
    The thing to worry about if you get bitten by a rattlesnake is that you need to be in a hospital within half an hour for antivenom treatment. After that, bad things start to happen to various body parts.

I wouldn't worry about falling on one though, chances are you'll see it or even hear it rattle before a fall.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    In 2 years, riding 2-3 times/week I have seen one. Also, survival rate is around 90% last time I researched it. It is zero concern to me.

mtbr member
    I've seen a few snakes while riding. The snakes I have seen have been on the side of the trail. One went into attack mode when I almost ran him over. The other crawled away peacefully as I was going slowly uphill and didn't notice him until I'd almost passed him.

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    In 2 years, riding 2-3 times/week I have seen one. Also, survival rate is around 90% last time I researched it. It is zero concern to me.
    Survival rate is pretty high. I think ultimately the real cost comes in medical bills, pain and suffering, and time lost from work.

I've seen plenty of accounts online of rattlesnake bites costing hundreds of thousands of dollars to the victim. the anti venom is very expensive and many doses are often needed, plus all the associated expenses that go with it.

mtbr member
    Riding the desert trails, I've had many close encounters with rattle snakes. The thing I've learned, is that they don't want any attention... or part of us! The thing that worries me more then rattle snakes...are bee's! We have Al-Qaeda bee's, they're radicalized and aggressive and if they swarm...you'll be looking for a rattle snake to grab and swing to use as a swat to fend off the the bee's! Actually don't worry about the small stuff, the Sun will kill you faster then anything crawling or flying!

I love the Desert!

mtbr member
    I have been there enough to know about the weather for sure and it's not like I just fall off my bike randomly. I really didn't know where you are more likely to run into one. I was thinking probably in a more technical area of the trail but I guess that was incorrect. We have lots of snakes here in NY. Mostly garden snakes a couple feet long and lots of black snakes up to five feet long around any water areas. The consequence of a personal meeting is much less dangerous.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Think of a billion degrees as not -billion degrees and hot enough to cook a roast as not so cold that your balls will freeze to the ground if you sit. There are worse things than snakes in the world.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    We have lots of snakes here in NY. The consequence of a personal meeting is much less dangerous.
    usually they just want to shake your hand and thank you for your vote, but on occasion they have been known to suddenly kiss infants

mtbr member
    OK, so are you guy's telling me you never fall, or just not on snakes?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    if you fall onto a snake,,, you might get tagged 1 in 10,000 times
    if you fall onto the rocks,,, you'll likely be bloodied 1 in 2 times
    if you fall onto a cactus,,, your whole day just went to ****

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post

Nothing like some solid data to put it into perspective.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    The thing to worry about if you get bitten by a rattlesnake is that you need to be in a hospital within half an hour for antivenom treatment. After that, bad things start to happen to various body parts.
    That's unfortunate that anywhere on a trail you are likely 30+ minutes from your vehicle. Then another 30 minutes from a hospital...

The best advice has always been to keep your heart rate down. How the hell are you gonna do that when you gotta ride or hike off the mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    OK, so are you guy's telling me you never fall, or just not on snakes?
    Never fallen on a snake...

2012 Greatest Hits from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    LOL 1/10,000 times, i think you might be being a bit conservative there, if you fall on a venomous snake i recon youd have pretty high odds of it tagging you, last thing you want to do is fall on a snake.
    Id rather take my chances with rocks and cactus any day lol.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    I'll provide a bit of persepective... Hopefully I am not off-base...

So if we assume the worst case scenario like this past spring/summer where I have seen the most activity of rattlers in my life... I pass by a snake either on or close enough to the trail about once in 100 miles. It is probably more (than 100 miles) but lets take the worst case scenario.. So asssume a rider is at risk once in 100 miles of riding...

100 miles = 52,800 feet.

And lets say if you fall, being within 3 feet (6 feet diameter) of the snake is a risk.

So the probability that given you fall, is 6/52800=1/8800 that you are at risk of a snake bite.

So on average, once every 8800 times you fall off a bike (during the most active time ever known to me), you are at risk of a snake bite.

Why are we even talking about this....
    Below Par on the Gnar

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast