Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any New and Exciting System Trails Under Construction?

3K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  90minIPA 
#1 · (Edited)
There hasn’t been much talk lately of new Arizona mountain biking trails that might interest some of us MTBR viewers? Just curious if there are any new trails being constructed that some of us might enjoy riding in the near or not too distant future? It sure would be nice have a new flow trail with lots of natural features to up the enjoyment factor or maybe a well thought out downhill trail with lots of drops and jumps to give Cosmic Ray something new for his next Fat Tire trail guide.

#13 ·
Are any of the new trails being mentioned system flow type trails with lots of natural features to up the cool factor? Something with a 1,500' plus decent over a three plus mile distance would be cool. How about a well thought out system DH trail that has drops, jumps, berms and gaps to make a somewhat normal day of riding to a higher level?

At the recent Sedona Trails Planning meetings we have been sharing trail concepts between the attendees. We have over 100 concepts on the drawing board and I don't think any of them are flow or DH, so it will be nice if other AZ locations can come up with something more exciting.

Please share your videos of the new system trails built this year.

#16 ·
Are any of the new trails being mentioned system flow type trails with lots of natural features to up the cool factor? Something with a 1,500' plus decent over a three plus mile distance would be cool. How about a well thought out system DH trail that has drops, jumps, berms and gaps to make a somewhat normal day of riding to a higher level?
Sure got some specific specs, huh?

#14 ·
I've been building trail here in AK with a trail crew. It's awesome, huge doubles and table tops, huge berms, ride-arounds, and it's all just a couple min from most locations in the city. It's refreshing to see people putting in trails with some actual vision and passion, rather than just a new mediocre multi-use trail.

#15 ·
Jayem:

It's good to here you are enjoying your new trail building environment, but we are somewhat off subject because I believe you are in Alaska not Arizona.

The posting of this thread is to try and find out what new Arizona system Flow or DH trails have been built in the last year or are on the drawing board to be built in the near future.

If you were to show us a video of the trail that you are working on maybe those features you mentioned could be incorporated into the trails some of the MTBR trail builders envision on their new trail dream.

How long does it take to get a new trail approved in the great state of Alaska?

#21 ·
Rockman:

Thanks for you input on the situation going on in Flag. As you stated previously the Flagstaff landmanagers have a lot going on in that area. So more than likely the possible new system flow and DH trails are going to be low priorities for at least several years or until all the land preservation issues get taken care of. So that leaves the trail builders in the rest of the state to possibly come up with a fresh new exciting system trail idea.

Those types of trails do not traditionally come from land managers who are busy working on so many other important projects. Those trails typically come from patient creative passionate mountain bikers who have learned the long term goal is worth waiting for.

In Moab the leaders of the recent new system mountain biking trails are actually hikers not mountain bikers. Since they are passionate folks who's obsession is well marked trails, they were able to hook up with the mountain biking crowd to get the heavy lifting done to produce not of new trails. Who knows maybe the same thing could happen in Arizona.

#27 ·
Pine, USA....... Help!!! we need some strong backs to reinforce our numbers. Currently have approx. 3.5-4.0 miles built. The ACE crew begins next week full time. Hoping to have the whole part of phase one complete by spring...... 16ish miles of sweet singletrack..... not dumbed down but still sustainable.... check out the Pine-Strawberry Fuel Reduction website for upcoming work days... Also ...... needed ..... experienced gravity trail builder to spearhead to development of Trail 608... the forest service has given us the green light on developing a downhill... shuttle ready ... trail . This trail is currently used by quads ..... we will be placing barriers on each end to prevent them from using this trail (currently no motorized vehicles can use it but they keep removing our signs). The vision is for a downhill (gravity) specific trail with multiple lines.. the trail can be built with any natural materials found in forest .... This trail will connect to the Bearfoot Trail of which I spoke earlier. Trail 608 is approx. 2 miles long and drops about 1500' off of the Mogollon Rim. The southern terminus is just south of Strawberry, AZ. Please contact Mike or Janet Brandt if you are interested in leading this event. You may contact them through the Pine-Strawberry Fuel Reduction website. Trail 608 can be ridden now if anyone would like to check it out..... with a little work this could be a one of a kind trail for AZ. Please quit your job today and come up and help make Pine, AZ a mountain bike destination.............

#32 ·
A few questions 90minIPA, What is the forest like around the trail, lots of large rocks to use and if using wood can you take down live green trees using chainsaws? Can you use spikes and nails/screws for any woodwork? Creating stable long lasting features can be difficult especially in our ponderosa forests.

Also, does the trail have natural grade dips that allow water to escape the tread? Any features built into steep trails that do not shed water will quickly become eroded and unusable.

I'm interested but it needs to be something that would actually work.

#33 ·
A few questions 90minIPA, What is the forest like around the trail, lots of large rocks to use and if using wood can you take down live green trees using chainsaws? Can you use spikes and nails/screws for any woodwork? Creating stable long lasting features can be difficult especially in our ponderosa forests.

Also, does the trail have natural grade dips that allow water to escape the tread? Any features built into steep trails that do not shed water will quickly become eroded and unusable.

I'm interested but it needs to be something that would actually work.
I think this is what the terrain ( Pine Trail June 2013 #2 - YouTube ) looks like in that area.

#35 ·
Raising Az --- The best thing to do would be to come up and we could ride the existing trail to see if it is something you'd be interested in doing .... step two would be to develop a concept then meet with the forest service rep. to see if it would meet their criteria. Sustainability, I'm sure, would be one of the factors involved in development. I really think this could be a game changer ..... I haven't heard of any forest service group interested in building downhill trails .... email me at
90minuteipa4@gmail.com if you are ever interested in checking this out.... you can also check out the new trail we are building which connects to the proposed downhill run.............

#40 ·
90min:

What direction are the DH, Pine and Bearfoot trails in relation to the Fire Mountain Loop? I Googled on Pine, AZ mountain bike trails and basically came up with zip. I want to come for a visit with my girl friend, but I would like to get a feel of the terrain before investing the time to drive to the area.

The video of the race course trail showed a lot of fall line sections that hopefully weren't built by the mountain bike community.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.