Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    We de MAMMY NUNS!
    Reputation: Ya_Hozna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    339

    Alta and more -- Sunday

    I'm going to ride Alta with some pre / post trails included. Looking at the trail map with mileage, it looks like about 15 miles. I'm going to start on Max Delta Trail to Bajada to Alta (doing Alta East to West) to National to Bajada to Ranger to Las Lomitas to Box Canyon. I've ridden all of this among several rides except for maybe two miles and everything I've ridden is nice. I expected them to be a lot sandier, but they were nice.

    Any interest in joining me? I'm expecting a slow to moderate pace. Starting at 8:30ish to meet at the parking lot across from Scorpion Gulch. I'm assuming you can park there. If not there's a lot at the Holbert and Box Canyon trailheads just past the Environmental Center.
    I've nothing to add....

  2. #2
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya_Hozna
    I'm going to ride Alta with some pre / post trails included. Looking at the trail map with mileage, it looks like about 15 miles. I'm going to start on Max Delta Trail to Bajada to Alta (doing Alta East to West) to National to Bajada to Ranger to Las Lomitas to Box Canyon. I've ridden all of this among several rides except for maybe two miles and everything I've ridden is nice. I expected them to be a lot sandier, but they were nice.

    Any interest in joining me? I'm expecting a slow to moderate pace. Starting at 8:30ish to meet at the parking lot across from Scorpion Gulch. I'm assuming you can park there. If not there's a lot at the Holbert and Box Canyon trailheads just past the Environmental Center.
    Hmmm.. your ride is indeed intriguing, especially considering all your recent scouting for sand (or lack of sand). I've sworn up and down that Alta is a damn hiking trail and that I'd never haul a bike up there, but with so many of you enjoying it by bike maybe I need to give it a try. See you 8:30ish (that means 9AM, right?) across from Scorpion Gulch.

  3. #3
    We de MAMMY NUNS!
    Reputation: Ya_Hozna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Hmmm.. your ride is indeed intriguing, especially considering all your recent scouting for sand (or lack of sand). I've sworn up and down that Alta is a damn hiking trail and that I'd never haul a bike up there, but with so many of you enjoying it by bike maybe I need to give it a try. See you 8:30ish (that means 9AM, right?) across from Scorpion Gulch.
    That settles it then. 9AM across from Scorpion Gulch.
    I've nothing to add....

  4. #4
    wrecking crew
    Reputation: su.ling~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,402
    oooh oohhh! I LOVE Alta! In fact the Alta/National/Bajada combo was a hoot last time we went. Where is Scorpion Gulch?

    Any uploadable map of those trails available for route viewing?
    ~~~

  5. #5
    We de MAMMY NUNS!
    Reputation: Ya_Hozna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    oooh oohhh! I LOVE Alta! In fact the Alta/National/Bajada combo was a hoot last time we went. Where is Scorpion Gulch?

    Any uploadable map of those trails available for route viewing?
    As your approaching the first ranger shack, there's an old, square, stone building on your left. On the top above what would be maybe a front entrance is painted "This is Scorpion Gulch."

    As far as maps, I got one from the ranger shack. It's probably a copy of a copy of a copy, etc. I tried to scan it but the clarity is just poopoo.

    So, you LOVE Alta, huh? Does that mean you're going to join us?
    I've nothing to add....

  6. #6
    wrecking crew
    Reputation: su.ling~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,402
    9 am Staging Time or FIP time?
    ~~~

  7. #7
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,115
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    9 am Staging Time or FIP time?
    Better be staging time because I'm still eating breakfast and trying to wake up!!! See you at 9 girlie.

  8. #8
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya_Hozna
    I'm going to ride Alta with some pre / post trails included. Looking at the trail map with mileage, it looks like about 15 miles. I'm going to start on Max Delta Trail to Bajada to Alta (doing Alta East to West) to National to Bajada to Ranger to Las Lomitas to Box Canyon. I've ridden all of this among several rides except for maybe two miles and everything I've ridden is nice. I expected them to be a lot sandier, but they were nice.

    Any interest in joining me? I'm expecting a slow to moderate pace. Starting at 8:30ish to meet at the parking lot across from Scorpion Gulch. I'm assuming you can park there. If not there's a lot at the Holbert and Box Canyon trailheads just past the Environmental Center.
    Thanks to Todd (Ya Honza) for organizing this ride... I am now a believer. Alta is not just a hiking trail and makes a fine biking trail! The east-to-west ride makes for a not-too-hard climb and the techy sections on the top and down the west side are not as heinous as I was remembering from years-ago hiking. Heinous enough for me to walk a bunch, but heck, I always walk a bunch and am ok with that. Hooking up with Bajada and other trails made for a great ride with no road sections, but a vary hard and tiring ride. I'm whooped!! Here are some pics from the day...

