mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any good riding in tucson?

I will be visiting tucson in two weeks and I am wondering if i should bring my bike or not? Is there any singletrack, downhill trails, or dirt jumps in the area? thanks.

Endurance Junkie
    You have got to be kidding, there is a ton of riding. we have everything: fast tech single track,sick all mountain/light freeride, couple of downhill runs, miles and miles of cross country and two kick a** bmx tracks.i'm not much of a jumper, but bryan over at performance bicycles on speedway is and he could hook that. Also the roadie scene here is huge, so bring em all. hardtail,bmx, road, downhill, singlespeed, fixie we ride em all.

mtbr member
    Yes there is a lot of good riding in the Tucson area and the weather has been great this last week. Check out http://www.sdmb.org/ for some good riding recommendations as well as club rides if there are any while you are here. A small group of us ride most every Wednesday out at Star Pass. Fantasy Island would be your best bet for easy route finding as all of the trails are one way loops. On the down side there have been some break-ins.

Tim

"Yabut"
    How long will you be here? If it's just a quick trip, I would suggest checking out Golder Ranch. Also known as The 50 Year Trail. It has the greatest diversity of trails, and it's beautiful out there. It is kinda hard to find your way around, therefore riding with someone with some knowledge of the area would be a good idea. It's easy to miss the best trails.

If you're here longer, go to any bike shop, and pick up "The Map". It's a map of the local riding areas. Also, checkout www.sdmb.org, like was stated above.

Post up when you're in town. Maybe someone could guide you around.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member

Mucho Riding

bikerguy,
    the 24 hours of the old pueblo is being held on the 17th....we may head from phx to check it out.
    a couple of good rides have been mentioned...
    fantasy island is fun and interesting to say the least. you know you are certain turn offs, etc. by the type of appliances partially buried in the dirt. it seems like it used to be a dump spot in the desert but riders saved the day and turned it into a cool trail system. a year or so back there was a big fight to turn it into some soccer fields or something like that but the riders rallied and won.....for now. it's not really difficult but there are a lot of fun parts. i saw in the az forum that some phoenicians are riding down there during the race so i am sure they'd show you around.
    i really like the 50 y.t. on the north side there is an area called the chutes, which is full of roller-coaster like whoops, banked turns, etc. you can always find fun things to jump, bovine to go around, sandy washes to sink in, and cacti galore. it's mainly xc but i plan on making a run there w/ my new coilair in the near future. make sure you prep for desert riding if you're not used to it. there are prickly pears and chollas hugging the turns and too much speed = too much pain. definitely bring some tweezers and do some sort of thorn proofing. if you go closer to the catalinas the trails get more difficult. we always have a blast there....last time i thought for sure i was going to get speared by some pissed off bovine. they tend to lay right on the trail early on in the ride, so keep your eyes open.
    where are you coming from?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    im coming from the norcal bay area. thanks for the input guys.

I will be staying near the broadway Performance bike store. Are there any trails or bmx tracks, etc. near that area? Like riding distance?
    Last edited by bikerguy; 02-12-2007 at 08:29 PM.