mtbr member

Any AZ MTB Pilots?

Who are willing to fly bikes and riders to great riding destinations here in the west? Driving vs. time is not helping me these days. PM me if interested.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Damn, at one point a little while back I was planning on doing a trip north to Utah. I had the perfect plane: rear seats removed. That would only work for the pilot and one other though, otherwise you are looking at a pretty big plane to take more than 2 people and their bikes. Something like a Cessna 206/207 at a minimum, and up from there say to a larger twin like a piper navajo or a cessna Caravan. For the piston single and twin engine planes that could carry this much gear, you're looking at an operating cost of at least $300/hr for the plane likely. The turbine aircraft (Caravan) would be more like a few thousand. The type of outfit that would do this would have to be a charter 135 operation.

There are various grand-canyon airlines/charters that might be able to do it. It'd be unlikely to find a private citizen with access to a big enough airplane for what you are thinking, but you never know!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What is an affordable plane that could carry 4 guys and 4 bikes plus gear? Bikes take lots of room.
    Michael
    old guy

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    jayem's price estimates were merely operating costs,, presuming you can find an owner/operator & pilot running a non-profit recreational charity operation.

you wont find an 'affordable' small plane. commercial flight is profitable if flights are packed to the hilt with paying customers. empty seats on a plane don't make it proportionately cheaper to operate
    if bikes and gear account for 2/3 of the space, then you you would expect a price quote based on at least 12 passengers

mtbr member
    Maybe ask these guys. Friends of Canadian Dave I think but they flew in to ride Hangover. The Hangover Trail, Sedona, AZ on Vimeo
    "The world is worse when you are behind a keyboard. The world is best when you are behind handlebars." M77Ranger.

Meatbomb
    Looks like they rented bikes in town.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    holy balls,, 100LL is up to $7 a gallon now!!
    man, i'm glad i stopped flying a decade ago

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    holy balls,, 100LL is up to $7 a gallon now!!
    man, i'm glad i stopped flying a decade ago
    $7/gal now? HFS, it's historically been about 2x auto fuel, so that doesn't surprise me....but it does push flying even further out of my budget these days....sucks. I flew to Big Bend/Lajitas, TX mtb races several times back in the day in our C182...2 riders/2 bikes....good times. A turbine Caravan would be the ultimate mtb plane.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    but a dodge caravan would be more within budget..
    if you wear a gorilla mask, no one will recognize you driving it