VII
    mtbr member

Any good trails in Green Valley, AZ?

I'm going to visit an aunt who lives in Green Valley. Any good trails in that area? Anyone living around there? Wondering if I should bring my bike. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The only really good trail left is Elephant Head. West Desert Preserve is toast. It's used for mining now and the trails cut in and out.

Green Valley is only 30 minutes from Star Pass, Robles or Sweetwater. And about 45 from Fantasy Island.

VII
    mtbr member
    Thanks, ptsube. That's helpful!

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Check out | Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists for trail maps, and go to TucsonMTB.com for local forums.

Like pstube said, the only real riding in Green Valley is Elephant Head, and while fun I bet it's an overgrown mess right now (think really sharp cat claw shredding your arms and legs).

If you're willing to drive a bit, Pima County has 400+ miles of rideable trail, so you can find just about any style you want short of north shore-style stunts or lift accessed downhill.

mtbr member
    The AZ Trail is only about a 20 min drive from Green Valley. It has some excellent single track.
    It will be a little warm this time of year, and there will be frequent afternoon thunderstorms. But the trail should be primo with the afternoon showers.

ATA - Interactive Map

This map will show you the way, just point and zoom.

Plus size jersey model
    I would vote the AZT off of Sauhrita rd for you. Thats pretty close and you can ride as many miles as the heart wants in either direction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Ignore these guys - especially the Sonoran Biker who doesn't even live in Tucson. There is some GREAT mountain and trail biking near Green Valley. Check out...
    bikeaz.org/bikegreenvalley. There is 20 plus miles of bandit trail in Tubac, just south of GV.

Chuck Hill, Tom Hausam Jim DiDemenico and local SAMBA (Southern Arizona Mountain Bike Assocation) guys created a ton of fun trails right down by the border. Check out...

New Secret Tubac| Green Valley, Arizona Mountain Bike Trails| Built in Secrecy

IF you want great trail biking, think about Box Canyon, Bullhead Springs. The SST trails I wrote above are on the hunter's access road. Hunters offers a great fire service, rocky road that goes 50 miles to Arivaca. Good stuff here!

West Desert Preserve offers a lot of beginner friendly trail.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by holewinskigroupweb View Post
    Ignore these guys - especially the Sonoran Biker who doesn't even live in Tucson. There is some GREAT mountain and trail biking near Green Valley. Check out...
    bikeaz.org/bikegreenvalley. There is 20 plus miles of bandit trail in Tubac, just south of GV.

Chuck Hill, Tom Hausam Jim DiDemenico and local SAMBA (Southern Arizona Mountain Bike Assocation) guys created a ton of fun trails right down by the border. Check out...

New Secret Tubac| Green Valley, Arizona Mountain Bike Trails| Built in Secrecy

IF you want great trail biking, think about Box Canyon, Bullhead Springs. The SST trails I wrote above are on the hunter's access road. Hunters offers a great fire service, rocky road that goes 50 miles to Arivaca. Good stuff here!

West Desert Preserve offers a lot of beginner friendly trail.
    Apparently some correct information is needed here. First off, to dispense with the internet anonymity. My name is Evan Pilling, and I have lived in Tucson for nearly a decade. I am the former board president, and current Executive Director, for Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists, a 501(c)(3) trails advocacy nonprofit that has been doing trail work and advocating for the sport of mountain biking in S. AZ since 1998. We are also the S. AZ Chapter of the International Mountain Bike Association (IMBA). I have personally led more trail building and maintenance events than I can count over the last 5 years on Pima County, Coronado National Forest, National Park, and State Trust lands in the region, and have coordinated more than 1600 volunteer hours and supervised construction of more then 2.5 miles of legitimate singletrack in Tucson Mountain Park this year alone.

What is your name, Mr. holewinskigroupweb, and what groups are you associated with? Could this be a reaction to my response on another thread, where I questioned the "BikeAZ.org" group you linked to? Before you publicly call people out on a public forum, perhaps you should get your information straight?

We have lots of great riding in S. AZ, including the Green Valley area. We are grateful to the numerous dedicated volunteer advocates who devote countless hours to building and maintaining all of the official and unsanctioned trails in the region. I'm not sure whose land these new trails are being built on, but you also may want to be careful about dropping names in association with illegal trail building on a public forum; in the past land managers have used forums such as this to track down those who build illegal trail and have banned them from public lands, or even prosecuted them. I know Chuck and Jim; they're good guys and I would hate to see them experience any negative repercussions.

If you want to continue this discussion directly, please feel free to email me at trailsteward@sdmb.org. Thanks.

