mtbr member

Angel fire Bike Park?!!

So in my quest to find the perfect personal biking mecca i stumbled upon this magical little place....

http://angelfirebikepark.com/index.php

Everything i have seen about this place just makes me drool over my keyboard...and need a new pair of pants

and heres a little teaser

The easy flowy fast kind...

http://vimeo.com/25685425

and the hardcore stuff i can only do in dreams...

http://vimeo.com/25478601

So im gearing up for this...

Right now the plan is, get to Albuquerque thursday night, head out early friday morning to get there and rip it up till either im airlifted out, the lifts stop, or they close. then head back down and continue on with my Jeeping trip...

Right now im going to get the lift pass along with an all day gear rental just because my pathetic helmet sucks for DH stuff...but i'm still on the fence about renting a bike...i know my bike isnt a DH bike...but for the stuff i'd do, the easy, fast, flowy trails with jumps, my bike is set up for it pretty well i think (in my inexperienced and limited wisdom of the biking world) for what it is... but i'm kind of afraid to rent a DH bike and realize my bike is a total POS that needs to be thrown in the garbage (hypothetically of course) and a nice fancy bike bought...Opinions??

Anyone been there? Any advice, tips, words of wisdom, condolences, anything?? This will be my first LONG road trip to bike. So i want to make this worth every penny and not be able to stop smiling till they stuff me with a horse tranquilizer and pass out...

Also anyone be willing to lend me their GoPro for the weekend??

AKA shitbird
    I've been to Angelfire a few times to participate in the 12 hour DH race that Redbull puts on in October. What I can say is that the World Cup course is fast, fast, fast, chunky and FUN. Supreme is a great trail as well and lower section of it has some ridiculously sweet berms. All around great place to ride!

As far as the bike goes I'd recommend renting a DH bike if you're going to ride the DH trails. Buuut with that being said, pretty much any terrain can be ridden on nearly any bike, it just depends on your abilities and how fast/big you want to go.
    JRA

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankerblade View Post
    Right now the plan is, get to Albuquerque thursday night, head out early friday morning to get there and rip it up till either im airlifted out, the lifts stop, or they close. then head back down and continue on with my Jeeping trip...
    Don't underestimate the extreme beating your body will take downhilling. As much as I'd like to I have no illusions about being able to DH all day. I could not do it and ride safely. But, you'll find out where your limits are when you get there (maybe you already do?). Like me, when you start falling over on features you cleaned earlier in the day it may be time to relax

Also anyone be willing to lend me their GoPro for the weekend??
    Google pulls up quite a few of these...
    http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/vide...deo-action-cam
    http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/...r/Gopro_HDHERO

They say the battery will last ~2 hours. I can get 10 or 12 gigs (720p at 60 fps) on one battery and it's still going so I'd get 16g cards.

dirt visionary
    So how'd this trip go? I am planning to head up there and lodge at the mountain for a few days and get my shred on
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Clock- The trip was absolutely AMAZING!!!! I WILL be going back, hopefully sooner then later. Only complaint i have is my bike absolutely SUCKS! So i'll be renting a bike next time im up. I should have pictures up soon. Ive been so busy with work i havent had much time

dirt visionary
    Right on .

mtbr member
    So here's my first stab at making a legitimate trail review...although im sure it will be fairly bland compared to others who post their rides...

Me and a buddy meet up at rio rancho at about 2:15 AM...got my jeep loaded up and planned on leaving around 5am to get there at about 8 and be ready to hit the trails by the time they opened. however my buddy cant count and figured if we leave at 3...then we'll get there at about 8 when its a 3 hour drive.....

Needless to say we got there really early and wondered around the area on the bikes and got me a helmet and tried to find a new seatpost but none of the bike shops had a seat post...

8:30 hit so we started up the hill to get to the lifts and along the way stopped and talked to this guy who was on his way out and gave me and my buddy a free allday lift ticket. SCORE

And for the pics...

Our warm up ride around town

Me

The views...

The well used bus stop

The ride up....it ended up being about 10-13min long

My sore excuse for a bike

mtbr member
    Some more....

After 2 runs we needed to take a break and hit up the pump track...

Once it was all said and done, we went and got some pizza at one of the local pizza places.

All in all it was a good day i think...for my first time ever doing a "true" downhill course i only flipped twice....

We got 3 runs in, all on the beginner courses since im a little baby. and if i did an intermediate, my wrists were killing me since my front fork isnt set up right and just plain sucks...

Great place to go! i would highly recommend it to anyone!

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Clock- The trip was absolutely AMAZING!!!! I WILL be going back, hopefully sooner then later.
    I have wanted to check that place out for a few years now.
    This might be a perfect time to do it 2nd Annual Freeride Festival.
    Any other AZ riders plan on checking this out? I would prefer to share a ride and cut costs.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

dirt visionary
    Yeah man If I can't get up there sooner I would be willing .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortBusJames View Post
    I have wanted to check that place out for a few years now.
    This might be a perfect time to do it 2nd Annual Freeride Festival.
    Any other AZ riders plan on checking this out? I would prefer to share a ride and cut costs.
    We checked out that place a couple months ago and had a blast! A few of us were tossing around the idea of going to that event in Aug but nothing set in stone yet.
    I haven't done any searches for hotel rooms in that are but there is a pretty cool camping spot 10 minutes away that we we stayed at that has that "candy" feel to it... no shuttle roads, but fun terrain to HAB. There were also some other mountain bikers from Colorado doing the same thing in that area.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Looks like it was a good time. how are the green and blue trails? my son is 12 and yet to down hill. I would like him to have a good time trying down hill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine85929 View Post
    Looks like it was a good time. how are the green and blue trails? my son is 12 and yet to down hill. I would like him to have a good time trying down hill.
    I Would recommend the green (easy) trails for him. This was also my "first" true downhill experience and it was rough for me. Although it could have also been my bike being crappy....however, i would stick to the green, the majority of them are nice and flowy and not too rough like some of the blue trails. Only thing to watch out for, is they can get fast!