mtbr member

Anbody up for a Weight Gain Challenge?

The last thing you want to hear the day before Thanksgiving is "you tore your Achilles’." I get to find out how severe on Monday, but not really what I wanted to hear leading up to the holidays, especially after shedding 30 lbs since last year.

Anybody have any good recommendations to stay in (relative) shape if biking/hiking is out of the mix?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

wretch
    Skinny sorry to hear about your injury. . . I've just torn my PCL and Hamstring and find myself in the same boat. I already feel pretty awful after 1 week of no exercise.

Ill keep you posted on the weight gain and the exercise ideas. . .

Did it happen riding?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    The last thing you want to hear the day before Thanksgiving is "you tore your Achilles’." I get to find out how severe on Monday, but not really what I wanted to hear leading up to the holidays, especially after shedding 30 lbs since last year.

Anybody have any good recommendations to stay in (relative) shape if biking/hiking is out of the mix?
    OH $H!T dude! that so sucks? what happened you get cleated there or something? I severely sprained mine many years ago, and it affected my range of motion in direct proportion to is state of healing. I unfortunately dont have much to suggest - its why they call it "the achilles." Either way my guess is you will be in a boot for awhile. Free weights and other upper body stuff, maybe you can swim? IT should be easy to find some info on rehab exercises, and the doctors will surely guide you on this one.

REALLY SORRY to hear the news.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    Skinny sorry to hear about your injury. . . I've just torn my PCL and Hamstring and find myself in the same boat. I already feel pretty awful after 1 week of no exercise.

Ill keep you posted on the weight gain and the exercise ideas. . .

Did it happen riding?
    Okay, 176 lbs starting now. Challenge ends Jan. 2. The person who gains the least amount of percentage of weight buys first round (let's open up to anybody else on the mend*).

I was playing Ultimate Frisbee on Monday, and came down awkwardly when I landed.

*"on the mend" means unable to ride your bike, so no cheating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    OH $H!T dude! that so sucks? what happened you get cleated there or something? I severely sprained mine many years ago, and it affected my range of motion in direct proportion to is state of healing. I unfortunately dont have much to suggest - its why they call it "the achilles." Either way my guess is you will be in a boot for awhile. Free weights and other upper body stuff, maybe you can swim? IT should be easy to find some info on rehab exercises, and the doctors will surely guide you on this one.

REALLY SORRY to hear the news.
    I got a new pair of cleats--I had hard surfaced cleats, and decided to go to the longer cleat since the Ultimate fields were getting in better shape--and came down and twisted my ankle. I knew it wasn't the ankle, because I heard a pop, and then a sharp pain up the back of my calf. Was crossing my fingers that it was a muscle tear or something, but doc just called and said it was torn. Going to an orthopedic on Monday to see how bad.

I saw a guy out on T100 last week riding what I think was a arm powered tri-wheeled bike. (Anybody else see him? I think he was out last Monday.) I guess I have enough room in the garage for another bike

parenting for gnarness
    I got a new pair of cleats--I had hard surfaced cleats, and decided to go to the longer cleat since the Ultimate fields were getting in better shape--and came down and twisted my ankle. I knew it wasn't the ankle, because I heard a pop, and then a sharp pain up the back of my calf. Was crossing my fingers that it was a muscle tear or something, but doc just called and said it was torn. Going to an orthopedic on Monday to see how bad.

I saw a guy out on T100 last week riding what I think was a arm powered tri-wheeled bike. (Anybody else see him? I think he was out last Monday.) I guess I have enough room in the garage for another bike
    man that sucks! if you heard a pop... I had turfs and firm-ground shoes only. adidas once sent me a $100 pair of soft-ground shoes by mistake and I never wore them in like 4 yrs, sold em on ebay. Where'd you do it? morbid curiosity - we could make it a betting game...Benedict? TSC? Mesa Riverview?

you really kicked butt with the diet the last year, stay positive! one of those f'd up trikes will be worth it, you can resell it i'm sure. They do have those machines in the gym too, and you can at least watch tv or read. Situps and other core work you can do. Unfortunately, nothing else really comes to mind where you don't need to move your ankles you will probably look like Walt when all this is done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    man that sucks! if you heard a pop... I had turfs and firm-ground shoes only. adidas once sent me a $100 pair of soft-ground shoes by mistake and I never wore them in like 4 yrs, sold em on ebay. Where'd you do it? morbid curiosity - we could make it a betting game...Benedict? TSC? Mesa Riverview?

you really kicked butt with the diet the last year, stay positive! one of those f'd up trikes will be worth it, you can resell it i'm sure. They do have those machines in the gym too, and you can at least watch tv or read. Situps and other core work you can do. Unfortunately, nothing else really comes to mind where you don't need to move your ankles you will probably look like Walt when all this is done.
    Riverview.

