mtbr member

any good freeriding near tucson?

I currently live in washington state. Had an interview down in tucson for a job that i think i would really enjoy.

Only issue is weather or not there is any good freeride/downhill riding in the tucson area. anything within 45 minutes would be considered in the tucson area.

looking for downhill, jumps, drops, ladders, highly technical and fast riding where i would need a full 7 or 8 inches of travel?

From what i have seen, there are lots of mtns with good potential. but is there a scene there?

thanks!

-justin

Ow!
    Justin, Not too certain about all that you are looking for, but the Catalinas will have some nice big travel areas. You might get some input on this forum, but also go to

Mountain Biking Tucson - Tucson MTB

There are existing threads on the possibilities, and the members there are always getting rides organized at all levels.

My other ride is your mom
    What's a "scene"....????

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Tucson doesn't really have any of what you would consider "freeride". So far the land managers are pretty much opposed to anything that could be considered a "feature" for MTB's. Mt. Lemmon has lots of shuttleable trails with rocky chunk and lots of vert, but you pretty much always have to earn it with climbing/hike-a-bike. They are a blast to ride, but most of the upper trails are snowed in right now. Bug Springs and Milagrosa are 2 of the best and are in great shape right now.

Post up in the DH forum on TucsonMTB.com and I'm sure others can chime in. There are some unsanctioned trails that I don't know about but others could probably turn you on to.

caninus xerophilous
    Quote Originally Posted by jlf.ski.bike.sail View Post
    I currently live in washington state. Had an interview down in tucson for a job that i think i would really enjoy.

Only issue is weather or not there is any good freeride/downhill riding in the tucson area. anything within 45 minutes would be considered in the tucson area.

looking for downhill, jumps, drops, ladders, highly technical and fast riding where i would need a full 7 or 8 inches of travel?

From what i have seen, there are lots of mtns with good potential. but is there a scene there?

thanks!

-justin
    Yes there is freeriding. Lots of natural terrain stuff. Not much in the man made wood stuff. One dj site and a few off the radar places with built dirt features.

One short legal DH on Mt Lemmon. There are however many miles of quality all mountain chunk with extended dh sections. You have to earn your descent in Tucson.

Most of the local mountains are wilderness, which biases the local outlook.

There are some other options outside your stated window.

Scene wise, not much. There are several groups that ride the stuff you like regularly and with skill. So there is plenty to occupy a 6-7 inch rig with an agressive pilot if you dont mind some ascending to get to the good stuff.

mtbr member
    thanks everyone! any links to vids of what you are talking about?

parenting for gnarness
    search for Lemon Drop, Mt Lemon, Milagrosa, 50 Year Trail, Area 52. SunDog esp. has posted a lot on these areas

mtbr member
    wow. I am having a really hard time deciding weather to stay in wa or move to tucson. The riding in tucson seems pretty rad! Although wa riding is rad too, just way different. More DH, jumps, smooth trail, and the best dirt in the world.

Riding is tucson looks technical, epic views, longer and more extended descents, and much more accessible during midweek. I live in the east side of wa, so i usually have to drive 3 hours on weekends to get the goods on the west side of the cascades.

choices choices choices.

thanks again for the info!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you like the flow/jumps/features and riding the sweetest trails, in near ideal conditions 9 mos of the year, move to western WA!

If you like chunder and tech more, or hammering out long flat XC rides, and want to be able to ride in acceptable conditions 12 mos of the year, move to Tucson.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    If it helps with your decision we have more than 400 miles of rideable trail in Pima County alone. Factor in all of the Phoenix-area riding (2 hours away) and Sedona and Flagstaff (4hours) and AZ is just about paradise.

Plus size jersey model
    Quote Originally Posted by jlf.ski.bike.sail View Post

Riding is tucson looks technical, epic views, longer and more extended descents, and much more accessible during midweek. I live in the east side of wa, so i usually have to drive 3 hours on weekends to get the goods on the west side of the cascades.
    !
    Pretty good idea of what we have here. Not really much to add from what everyone else already said. I am not anywhere near a FR/DH guy but I do like to partake in pretty much every trail we have to offer. Everything is earn your turn like SD said. Not very many true no pedal DH trails but some amazingly fun techy ones if you dont mind a little climbing. Scan thru a few of these guys blogs it might help with some stuff. There is an awesome Techy Tues ride every week and more techy riding within 1.5hrs of pretty much anywhere in Tucsson then you can shake a stick at. I would say though the scene tends to lean in the AM/XC categories more then anything but damn there are some crazy skilled FR/DH guys in town.

Chad's Bikepacking Diary

Big Wheel Building: Fiddy. With a ninja.

Rocks N Blogs | Jonathan's Mountain Biking Adventures

and we have Millie can't beat it. Mt. Biking on La Milagrosa and Skiing on Mt. Lemmon (Tuscon, AZ) - YouTube

mtbr member

any good freeriding near tucson?

If you're already driving three hours on the weekends, then you should know you can bust up to the Phoenix area in 2 hours or so and lap legit tech DH shuttles at South Mountain or hit flowy jump trails outside of Mesa.

mtbr member
    Yep year round riding for sure.

Phx likely has more of a scene, but as has been pointed out it's only 2 hrs away. Get a place on the NW side and SoMo is SE Phx its less then that.

I haven't seen Six Shooter pointed out yet. Like the Worm I do more AM/XC but from what I hear SS is very much a DH scene and about 2 hrs from N Tucson.

Within 4 hrs Flag has been mentioned and Sunrise Ski Resort has lift service riding.

People also hit Bootleg Canyon, and DH lift area's in NM, and CO from here.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!