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by bigworm520 View Post
    I would vote the AZT off of Sauhrita rd for you. Thats pretty close and you can ride as many miles as the heart wants in either direction.
    Did you look at the date of the post you replied to? He probably found the trails 3 years ago....!
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Wow, Evan Pilling himself from SDMB. We should be so honored! I just found out that Evan Pilling thinks he is a GV expert! As a long time green valley biker, we are happy to have everyone bike our mountain bike trails that we, as well as proud SAMBA members have designed. Keep you nose out of our business. As one of many ex-SDMB members, we are unhappy to see your "non profit" misrepresent our community. Your mens club has alienated members of SAMBA as well most local groups. Interesting to see you claim non-profit status while holding all of your paid beer events and meetings at Catalina Brewing Company - board members of SDMB. Kudos on your rise to president of your exclusive club. I see you are now getting paid a nice salary. You are making your "non profit" quite profitable. Your anger and vitriol to SAMBA and other local biking groups is unfortunate. Evan: keep your nose out of Green Valley. These are our trails and we will promote them as we see fit.

mtbr member
    Deleted. Entered under wrong login.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabinowrench View Post
    Wow, Evan Pilling himself from SDMB. We should be so honored! I just found out that Evan Pilling thinks he is a GV expert! As a long time green valley biker, we are happy to have everyone bike our mountain bike trails that we, as well as proud SAMBA members have designed. Keep you nose out of our business. As one of many ex-SDMB members, we are unhappy to see your "non profit" misrepresent our community. Your mens club has alienated members of SAMBA as well most local groups. Interesting to see you claim non-profit status while holding all of your paid beer events and meetings at Catalina Brewing Company - board members of SDMB. Kudos on your rise to president of your exclusive club. I see you are now getting paid a nice salary. You are making your "non profit" quite profitable. Your anger and vitriol to SAMBA and other local biking groups is unfortunate. Evan: keep your nose out of Green Valley. These are our trails and we will promote them as we see fit.
    Wow, another anonymous user materializes out of internet land to attack me! This is getting comical. And who might you be, sir, who feels so passionately about this issue that you joined MTBR specifically to post in this thread on your first post?

Look, folks, SDMB and SAMBA have a fabulous relationship (as we do with all of the other legitimate cycling nonprofits and businesses in S. AZ). We just did a Starr Pass Build Day with SAMBA in January 18th, and they led a ride on the 24th as part of the 8(ish) Days of Xmas Ride Series. One of their board members is one of our primary crew leaders and trail builders, and I am working with another one on Honeybee Canyon trail access. I have spoken to the individuals names in the above post by Holewinskigroupweb, and on the web pages advertising the so-called "Bandit" trail system, and they all said that they had specifically requested that their names not be associated with any illegal trail building. They stated that their requests were denied, and were met with aggression and antagonism, to the point that they were not willing to post on this thread.

This is manufactured controversy coming from a business that is promoting an illegal trail system, using the name of a nonprofit who did not consent to it's name being used, and using names of good local folks who did not consent to their names being used.

As I said in my previous post, if the individuals who are attacking me here, or any other local riders, have any questions about SDMB or want to get more involved, you can visit our website or email me directly at trailsteward@sdmb.org. I love talking about trails, and am always happy to discuss the projects we are working on and ways folks can help. We are the local chapter of the International Mountain Bike Association, and work with Pima County NRPR, Coronado National Forest, the City of Tucson, and other land management agencies to advocate for trails and the sport of mountain biking. We are currently leading as many as 4-5 trail building events per month at Starr Pass (in collaboration with other clubs and groups... we even have a Women's Build Day on 1/8 in collaboration with Bell Joy Ride!), and in addition to our ongoing trail construction at Starr Pass we are hoping to break ground on a 10-mile XC Race Venue in Vail this Spring, as well as begin construction of the singletrack component of what will become a 2.5 million dollar bike park in central Tucson. We just got a $7500 MBAA grant, which we are hoping to use to get some of our local builders trained on mechanized trail building to facilitate more efficient trail construction. We have also been actively working with the Town of Oro Valley, the Oro Valley Mountain Bike Association (OVMBA), and Pima County NRPR on establishment of a legitimate access trail to the Honeybee Canyon trails, and will likely be the primary nonprofit leading the volunteer events to build the new trail up Big Wash.

SDMB works with local businesses who want to help us in our fundraising efforts. Catalina Brewing Company is a strong supporter of the cycling community, and they have been gracious enough to host several of our Pint Night Fundraisers, in addition to opening on nights they are closed to host several advocacy events. In the past we have done several Pint Nights at Borderlands Brewery, and tomorrow night we will be doing a small fundraiser at Tucson Hop Shop. Events like these are one of the primary ways that small nonprofits do community outreach and fundraising. We appreciate all of the local businesses, both small and large, who step up to support trails and mountain biking in all the different ways they do.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays!