Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned
    Jul 2013

Any New and Exciting System Trails Under Construction?

There hasnít been much talk lately of new Arizona mountain biking trails that might interest some of us MTBR viewers? Just curious if there are any new trails being constructed that some of us might enjoy riding in the near or not too distant future? It sure would be nice have a new flow trail with lots of natural features to up the enjoyment factor or maybe a well thought out downhill trail with lots of drops and jumps to give Cosmic Ray something new for his next Fat Tire trail guide.
    Last edited by RenegadeMtnBiker; 08-22-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Shred...it's the new drug
    join Gravity Riders Organization Of Arizona to get in on the fun! They have some stuff in the works that sounds like it's up your alley

mtbr member
    With the exception of the city loop trail everything appears to be on hold in Flagstaff as the forest initiative gets underway.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Is that TrailDoc?

Give it a crank
    There's DH and some new XC trails in the White Mtns.

Been here.....?

mtbr member
    There is a pretty active group in the west valley, adding on to FINS in Goodyear. A whole new series of trails (more XCish) has been made.
    ďThink of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.Ē
-Grant Petersen

Go Speed Racer
    How about the new ones out here? Trails - City of Prescott, Arizona

banned
    Jul 2013
    Anyone got some videos of the new stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Pine, AZ is actively building new trails up on the Mogollon Rim

dirt visionary
    sshhh
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Just another half mile...
    More rerouting of the Pima & Dynamite trails wil be occuring this fall.

Future expansion of the Black Canyon trail system after the NEPA is completed. More loops!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

banned
    Jul 2013
    Are any of the new trails being mentioned system flow type trails with lots of natural features to up the cool factor? Something with a 1,500' plus decent over a three plus mile distance would be cool. How about a well thought out system DH trail that has drops, jumps, berms and gaps to make a somewhat normal day of riding to a higher level?

At the recent Sedona Trails Planning meetings we have been sharing trail concepts between the attendees. We have over 100 concepts on the drawing board and I don't think any of them are flow or DH, so it will be nice if other AZ locations can come up with something more exciting.

Please share your videos of the new system trails built this year.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've been building trail here in AK with a trail crew. It's awesome, huge doubles and table tops, huge berms, ride-arounds, and it's all just a couple min from most locations in the city. It's refreshing to see people putting in trails with some actual vision and passion, rather than just a new mediocre multi-use trail.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I've been building trail here in AK with a trail crew. It's awesome, huge doubles and table tops, huge berms, ride-arounds, and it's all just a couple min from most locations in the city. It's refreshing to see people putting in trails with some actual vision and passion, rather than just a new mediocre multi-use trail.
    Jayem:

It's good to here you are enjoying your new trail building environment, but we are somewhat off subject because I believe you are in Alaska not Arizona.

The posting of this thread is to try and find out what new Arizona system Flow or DH trails have been built in the last year or are on the drawing board to be built in the near future.

If you were to show us a video of the trail that you are working on maybe those features you mentioned could be incorporated into the trails some of the MTBR trail builders envision on their new trail dream.

How long does it take to get a new trail approved in the great state of Alaska?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMtnBiker View Post
    Are any of the new trails being mentioned system flow type trails with lots of natural features to up the cool factor? Something with a 1,500' plus decent over a three plus mile distance would be cool. How about a well thought out system DH trail that has drops, jumps, berms and gaps to make a somewhat normal day of riding to a higher level?
    Sure got some specific specs, huh?

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Sure got some specific specs, huh?
    Not sure what your question is, but my specs were meant to give viewers an idea of the type of trail, I think would provide an exciting riding experience.

Epicrider mentioned some new trail additions going on at Black Canyon. I am sure those trails meet the needs of a large percentage of the mountain bike community and the terrain is very scenic, but for some people like myself, I would like something new with a higher fun factor.

Arizona is a big state and I was just hoping that a new system flow or DH type trail had been built, so I don't have to drive to another state to get that kind of riding experience. Maybe there aren't enough riders interested in those types of trails, so the chances of them ever getting built is much less than a huge Black Canyon trail network.

Go Speed Racer
    Not sure what your question is, but my specs were meant to give viewers an idea of the type of trail, I think would provide an exciting riding experience.

Epicrider mentioned some new trail additions going on at Black Canyon. I am sure those trails meet the needs of a large percentage of the mountain bike community and the terrain is very scenic, but for some people like myself, I would like something new with a higher fun factor.

Arizona is a big state and I was just hoping that a new system flow or DH type trail had been built, so I don't have to drive to another state to get that kind of riding experience. Maybe there aren't enough riders interested in those types of trails, so the chances of them ever getting built is much less than a huge Black Canyon trail network.
    For what its worth, I have heard that they are planning on building a "Bike Park" area out at the McDowell Mountains. But, you seem like someone with a hidden agenda of some sort, and I get the feeling that nothing would make you happy. You may just want to go to another state as you suggested. For me, this state has TONS of GREAT trails anywhere from 0-150 miles from my front door. I really could not imagine EXPECTING any more. I just try to respect other trail users, and the trails, volunteer for trail days as much as possible and most importantly enjoy riding my bike.

Not really interested in Sedrama. I have never ridden there, had wanted to, but the tone of messages about that place has really turned me off to even wanting to try it. I have replaced my interest in riding in Sedona with checking out the trails in Prescott, the pictures/video's I have seen of them look amazing.

Good luck in your search to find the perfect trail system for you.

mtbr member
    Flagstaff is sorely lacking in the type of trails that Renegademtnbiker is referring too. At least none that were sanctioned by the land manager to build.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    More rerouting of the Pima & Dynamite trails wil be occuring this fall.

Future expansion of the Black Canyon trail system after the NEPA is completed. More loops!
    Dale, is the Copper Mountain Loop still awaiting completion?

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Flagstaff is sorely lacking in the type of trails that Renegademtnbiker is referring too. At least none that were sanctioned by the land manager to build.
    Rockman:

Thanks for you input on the situation going on in Flag. As you stated previously the Flagstaff landmanagers have a lot going on in that area. So more than likely the possible new system flow and DH trails are going to be low priorities for at least several years or until all the land preservation issues get taken care of. So that leaves the trail builders in the rest of the state to possibly come up with a fresh new exciting system trail idea.

Those types of trails do not traditionally come from land managers who are busy working on so many other important projects. Those trails typically come from patient creative passionate mountain bikers who have learned the long term goal is worth waiting for.

In Moab the leaders of the recent new system mountain biking trails are actually hikers not mountain bikers. Since they are passionate folks who's obsession is well marked trails, they were able to hook up with the mountain biking crowd to get the heavy lifting done to produce not of new trails. Who knows maybe the same thing could happen in Arizona.

mtbr member
    Rockman:

Thanks for you input on the situation going on in Flag. As you stated previously the Flagstaff landmanagers have a lot going on in that area. So more than likely the possible new system flow and DH trails are going to be low priorities for at least several years or until all the land preservation issues get taken care of. So that leaves the trail builders in the rest of the state to possibly come up with a fresh new exciting system trail idea.

Those types of trails do not traditionally come from land managers who are busy working on so many other important projects. Those trails typically come from patient creative passionate mountain bikers who have learned the long term goal is worth waiting for.

In Moab the leaders of the recent new system mountain biking trails are actually hikers not mountain bikers. Since they are passionate folks who's obsession is well marked trails, they were able to hook up with the mountain biking crowd to get the heavy lifting done to produce not of new trails. Who knows maybe the same thing could happen in Arizona.
    Moab's Captain Ahab is the perfect example of what I would like to see more of in the state. It's a one-way flow trail that utilizes natural features instead of something you might find at Keystone or resort parks with bermed corners, built stunts, and jumps and trannies. Alas, tomahawk was a good example of this new type of trail flavor but it now lives only in memory.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Rockman:

It's actually all in the works, stay tuned for updates.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    It's actually all in the works, stay tuned for updates.
    Good, I was starting to lose hope. Could just be unfounded rumor but the word on the streets is the trail runners are tool'n their own trails on Dry Lakes. Meanwhile the patient mtn bike community continues to wait.

And I heard it directly from the Snowbowl general manager's mouth last week that the main reason they are not building trails within the ski area boundary is because the FS put the kibosh on it. He's not against the idea and insisted that it was part of the expansion plan and EIS but the FS took it out. Perhaps he speaketh with forked tongue but it's hard to know what to believe sometimes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Good, I was starting to lose hope. Could just be unfounded rumor but the word on the streets is the trail runners are tool'n their own trails on Dry Lakes. Meanwhile the patient mtn bike community continues to wait.

And I heard it directly from the Snowbowl general manager's mouth last week that the main reason they are not building trails within the ski area boundary is because the FS put the kibosh on it. He's not against the idea and insisted that it was part of the expansion plan and EIS but the FS took it out. Perhaps he speaketh with forked tongue but it's hard to know what to believe sometimes.
    I think the gm is giving us the run around on that one. The FS as I have understood it is all about trails at the Bowl it's actually the gm that is uninterested, or at least that is the impression I have gotten. MEDL? It's taking longer than I had hoped but it's for good reasons I have been told, details are being worked out and they are good ones that will benefit us in the long run. I guess we shall see......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast