mtbr member
    May 2010

Any bike shops in Phoenix that service Fox shocks?

Greetings,

I need to have my shock charged with nitrogen for the negative spring. Are there any shops in Phoenix that do this in house? Or any motorcycle shops that can do it with the safety needle setup?

thanks!

mtbr member
    You could try Adventure Bicycle in Mesa. They rebuilt my Fox suspension fork a few years ago.

mtbr member

Ryan at Kore Bikes

He just did an excellent job on my Fox Vanilla fork last week. I highly recommend him. He's reasonably priced, extremely conscientious, and has a quick turnaround.

Kore Bikes
    480-966-5673

Tiny

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bbdo View Post
    Greetings,

I need to have my shock charged with nitrogen for the negative spring. Are there any shops in Phoenix that do this in house? Or any motorcycle shops that can do it with the safety needle setup?

thanks!
    Not to thread jack but how do you know when the N2 needs to be recharged? How often does it usually have to be done? I've only seen Fox and companies like PUSH offer it.
    Killing it with close inspection.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Not to thread jack but how do you know when the N2 needs to be recharged? How often does it usually have to be done? I've only seen Fox and companies like PUSH offer it.
    It's for the IFP. You have to depressurize it first if you want to access the internals and dampers. Then of course you have to re-pressurize it, using either nitrogen or just compressed air. It's not something that has to be done once in a while like the air pressure in your tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    It's for the IFP. You have to depressurize it first if you want to access the internals and dampers. Then of course you have to re-pressurize it, using either nitrogen or just compressed air. It's not something that has to be done once in a while like the air pressure in your tires.
    Is this pertaining to somthing like an RP23. How often would this be done? Would it be somewhere around every 2K miles? I noticed a while back that Fox and Push offer this and always wondered how often the sevice is required. I'm reaching higher mileage on my shock so I'm just curious. I imagine you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference over time just like you usually dont notice struts going out.

RP23 cutaway
    Killing it with close inspection.

"Lurkers R us"
    I've never had a problem sending a fox fork to fox. I know people that complain about turn around but, I always get them back in about 10 days working perfect. I've done it 3 times with no issue. Most of the time they offer an upgrade for a minimal charge.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Depending on your location you might want to check with Bicycles of Phoenix. I know that Adrian works on forks (all flavors) for them and I believe he does shocks too.

They've always treated me right.

602-404-2453

Dirt Bike Craig
    EDIT - Thought it said fork... Dave at Sunday Cycles is very knowledgeable
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Is this pertaining to somthing like an RP23. How often would this be done? Would it be somewhere around every 2K miles? I noticed a while back that Fox and Push offer this and always wondered how often the sevice is required. I'm reaching higher mileage on my shock so I'm just curious. I imagine you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference over time just like you usually dont notice struts going out.

RP23 cutaway
    Well its like anything else. It does require maintenance once in a while. I have 2 2000 RS SID rear shock that now are 12 yo and they are creaking when they are compression and such. It's because the oil inside the internal is dirty and sometimes low, and like a fork's internal, it needs new oil and cleaning once in a while. I'd say it's something that you will know when it's time, because the shock will make creaking noises and other bad signs. Normally you should at least remove the air can and lubricate/clean it and same for the seals and o-rings like on a fork, once a year.

If your shock if doing fine and doesn't make any bad sounds beside the usual pssss of the air moving around, don't worry about the internal piston. Creaks are not good.

I made a thread about servicing the RS SID. It's a very simple shock compared to a RP23 though. It's in the suspension forum, titled "journey of servicing a SID rear shock", coz the shock is 12 yo and can't get any parts or actual tech support lol
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

I am Walt
    PM kelstr (Kelly) on here...he's the man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    PM kelstr (Kelly) on here...he's the man!
    There you go, that's what I was looking for, but didn't remember his username

shock Build

PM the guy here : http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=365399

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by bbdo View Post
    Greetings,

thanks!
    And btw you could always do it yourself using a shock pump and hypodermic needle, like I did here : Journey of servicing a SID rear shock