    P.S. check out my new shorts!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 02-25-2007 at 03:01 PM.

  9. #9
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,115
    And a few more pictures... I think it's time to go hit the hot tub now. Chores? I was supposed to do chores this weekend?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    wrecking crew
    Reputation: su.ling~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,402
    Oh I LOOOOVEEEE Alta! What a fantastic ride and what a beeeeeautiful day! Had a blast today. Thanks Kathleen & Paul B for doing a little trailside chain repair on my bike.

    Nice to meet you Paul and Todd! The company on this ride was awesome. Jeff and I had such a good time! Bajada was definitely tiring after doing Max Delta, Bajada (short piece by the gate), Alta and National. I was really huuungry and pooped by the time we got back to the cars.

    Thanks everyone! Much-o Fun-o! Glad you're feeling the Alta Love Kathleen!
    ~~~

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AKA Monkeybutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,318
    Nice to meet some new riders. Alta rocks, it was my second time and I like it better. The trail is like a mini Goat Camp. Big fun

  12. #12
    Meatpuppet
    Reputation: dirtrodr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    542
    Wow, I really liked this trail.
    Great riding with everyone. Nice to meet a couple new folks, Paul and Todd.
    Aside from Paul battling derailer issues, there was few problems and tons of fun.
    Good times !!
    cW

    on a side note: Jeff, you are a tough sonofa***** to keep in sight. As usual good riding w/ya.

  13. #13
    wrecking crew
    Reputation: su.ling~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,402
    ...and seeing him do that extremely nasty rocky left hand switchback twice was unnerving! Talk about no room for error. Did anyone get pics of him cleaning that ungodly gnar? That line was hideously steep!
    ~~~

  14. #14
    recovering roadie
    Reputation: dobbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    491
    That looks awesome. I gotta get out there.

    Thanks for posting the photos.

  15. #15
    Meatpuppet
    Reputation: dirtrodr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    ...and seeing him do that extremely nasty rocky left hand switchback twice was unnerving! Talk about no room for error. Did anyone get pics of him cleaning that ungodly gnar? That line was hideously steep!
    Yeah, I think I pee'd a little when I came up on that.

    ...........everybody rode very well today.
    Jeff.........you've got issues to work out

  16. #16
    Saucy Size Moderator
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Great ride, guys and gals. Sorry I couldn't hang for Bajada -- the bike's making me bonkers and I just don't have the fitness right now to hang for that many hours. I scarfed down pasta, Powerade and a nap as soon as I got home.

    Next time the big bike goes up with me. I was way, way outmatched on my hardtail. But it didn't break! Maybe I got one of the "good" Konas they allegedly made in '06.

    It was fantastic to see new members of the ever-growing MTBR family out there. I'm still smiling at all these new faces calling me the new guy.

    p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  17. #17
    We de MAMMY NUNS!
    Reputation: Ya_Hozna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Oh I LOOOOVEEEE Alta! What a fantastic ride and what a beeeeeautiful day! Had a blast today. Thanks Kathleen & Paul B for doing a little trailside chain repair on my bike.

    Nice to meet you Paul and Todd! The company on this ride was awesome. Jeff and I had such a good time! Bajada was definitely tiring after doing Max Delta, Bajada (short piece by the gate), Alta and National. I was really huuungry and pooped by the time we got back to the cars.

    Thanks everyone! Much-o Fun-o! Glad you're feeling the Alta Love Kathleen!
    Well, I grabbed the wrong two pics, but here's the idea....Mucho Gnar!!! It's Monday morning and I'm still hurtin' a bit. Jeff and Chris -- you guys are animals! Su.ling -- you're a sandbagger and you're not allowed to call yourself a newbie anymore!!! Paul - great to see you again. BrianC -- you rock! Kathleen?!?! Well what can we say about DurtGurl? I think you were the only one that didn't show any tiredness at the end. You're awesome! That last pic you posted of me hanging on my bars shows exactly how I felt! Oh - I was hurtin'!!! (this file upload thingie is confusing....)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've nothing to add....

  18. #18
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya_Hozna
    Kathleen?!?! Well what can we say about DurtGurl? I think you were the only one that didn't show any tiredness at the end. You're awesome! That last pic you posted of me hanging on my bars shows exactly how I felt! Oh - I was hurtin'!!! (this file upload thingie is confusing....)
    Oh, don't let my happy smile at the end of the ride fool you... After two hard rides this weekend, I am a blubbering idiot at work today. I am absolutely positively spent, nothing left. The Man is definitely not getting his money's worth out of me today .

  19. #19
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,722
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrodr
    on a side note: Jeff, you are a tough sonofa***** to keep in sight. As usual good riding w/ya.
    Looking at that picture of him clearing Yuri's Folly on Hairball as if it was a bike path put me over the top in terms of anger, bitterness, jealousy and frustration. Now more of the same praise is coming from Chris and Todd. Well, I don't think Jeff is real. He is a magical illusion created from the powers of fantasy we all possess. The combination of these collective powers created a spirit, if you will, that haunts and torments us on our rides. I am no longer going to accept that a real person can do what he "appears" to be doing. Finally, I can get some sleep.
    I AM JUST A JERK

  20. #20
    wrecking crew
    Reputation: su.ling~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Looking at that picture of him clearing Yuri's Folly on Hairball as if it was a bike path put me over the top in terms of anger, bitterness, jealousy and frustration. Now more of the same praise is coming from Chris and Todd. Well, I don't think Jeff is real. He is a magical illusion created from the powers of fantasy we all possess. The combination of these collective powers created a spirit, if you will, that haunts and torments us on our rides. I am no longer going to accept that a real person can do what he "appears" to be doing. Finally, I can get some sleep.
    Remember he was a pro-motocrosser, Dir. But even beyond that...We've all agreed he's a freak of nature and that since he is a freak that our inferior riding skills are not really inferior at all! Rest easy, my friend! I live/ride with him all the time! Imagine how unskilled I feel!
    ~~~

  21. #21
    Fragile - must be Italian
    Reputation: dgangi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Looking at that picture of him clearing Yuri's Folly on Hairball as if it was a bike path put me over the top in terms of anger, bitterness, jealousy and frustration. Now more of the same praise is coming from Chris and Todd. Well, I don't think Jeff is real. He is a magical illusion created from the powers of fantasy we all possess. The combination of these collective powers created a spirit, if you will, that haunts and torments us on our rides. I am no longer going to accept that a real person can do what he "appears" to be doing. Finally, I can get some sleep.
    Geez Geoff...

    If I didn't know any better I'd think you have a crush on the man. Jeff is an amazing rider, especially in the techy stuff, and is damn well worth all the praise reaped on him. But now you're gushing like a schoolgirl. Kinda creepy.

    Su-Ling - be alert and watch your windows at night. I've heard these laywer types can turn into stealthy stalkers...especially the mountain-biker-laywer breed.

    Thx...Doug

  22. #22
    I am Bob
    Reputation: chongoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,776
    aww man! that looked fun. that's a part of SoMo that I have not ridden. hope to be in on it next time. I was out in OR enjoying deep, deep powder at Mt. Hood. I can't believe how much snow that place gets. see you next time. Bob

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    524
    Kathleen,

    I LOVE your Harlot Shorts! They are completely cool!

  24. #24
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,722
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Remember he was a pro-motocrosser, Dir.
    I thought that was just a rumor. Although they were perhaps not pros, I have seen avid motocrossers turn to mud on mountain bikes. Anyway, I guess these pro motocrossers are pretty tough, although I think my flaming crane style may be superior.

    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    But even beyond that...We've all agreed he's a freak of nature and that since he is a freak that our inferior riding skills are not really inferior at all! Rest easy, my friend! I live/ride with him all the time! Imagine how unskilled I feel!
    Yes, I suppose it is not easy on the ego and such living with him, but that is assuming he is real and not a spirit sent to torment the rest of us about our goo like riding skills. Besides, at this point I am not even sure you are real. You seem to have one riding outfit that consists of sleeveless jerseys, even in the cold of winter. Not possible that a real person would not freeze.
    I AM JUST A JERK

  25. #25
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,722
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Geez Geoff...

    If I didn't know any better I'd think you have a crush on the man. Jeff is an amazing rider, especially in the techy stuff, and is damn well worth all the praise reaped on him. But now you're gushing like a schoolgirl. Kinda creepy.

    Su-Ling - be alert and watch your windows at night. I've heard these laywer types can turn into stealthy stalkers...especially the mountain-biker-laywer breed.

    Thx...Doug
    You have "found me out" Doug. Look, I'll be honest. I have massive crushes on both Jeff and Su-Ling. However, they don't need to check their windows. I am not the stealthy type. If anything, I would simply bash one of them over the head and flee to the mountains with my catch. However, I still need to decide which one to take.

    PS: Doug, you are pretty hot yourself. I suggest that when around me, you wear a helmet, on and off the bike.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •