Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

amazon is collecting arizona sales tax now

is this bike related ? well, yes since I order so many bike items off of amazon...

they just started to collect sales tax... what a bummer... I guess that is good for the local bike shops... makes it more of an even playing field...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Except you can still have a better chance of getting what you are looking for on Amazon and having it shipped to you faster, without the guilt factor
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i've used their same day-local delivery before... it's not on all items,, but if you have prime, order in the morning, and the item is AT the arizona warehouse,, you can get it for $4 shipping.
    that beats having to get in your car and drive to any store

parenting for gnarness
    they have to, they have physical store in Phx (area), evn though its a warehouse and not retail. No different than REI, in the state's view. I heard there was a negotiated settlement iwth the state gov to deal with past non-payments but dont recall the details.
    Last edited by chollaball; 02-14-2013 at 09:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    bummer.

mtbr member
    my wife ordered something from Amazon on Monday. No sales tax paid. ...
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    my wife ordered something from Amazon on Monday. No sales tax paid. ...
    you can order from other non-amazon vendors on amazon... that could be why...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

My other ride is your mom
    I think it's a good thing. We have a huge business with a foot print here in the valley. Their employees use public services like public education and yet the business does not pay a portion of their taxes via collected sales tax.

Still....shop local folks....for christs sakes....shop local and keep the money here in town.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post

Still....shop local folks....for christs sakes....shop local and keep the money here in town.
    just like the LDS!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    just like the LDS!
    LBS or LSD?

I don't mind paying a little extra and buy from my LBS, although sometimes they WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overcharge for stuff - like CO2 cartridges and other small things.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think it's a good thing. We have a huge business with a foot print here in the valley. Their employees use public services like public education and yet the business does not pay a portion of their taxes via collected sales tax.
    This would suggest that before paying this tax, Amazon was a net drain on the local economy? Not sure I buy that.

Besides, you were supposed to give the state that saved tax money anyway, no?

Effective for 2011, any individual filing Arizona Form 140, Resident Personal Income Tax Return, Arizona Form 140PY, Part Year Resident Personal Income Tax Return, or Arizona Form 140NR, Arizona Nonresident Personal Income Tax Return, will now be required to report Arizona use tax liabilities on purchases made from vendors that do not collect the Arizona transaction privilege (sales) tax (TPT) that are subsequently stored, used or consumed in Arizona.
    Of course, I do understand reality.....

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i collected and remitted a whole $725 in AZ sales tax from about $8k in-state sales last year...

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    im sure when amazon agreed to BUILD their warehouse here, the suspension of sales tax for a certain period was part of the bargain in exchange for guaranteeing a certain number of jobs for the area.
    lots of states offer large businesses these types of incentives.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    im sure when amazon agreed to BUILD their warehouse here, the suspension of sales tax for a certain period was part of the bargain in exchange for guaranteeing a certain number of jobs for the area.
    lots of states offer large businesses these types of incentives.
    I think you have your facts mixed up. I thought companies get INCOME tax breaks. State sales taxes are collected by the company, and they send it all to the government.

Anyways, it is definitely a bummer.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    it's not so much to benefit their bottom line on paper, but to benefit their customer base.
    think about how many AZ people signed up for prime, and REGULARLY order, knowing they get their stuff next day and no tax.
    if they had started collecting tax from the beginning, I don't think they would have hooked as many AZ peeps.
    think of it as a grand opening sale that needs approval from state legislature.
    once you have established the customer loyalty, then you can up the prices.
    sure you might lose some people, but overall the majority will stay.

mtbr member

So, hooray for protectionism? It's never worked before, but this time it'll be different?

Myself, and any other consumer out there, will ultimately do what's in our best interest. And my best interest is to get the most value for my dollar. Whoever can provide me with that, gets my dollar, wherever they are. Now, the local places I shop at can't really compete with the internet as far as cost, but they provide other value, so the price difference is negated by the other value.

Can I get a bike cheaper on the internet than I can at the LBS? Yes. But, the internet won't fix the damn thing when it breaks, so even though the upfront costs are higher, I place a value on service, and it's smarter to buy from the LBS. Just an example.

mtbr member
    Eazy E is correct. I need to get the most value from my dollar and internet shoping does that. So what does that mean for the Lbs? They have to provide a value to me that goes beyond price. That comes down to service. Either actual bike service or customer service. Why pay 10-30% more for an item at an LBS when you can get the exact thing on-line? Now if you don't know what you need and need customer support then you can't beat local shops if they do it well.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

banned
    Aug 2012
    QVC got in the same bind, when they did their coast 2 coast sales tour ... Some kind of legal mumbo jumbo I could care less about, but they are now required to charge a State sales tax, regardless of which State one lives in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post

makes it more of an even playing field...
    Um, no it does not.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    it's not so much to benefit their bottom line on paper, but to benefit their customer base.
    think about how many AZ people signed up for prime, and REGULARLY order, knowing they get their stuff next day and no tax.
    if they had started collecting tax from the beginning, I don't think they would have hooked as many AZ peeps.
    think of it as a grand opening sale that needs approval from state legislature.
    once you have established the customer loyalty, then you can up the prices.
    sure you might lose some people, but overall the majority will stay.
    not following you -- i signed up for Prime after several years of us buying most of our stuff online and a lot more from Amazon then anywhere else, and combine the account with my wife. We did it for free shipping, taxes did not enter into our calculation. Not a fan of the taxes, but Amazon mostly is still the leader in finding what you want with confidence and ease of use. They are far easier to use than Ebay\Paypal with much less spelunking in the ether for your product and much faster checkout. I am more inclined to go back to Amazon now with the Prime fee paid and knowing shipping is free, but I'm not exclusive about it. If their site sucked, I would never have signed up.

wrecking crew
    Amazon is now collecting in AZ since Feb 1st I believe...another forum I was on was posting this same thing. 6.6% sales tax is being charged in AZ, I believe and they are getting ready to add Nevada to that list as well.

Amazon.com Help: Sales Tax Requirements
    ~~~

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think its wonderful. All on-line retailers should be forced to collect appropriate sales tax in every state they sell into. Its not a right to buy stuff tax free, it was a way to subsidize a business model years ago.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    I think its wonderful. All on-line retailers should be forced to collect appropriate sales tax in every state they sell into. Its not a right to buy stuff tax free, it was a way to subsidize a business model years ago.
    Speak for yourself ,we are taxed to death on everything next the local municipalities will want in on the action.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    Speak for yourself ,we are taxed to death on everything next the local municipalities will want in on the action.
    As more business has gone on-line (and default "out of state" sales) it reduced the sales tax revenue states and local govenments collected. Why are your entitled to buy stuff tax free? There are state which have no sales tax, if you want sales tax free items move there.

I'm pretty conservative but feel this is a loophole that should be closed. What you dont realize is that this shortfall in revenue on a state and local level needs to be made up for elsewhere. As a result property taxes, intangible taxes, state income taxes (both corproate and individual) all go up.

If you have no investments, no real estate holdings and a low wage job then these mean little if anything to you because you. I don't know your individual situation, but I don't want to be foreced to subsidize your sales tax evasion, or anyone elses via my income, property and other assorted taxes.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    How about the government realizes that it exists for OUR benefit instead of us existing for THEIR benefit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast