How much further ???

AngleFire. Bike question

Im going to be heading to NM in July and was thinking of heading up to AngleFire for an overnight trip. I was wondering for those of you who have been there would it be better to bring my RM Slayer to save a little $$$ or would I really benefit from a true DH bike and just bite the bullet and rent one from their fleet?

If I do rent do you think they would be cool putting my clipless pedals on their bike? I know its not normal and most use flats but I only use clipless and would actually feel considerably more comfortable on what I know.

Thoughts?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    would you rather break your bike,, or break a rental bike, where the rental contract is implying they are issuing you a downhill-worthy bike?

How much further ???
    I hear you but Im not too worried about breaking it. Part of the reason I got the Slayer is because I figured it could handle the few times I decided to ride lift assisted trails and yet still be fun at my local trails. I obviously dont want to break the bike but Im also not going to be riding like Gwin so Im not sure I really need 8" of travel. Then again I have no idea what Im talking about when it comes to DH.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I was there last year and rented a TR450, they take great care of their rental fleet. Plus they have a freakin awesome selection of rentals. Most trails are good for AM/fr bikes, but some expert trails get really steep.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'd rent a DH bike. More fun and a gateway to buying your own.

Alive and Lurkin'

AngleFire. Bike question

As an owner of a DH and a 6.7" pedal bike, if I knew I was going to ride lift served terrain and not do pedal rides, I would definitely ride the DH over the pedal bike any day. DH bikes are just way more fun and I doubt the rental shop would have any problems with you using your own pedals. Something definitely worth considering (if you haven't already done so) would be a Full-Face helmet and at least forearm/elbow pads and knee/shin guards.

Sent using Tap N Stalk
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    Have you checked out their web site? I think it is only $10 more for the primium DH bike rentals. This includes the Santa Cruz V10 Carbon. Well worth the money to ride a bike of that caliber on what looks like great trails. Take your bike too since you bought it to handle this type of riding. Have fun!

_____
    Jul 2007
    This is a well timed post. I just found out I'll get to ride Winter Park in July and was planning on bringing my Mojo HD. I also run clip less and my brakes moto style. I'm 6'5 and need and XL bike with wide bars. How accomadating are DH park rental shops for fitting really tall riders and swapping brakes?

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaseSpace168 View Post
    I was there last year and rented a TR450, they take great care of their rental fleet. Plus they have a freakin awesome selection of rentals. Most trails are good for AM/fr bikes, but some expert trails get really steep.
    i took my beefy 6"am bike there in the fall and didnt have much trouble riding everything. i wasnt clearing the bigger gaps and tables by any means but the trails are no more consistently steep or techy as ginger, private, prom night and/or wasabi. just wayyyyyy bigger hits on some trails and of course giant berms everywhere.

we also rode south boundary trail on the same trip so my bike covered both types of riding and the trade-off wasnt too bad.

that said, when i go back this year:

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I'd rent a DH bike. More fun and a gateway to buying your own.
    the rental/repair shop and guys that work there are top-notch. super helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. my buddy taco'd the holy hell out of his front wheel on one of the giant hits on candyland and they gave him a loaner wheel for 2 days for almost nothing.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by SiO2 View Post
    This is a well timed post. I just found out I'll get to ride Winter Park in July and was planning on bringing my Mojo HD.
    If you are out there the last week of July I will be out there with other AZ peeps. Maybe we can get some runs in. You will have sooo much fun!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending View Post
    i took my beefy 6"am bike there in the fall and didnt have much trouble riding everything. i wasnt clearing the bigger gaps and tables by any means but the trails are no more consistently steep or techy as ginger, private, prom night and/or wasabi. just wayyyyyy bigger hits on some trails and of course giant berms everywhere.
    I plan on going this year, I'm bringing my ReignX and riding it one day and renting a premium another. They have so many good rentals, and what they advertise they actually have. I cant wait.

mtbr member
    Will be out there 3rd week of July, plan on using my stock '13 Enduro Evo. Leavin the DH rig at home this time. Want to see what the Evo can do. Depends on what you want to do out there I guess....if you want to plow through stuff, the DH rigs will do it for sure, but I think more fun could be had on a FR bike. Since im kind of a hack, im sure i'll test the travel limits of the Evo on some of the giant tables they have out there....

mtbr member
    Brian I'm rolling with OhTeeBee, looks like we may see you guys there if we have crossover on our schedule.

OP a friend of ours had the '05/06 slayer and had no trouble at NRA or Whistler. RM has since made the Slayer more freeride friendly from what I remember. You should be fine on it. Watch the videos then decide what kind of bike you want to ride.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube