mtbr member

Another Deems question

I can't find shiit with searching but can someone post up some deems hills gpx files? I hear there is a right and wrong way to go. I have rode sonoran a butt load but want to try out deems and want to upload a good ride to my garmin to follow.
    Thanks in advance!
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    I can't find shiit with searching but can someone post up some deems hills gpx files? I hear there is a right and wrong way to go. I have rode sonoran a butt load but want to try out deems and want to upload a good ride to my garmin to follow.
    Thanks in advance!
    My opinion - I have ridden out there a ton. It is next to impossible to get lost. I have ridden it CCW and CW and enjoy both. I don't think there is a wrong or right way to go. Just have fun! I would say that from the soccer field parking lot I prefer CCW, but most others seem to like CW....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks in advance!
    Here's something.

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/056885.pdf

Just got back from deems 20 min. ago, did not see anybody on the entire loop.

drink coffee, ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I don't think there is a wrong or right way to go. Just have fun! ....
    indeed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Here's one of my strava rides. You can easily hit all the trails at Deems in 1.5 hours. Pretty good workout with quite a bit of climbing

Bike Ride Profile | deems hills near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I prefer CW myself just so i warm up on it, like others said you most likely wont get lost if you stay on the trails. I got lost once and ended up on roads trying to get around, so just stay on the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minnesotam7 View Post
    Here's one of my strava rides. You can easily hit all the trails at Deems in 1.5 hours. Pretty good workout with quite a bit of climbing

Bike Ride Profile | deems hills near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava
    Nice job on that ride. Climbed to the top 3 different times!
    -boom

mtbr member
    How rocky/technical/difficult are these trails ? Can a novice level rider ride these trails ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    How rocky/technical/difficult are these trails ? Can a novice level rider ride these trails ?
    The trails are somewhat rocky, but nothing too technical. Just don't over ride the downhills. You can pick up speed fast!

mtbr member
    Deems was fun. It is definately pretty different than Sonoran on the other side of the I17, but it was still a good ride. It seems the rocks there are just annoying to me a bit but nothing too technical at all, and some of the climbs seem straight up lol. I am sure I just need to find the best route but I did like it for a change in my normal riding locations. Unfortunately my front wheel got caught once funny by some rocks going very slow and made me fall. No damage to me, but the bike landed on the handle bar right on my Garmin Edge 800 and cracked/scratched the screen . It still works but thoroughly pissed me off. Anyone know if Garmin will replace the screen on those things?
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    Deems was fun. It is definately pretty different than Sonoran on the other side of the I17, but it was still a good ride. It seems the rocks there are just annoying to me a bit but nothing too technical at all, and some of the climbs seem straight up lol. I am sure I just need to find the best route but I did like it for a change in my normal riding locations. Unfortunately my front wheel got caught once funny by some rocks going very slow and made me fall. No damage to me, but the bike landed on the handle bar right on my Garmin Edge 800 and cracked/scratched the screen . It still works but thoroughly pissed me off. Anyone know if Garmin will replace the screen on those things?
    Ouch! I feel your pain, as I also own an 800, too and would hate for it to get damaged. That being said, I believe I read somewhere that Garmin will repair the screen. It can't hurt to call. Good luck!
    -boom

mtbr member
    I went around the cirumference trail, counter clockwise. There was a 30 yard steep climb on the south side of the mountain and could not get enough traction on the gravel and small rocks. Maybe I attacked it in too low of a gear, cuz I was spinning my wheels .I think I am going clockwise next time.

mtbr member
    I like to do a modified figure 8 going clockwise (north from the soccer lot) to begin. Ride around to the the switchback climb to the saddle, over and down to the east (left) then when I get up near the top of the east peak, I will either: do a loop around and come back to the saddle using the same trail I got there on, go over the top of the east peak to the saddle or down to the east lot. From east lot I go aroudn the northern side of the water tank, and back to the saddle. From the saddle- I take the northern side of the south side of the west peak back to the soccer lot usually- just depends on traffic and how I feel. I have looped around about 12 miles of riding there with only a few sections repeated in the same direction. Pretty fun place if you want to climb and do fast tricky (not really technical chunk) decending.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I went around the cirumference trail, counter clockwise. There was a 30 yard steep climb on the south side of the mountain and could not get enough traction on the gravel and small rocks. Maybe I attacked it in too low of a gear, cuz I was spinning my wheels .I think I am going clockwise next time.
    Don't kick yourself, that is a tough climb at the end going that direction to the saddle. I have done it a few times and not once have I cleaned it.
    -boom