Thread: Another Haboob

Big B's Trails

Another Haboob

Looks like you guys had another haboobie isn't that 3 in a month... Aren't they kinda rare?
    I know they only happen in Az, middle east, and sahara desert...
    I dig dirt!

Pivotal figure
    I just love lookin at haboobs
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Just A Mountain Biker.
    And it is causing an uptick in Valley Fever cases...currently awaiting my blood test results & my chest xray results. F-ing sucks.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Much better than hamoobs.

Quote Originally Posted by azbeerguy View Post
    And it is causing an uptick in Valley Fever cases...currently awaiting my blood test results & my chest xray results. F-ing sucks.
    Dude that sucks! If you get "valley fever" what happens? I have heard of it but never known anyone to get it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ripped from another site.

Valley Fever: What You Need To Know

What is Valley Fever?
    Valley Fever is a lung infection. A fungus becomes airborne when dust around construction areas and agricultural areas is transported by the wind. When spores are inhaled, Valley Fever can result. The medical name for Valley Fever is coccidioidomycosis.
    Where is Valley Fever found?
    In the U.S. it is prevalent in the Southwest where temperatures are high and the soils are dry. Here is a map of the areas where Valley Fever is endemic.

How long does it take to develop symptoms of Valley Fever?
    It normally takes between one and four weeks.

Does everyone in Arizona get Valley Fever?
    It is estimated that about one third of the people in the lower desert areas of Arizona have had Valley Fever at some point. Your chances of getting Valley Fever are about 1 out of 33, but the longer you live in the Desert Southwest the higher your chances of infection. There are about 100,000 new cases of Valley Fever each year. You don't have to live here to get it--people visiting or traveling through the area have been infected, too.

Are some people at higher risk of getting Valley Fever?
    Valley Fever doesn't seem to play favorites, with all kinds of people at equal risk. Once infected, however, certain groups seem to have more instances of it spreading to other parts of their bodies; as far as gender is concerned, men are more likely than women, and African Americans and Filipinos are more likely when considering race. People with problem immune systems are also at risk.

Construction workers, farm workers or others who spend time working in dirt and dust are most likely to get Valley Fever. You are also at higher risk if you are caught in dust storms, or if your recreation, such as biking or 4-wheeling, takes you to dusty areas. One thing you can do to minimize your risk of getting Valley Fever is to wear a mask if you have to be out in blowing dust.

What are the symptoms of Valley Fever?
    About two thirds of the people who are infected never notice any symptoms, or experience mild symptoms and never even get treatment. Those who have sought treatment showed symptoms including fatigue, cough, chest pain, fever, rash, headache and joint aches. Sometimes people develop red bumps on their skin. In about 5% of the cases, nodules develop on the lungs which might look like lung cancer in a chest x-ray. A biopsy or surgery may be necessary to determine if the nodule is a result of Valley Fever. Another 5% of people develop what is referred to as a lung cavity. This is most common with older people, and more than half of the cavities disappear after a while without treatment. If the lung cavity ruptures, however, there may be chest pain and difficulty breathing.

Is there a cure for Valley Fever?
    There is no vaccine at this time for Valley Fever. Most people are able to fight off Valley Fever on their own without treatment. They usually don't get it again. For those that seek treatment, antifungal drugs (not antibiotics) are used. Although these treatments are often helpful, the disease may persist and years of treatment may be required. If a lung cavity ruptures as mentioned above, surgery may be necessary.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Here's the view from 1/2 mile down the road from my house in Cave Creek...

This one wasn't near as big as the one a couple weeks ago though...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Not as good of a photo this time - but - kind of neat also! Was at Lifetime on Priest/Warner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Haboob-img_1051.jpg  

Yes, I'm the crazy christmas guy!

banned
    Jun 2011
    Yeah, we get 'em every year.
    Brother the media is so flipping STUPID!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah, it's easy to see the media flipping about these.... but for me (who has never even heard of one), moving here and seeing them has been a trip.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The first one we recieved (the one on the 5th) was a heck of a storm (my mom said she hadn't seen one like that since the 50s) last nights - not such a big deal - more of our "average" dust storm.
    Last edited by FrankAZ; 07-19-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: I am clueless sometimes

Meatbomb
    You mean the one on the 5th.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I guess it has been two weeks - shows you where my mind is - Doh

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    should i bother to wash my south-facing windows yet, or just wait till october?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    on my way home from work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Haboob-img_0405.jpg  

2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

How much further ???
    Wait. Oh and unlike Chicago your windows and everything else outside will be covered in dust within 15 minutes of washing regardless. I havent washed my car in 4 years because its a complete waste of time. Enjoy
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Meatbomb
    don't wash jack until the 'soon ends.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Wait. Oh and unlike Chicago your windows and everything else outside will be covered in dust within 15 minutes of washing regardless. I havent washed my car in 4 years because its a complete waste of time. Enjoy
    i only have 1 vehicle, and it's garaged when not in use.
    when i brought my escape into apache junction ford,, those bastards vacuumed up my precious road salt collection that I had been tracking in on my floormats for 4 winters,,,

i had no dust whatsoever in my pool from the storm 2 weeks ago. my back yard is like a trench and it just blew over. on a lighter note,, i finally cut my grass,, it was a foot long in some spots.. bunbuns everywhere <3<3<3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    i only have 1 vehicle, and it's garaged when not in use.
    when i brought my escape into apache junction ford,, those bastards vacuumed up my precious road salt collection that I had been tracking in on my floormats for 4 winters,,,

i had no dust whatsoever in my pool from the storm 2 weeks ago. my back yard is like a trench and it just blew over. on a lighter note,, i finally cut my grass,, it was a foot long in some spots.. bunbuns everywhere <3<3<3
    Ride at night, lots of bunbuns. And other critters.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er View Post
    Ride at night, lots of bunbuns. And other critters.
    ill stick with the bunbuns and the quail,,, I was glad i had a fence this afternoon though...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    don't wash jack until the 'soon ends.
    I will hit the car with the hose if I can't see out the windows - once monsoon is over it'll get a good washing.

Meatbomb
    resist that urge... nothing but hard water stains when you're done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    now THAT, was just completely fuggin' hilarious
    breezy shade

Pivotal figure
    Gotta say it in a Forrest Gump voice for the full effect
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude