Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any one Ever Fall On A Rattlesnake While Ridding?

6K views 52 replies 32 participants last post by  DesertGiant 
#1 ·
OK, so maybe I fall down some times on a technical section of trail. I will be coming out to AZ. in the near future to ride. I have been there a few times but never had the chance to ride there. After reading this forum it's clear to me that I may encounter a snake or two. That does not bother me except for the fore mentioned fact about falling once in a while.

#4 ·
typically, you wont find rattlers on technical sections of a trail. in my 16+ years of riding the AZ deserts, I haven't seen any in the rougher techy bits of trail. they are looking for food and dont like dragging belly across the scratchy rocks. so they seem to stick to the flatter,smoother ground, and denser brush and cacti. others may have had differing experience, but that is mine. I have seen my share of snakes, but your timing has to be perfect to have one on the actual trail. As mentioned above, just ride past to a safe position and then enjoy watching the snake do it's thing...or not!

#5 ·
I've never seen them in the winter in Phoenix, maybe other's have.

If you're going in the summer, it's likely to be a billion degrees and the sun will bake a roast on the rocks. There's no shade and you're not likely to find them just hanging out in the middle of the trail, they'd be in the shade. That and you got armor on likely for riding south-mountain. I don't think this is ever an issue.

#7 ·
The only rattlesnake I've ever seen in a technical section was halfway down the waterfall on National Trail here in Phoenix. I was carrying my bike up that section and before I got anywhere near it, it let me know was there. Scared the bejesus out of me and for months every time I was on that section I was looking into the nooks and crannies and in the shadows. other than that in living out here for 30 plus years it's never been a problem as you describe.

Much more likely to encounter one when walking of trail to take a piss. And the likelihood of that is pretty low, although it does exist. just be careful where you put your feet stay away from the underbrush yada yada yada.

And unlike in many parts of the country, out here you really dont see them during the day, at least in summer. it's too damn hot, even for them.

#12 ·
The thing to worry about if you get bitten by a rattlesnake is that you need to be in a hospital within half an hour for antivenom treatment. After that, bad things start to happen to various body parts.

I wouldn't worry about falling on one though, chances are you'll see it or even hear it rattle before a fall.

#23 ·
The thing to worry about if you get bitten by a rattlesnake is that you need to be in a hospital within half an hour for antivenom treatment. After that, bad things start to happen to various body parts.
That's unfortunate that anywhere on a trail you are likely 30+ minutes from your vehicle. Then another 30 minutes from a hospital...

The best advice has always been to keep your heart rate down. How the hell are you gonna do that when you gotta ride or hike off the mountain?

OK, so are you guy's telling me you never fall, or just not on snakes?
Never fallen on a snake...

2012 Greatest Hits from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

#15 ·
Survival rate is pretty high. I think ultimately the real cost comes in medical bills, pain and suffering, and time lost from work.

I've seen plenty of accounts online of rattlesnake bites costing hundreds of thousands of dollars to the victim. the anti venom is very expensive and many doses are often needed, plus all the associated expenses that go with it.

#14 ·
I've seen a few snakes while riding. The snakes I have seen have been on the side of the trail. One went into attack mode when I almost ran him over. The other crawled away peacefully as I was going slowly uphill and didn't notice him until I'd almost passed him.

#16 ·
Riding the desert trails, I've had many close encounters with rattle snakes. The thing I've learned, is that they don't want any attention... or part of us! The thing that worries me more then rattle snakes...are bee's! We have Al-Qaeda bee's, they're radicalized and aggressive and if they swarm...you'll be looking for a rattle snake to grab and swing to use as a swat to fend off the the bee's! Actually don't worry about the small stuff, the Sun will kill you faster then anything crawling or flying!

I love the Desert!

#17 ·
I have been there enough to know about the weather for sure and it's not like I just fall off my bike randomly. I really didn't know where you are more likely to run into one. I was thinking probably in a more technical area of the trail but I guess that was incorrect. We have lots of snakes here in NY. Mostly garden snakes a couple feet long and lots of black snakes up to five feet long around any water areas. The consequence of a personal meeting is much less dangerous.

#25 ·
I'll provide a bit of persepective... Hopefully I am not off-base...

So if we assume the worst case scenario like this past spring/summer where I have seen the most activity of rattlers in my life... I pass by a snake either on or close enough to the trail about once in 100 miles. It is probably more (than 100 miles) but lets take the worst case scenario.. So asssume a rider is at risk once in 100 miles of riding...

100 miles = 52,800 feet.

And lets say if you fall, being within 3 feet (6 feet diameter) of the snake is a risk.

So the probability that given you fall, is 6/52800=1/8800 that you are at risk of a snake bite.

So on average, once every 8800 times you fall off a bike (during the most active time ever known to me), you are at risk of a snake bite.

Why are we even talking about this.... :eekster:

#26 ·
If we take that 1/8800 probability and multiply by the average number of snakes per acre (5) and divide by the number of square feet in one acre (43560), we get a 1/76665600 chance of actually falling on one and getting bit.

Don't be that 1 in 76664600, rise above, and flow like a six pack on Prom night!

Sent using Tap N Stalk

#30 ·
Nearly happened to me out at Gold Canyon on Lost Goldmine a month ago...minus the falling part. The 3 foot diamondback was hanging out right by a group of rocks on the side of the trail. If you look closely you can see a tire track on the right which stops abruptly. No idea why the trails out there have names like Diamondback, Mohave, Gilamonster... Road surface Bedrock Asphalt Grass Road

Attachments

#32 ·
Nearly happened to me out at Gold Canyon on Lost Goldmine a month ago...minus the falling part. The 3 foot diamondback was hanging out right by a group of rocks on the side of the trail. If you look closely you can see a tire track on the right which stops abruptly. No idea why the trails out there have names like Diamondback, Mohave, Gilamonster... View attachment 816378
That summabich isn't just relaxing. He's waiting to ambush something. He's not even looking at you. He's focusing on his strike zone.

#37 ·
I was riding on BCT on Sunday and ran over one heading down the Boyscout loop. I just came on him at speed and by the time I saw him all coiled up it was about a second before my front wheel when right over him. I just kept on riding and never looked back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.