After it happened, I started getting all paranoid. I went to rub the tendon, and noticed it was really fleshy compared to my right foot. I remember hearing horror stories of guys who snapped their plantar fasciitis, and how it would roll up into their feet. I started feeling in the back of my calf to see if I could feel the tendon rolled up, assuming the tendon completely snapped. Not being a docter, but I'm assuming that's not possible.

When I first started playing Ultimate, everybody said get turf shoes, because the fields were so hard. I never had a problem, save for an occasional spained ankle. But noticed lately I was one of a very few still using turf shoes, so I got a pair of Nike 90s. I wore them for the first time on Saturday for the tourney at Benedict, and really like how they fit, and let me dig into the ground. I honestly think it was just a freak occurance (although I do think the shoes did play a factor).

To be honest, I attribute the weight loss mostly to me changing my diet, so I'm not overly concerned about gaining too much weight if I can't exercise, as long as I stick to a low carb diet. What sucks is it has to happen this time of the year. I'm going to Autumn's parents for X-mas. Her mom literally bakes probably 100 dozen cookies (totally serious), and it's damn hard to say no.

parenting for gnarness
    Riverview.

After it happened, I started getting all paranoid. I went to rub the tendon, and noticed it was really fleshy compared to my right foot. I remember hearing horror stories of guys who snapped their plantar fasciitis, and how it would roll up into their feet. I started feeling in the back of my calf to see if I could feel the tendon rolled up, assuming the tendon completely snapped. Not being a docter, but I'm assuming that's not possible.
    i totally get that fear, when you hurt yourself and are worrying just how bad.

When I first started playing Ultimate, everybody said get turf shoes, because the fields were so hard. I never had a problem, save for an occasional spained ankle. But noticed lately I was one of a very few still using turf shoes, so I got a pair of Nike 90s. I wore them for the first time on Saturday for the tourney at Benedict, and really like how they fit, and let me dig into the ground. I honestly think it was just a freak occurance (although I do think the shoes did play a factor).
    i used to use the adidas Kaisers which had a traditional round vertical stud pattern, and they sucked out here, turf shoes were way better. Around 10 yrs ago the angled pattern became really popular, and it really worked better especially out here, imo. Except for total concrete where the pounding was just so bad, i didn't use the turfs. Maybe 80%-20%. Which may also explain why i have no meniscus. But stud length was also important. Who knows...probably just been a minor difference that was enough for your body to not react in time, like learning the break on a new tread pattern of tire. sucks!!!

To be honest, I attribute the weight loss mostly to me changing my diet, so I'm not overly concerned about gaining too much weight if I can't exercise, as long as I stick to a low carb diet. What sucks is it has to happen this time of the year. I'm going to Autumn's parents for X-mas. Her mom literally bakes probably 100 dozen cookies (totally serious), and it's damn hard to say no.
    awesome! you wouldnt want to lose that refugee-camp figure.
    mmmm....cookies. i suggest you give yourself a minor indulgence to be a fat sack of crap if you make it til then still thin. hopefully by then you can be doing some more workouts. Get better, happy thoughts for you!!!!

How about a lake kayak?

(I'm gonna make damn sure to not get hurt ski touring the next two days.)

wretch
    Skinny my lady is a Dr. Phyiscal Therapist Thingy and got me hooked into fantastic sports minded doctor care and pt. (she said no way in hell is she treating me). . .
    If you need any recs or perhaps a quick appt. let me know Id be more than happy.

176lb's hmmm. . . this might be hard. . . I suppose you've got more to gain and I have more to lose.

Have you seen any pro's yet?

Kathleen in AZ
    Dang - lots of injuries lately! Sorry to hear your news. I got my bad news today too. I'm thinking beer and hot tub therapy are how I'm going to stay sane. Fit? That'll come easy once we're back in the saddle.

wretch
    Ive got two weeks till I can be on a stationary, I was then told to get a lighter bike and find some nicer terrain. I replied with "how about snowboarding". . . Not till Feburary

mtbr member
    Heal up, dood!

pedaller
    Sorry to here about your injury skinny. It does SUCK to lose a bunch of wieght only to get injured and start putting it back on - AND during the holidays! Good Luck staying skinny!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

sorry to hear, i am sure it was mentioned but i didn't read any responses. aquatics would make the most sense...no?

mx