mtbr member

Am I over GPS monitors?

So I used to have the Garmin Edge- really liked it but got rid of it in a package deal whilst I suffered through the terrbile disease of laziness. Then when I got going again- bought a Forerunner 305 (was thinking tri-dumb on my part). I am not really super satisfied with the free training/logging programs (Sporttracks is nice- but I don't use the mapping function much and it just corrupted and hid/lost my history) .and my Forerunner just broke and needs refurb from Garmin.

Do I angle for a credit towards a newer model or another edge?

Do I go with a standard computer without GPS?

I do use the HR function pretty heavily and I do like altimeter features too. Just really don't see the need for GPS for me since I usually only ride pretty much where I know where I am- unless it was the new Edge that actually has maps- that would be useful for exploring around.

What do you think?
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I got pissed at my Edge305 after the screen broke the second time.

mtbr member
    I've got a Garmin 500 that I'm extremely happy with. It's a solid product compared to the Edge 305.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey
    I've got a Garmin 500 that I'm extremely happy with. It's a solid product compared to the Edge 305.
    How does it do on the pump track? Pretty consistent?

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey

you mean Edge 500 ? The Garmin 500 is for aircraft.

mtbr member
    I gave up on mine again... I just sent it in 6 months ago, and it quit working. I have given up on everything... no HR monitor, computer, gps, nothing on my bike - I go through phases...

on a side note, if you are sending yours in for refurb, let me know and I will ship mine with it... last time we did it we actually got a break on the refurb...

mtbr member
    Done Tom- give my yours when we get the brakes and I will get some RMA's and ship em.

"Uppercase with a space"

My other ride is your mom
    I have a 705 which I am in love with except for one reason......multi-day utility. I love the fact that I have a USGS topo map behind the display....but hate the fact that I only get about 18 hrs of battery life out of it.....and for me, that translates to a day and a half of riding.

I'd willing to do a swap with someone who feels the above issue is not a problem....for a unit that allows for a battery change without a plug/USB which the 705 requires. If Garmin just made the 705 which allowed for battery change....it would be the perfect unit in my mind.

The topo map in the background is INVALUABLE for me in the winter on my BC adventures.....it will be missed, however.

mtbr member
    I had an Edge 305. It worked great, except for the battery life, but I found myself using it less and less. So I sold it.
    I realized that I don't really care enough about the numbers, just want to ride.

The 500 looks pretty sweet though.

mtbr member
    Yep- just decided this morning that I am going to run a speedo/odo from an old road bike and call it good. Thanks for the input.

"Uppercase with a space"

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    Yep- just decided this morning that I am going to run a speedo/odo from an old road bike and call it good. Thanks for the input.
    When it is right, you may find yourself wanting a GPS again. I know it is the best piece of equipment (bike-related) that I have purchased. Stay basic now, but always keep the GPS in the back of your mind.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I have a 705 which I am in love with except for one reason......multi-day utility. I love the fact that I have a USGS topo map behind the display....but hate the fact that I only get about 18 hrs of battery life out of it.....and for me, that translates to a day and a half of riding.

I'd willing to do a swap with someone who feels the above issue is not a problem....for a unit that allows for a battery change without a plug/USB which the 705 requires. If Garmin just made the 705 which allowed for battery change....it would be the perfect unit in my mind.

The topo map in the background is INVALUABLE for me in the winter on my BC adventures.....it will be missed, however.
    I noticed the same battery problem if you're planning on doing a few days on the trail. Working on some plans to follow the the AZT300 route through Patagonia and I just needed my GPS to work for two days (I've got the 605). My solution was to get a Minty Boost. Its a kit that you assemble inside of an Altoids gum tin that takes AA batteries and converts the output to a USB. All you have to do is carry some AA batteries and you can recharge on the trail. Perfect GPS now. I just got the kit last week and haven't put it together yet, so I can't vouch for it, but I'm quite optimistic. I'll let you know how it works out.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.