The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009

Anse had heat stroke?

I meant to say Anyone else had heat stroke? Apparently my computer glitched.

I was outside yesterday for about the whole day, in the pool, sitting out in the sun and I thought I was drinking enough...but maybe not. That night all of a sudden I felt this extreme tired sensation, almost couldnt stand up. I felt the urge that I may throw up but didnt. Well at about 9 that night my heart started beating really fast. I mean really fast. I had body aches and I was cold.

I looked up heat stroke and sure enough the rapid pulse, cold, ache, all of it were symptoms. So anyone else had the same symptoms with heat stroke?
    I Like Dirt.

mtbr member
    Maybe you're pregnant?

mtbr member
    Most likely heat exhaustion /borderline heat stroke.heat stroke is often fatal.I've had it bad a couple times ,so bad the nurse was squeezing the fluid bag to get the water in.The getting cold part is pretty bad ,if you notice you stop sweating.Cram the water in for the next few days and don't push it.Also add Gatorade and eat food with alot of sodium.Don't mess with it!
    codafurnituredesign.com

My other ride is your mom
    Agree.....you had a severe case of heat exhaustion.....I have had it twice in my life...once a few days ago on a double bypass.

AKA shitbird
    Damn Tanner, I was gonna see if you wanted to do a couple late afternoon shuttle runs Thursday but I don't need a shriveled up dead dude in my truck
    JRA

banned
    put away the hookers and blow until your 18

The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009
    It just feels like the flu. SUCKS
    I Like Dirt.

mtbr member
    Those are kind of vague symtoms that your body immune system is low. So really it coul be what you ate, heat exhaustion, pregnancy (I still vote that), flu or other sickness, allergies might do that too. I wouldn't be quick blame it on the heat if you were not doing extreme activitys and you were drinking a lot.

banned
    Happened to me when I first moved here. I went to the Chandler skate park. It was around 95 or so. I was so stoked on the free park that I didn't really drink as much water as I needed. I felt damn chilly but I knew that wasn't right because I was hot a few moments earlier. Luckily, they have water fountains and shade there, so it was really mild.

parenting for gnarness
    got it last year at the Crazy 88, symptoms comparable to yours, including laying in bed several hours later with racing heart and cold sweats. drink gatorade, eat right, etc and you should be ok.

Happened to Maad on Saturday, I felt fine, and he's probably stronger than me...no telling exactly when it may get ya. Maad recognized what was happening to him and we adjusted ourselves accordingly to get him off the hill. best thing is to learn what it feels like so you can save yourself when it starts to come on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've never gotten heat stroke, just lucky I guess. I work outside year round, sometimes in 112 degree heat. I drank 3 gallons of water in an 8 hour shift last summer, 2 Powerades, and 2 energy drinks. I know I couldn't of done it when I weighed 210 pounds a few years ago. Mountain biking helped me to lose allot of weight, now I weigh around 165, and being this weight makes a huge difference in every facet of life. I used to hike 5-10 miles in 117 degree temperatures, when I lived in Barstow CA for a couple years. Never had a problem.

mtbr member
    Once again it boggles my mind that 4 mil of you choose to live down there and put yourselves through that.

In all seriousness though I'm glad you are alright now.

mtbr member
    Same symptoms twice last Sunday out on Gila trail at 1:00 pm. Recognized it for what it was, took it easy for a bit, but of course still had to pedal out. Went up and down National yesterday around 11:00 am, no problems, and except for two other riders had the mountain to myself- awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The record temperature I found for Phoenix was 122 degrees. I was in Bullhead City 2 summers ago, and it was 127 degrees. I have always heard that you add 6-7 degrees if you're in direct sunlight, not sure if that's true or not. I'm in the NW part of Arizona where it's usually about 10 degrees cooler, than my neighbors to the the south, still pretty hot though. The record low for my town in the wintertime was 4 degrees.

mtbr member
    Hillwilly I got to say from personal experience it is more than 6-7 deg. At least in the summer in the valley. Closer to 15 on cheap wallgreens thermometers. But when it is 105 in the shade at 8 am you know it is going to be a shi77y day. Durring that 122deg summer we had a can of fix a flat and survey paint both explode in the bed of the truck from the heat.
    Since moving indoors for work my heat tolerance has gone way down. It sucks.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I like the heat allot better than the cold out here in NW Arizona. I hate wearing winter clothes, it gets pretty cold up here in the winter. I can drink a 100 ounce water bag on a 20 mile trail ride (approx 110+ temperature outside), during the summer. I'm going to start carrying at least 2 insulated water bottles, to supplement my Camelbak this summer. Water is life out here in the high desert, carry more than you need, and always carry a cellphone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath
    Once again it boggles my mind that 4 mil of you choose to live down there and put yourselves through that.

In all seriousness though I'm glad you are alright now.
    I agree, supposedly its better then snow.

I am in phoenix now, today it was 80-85 I went for 18 mile ride, drank my 3 liter camel back dry, and still thought I might die!

Saucy Size Moderator
    I've heard that a real case of heat stroke can permanently damage your...something. Thyroid, maybe. Anyway, it makes you more susceptible to a repeat performance in the future.

I used to get heat exhaustion as a kid and it sucks bad. Chills, migraines, puking, the works.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.