Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alerting Hikers

Meatbomb

Alerting Hikers

I'm tired of alerting hiker with something like "on your left" only to have them turn and step to the left

I think I'll mount one of these on my bars...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How much further ???
    That may only work if they aren't wearing their f'n headphones. You may need this instead.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I have friend with horn on his bike for hiker alert. Not as large as the one you showed, but same idea.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    That may only work if they aren't wearing their f'n headphones. You may need this instead.
    Can they play Lacucaracha

Just ordered a bell off Amazon. Maybe that will help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I'm tired of alerting hiker with something like "on your left" only to have them turn and step to the left

I think I'll mount one of these on my bars...
    LOL, I have that exact horn on my cruiser. It comes in handy when bar hopping, and having to alert drunk soroity chicks who can't walk a straight line.

When it comes to hikers, I find "Get the **** out of my way or I WILL run you over" works pretty well.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Give it a crank
    Try this.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Grab blue bags of dog poo along the trail and fling it ahead next to the hiker to the side of the trail you need them to move away from. Just take caution not to run it over as you ride by.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

livin' the dream......
    Another option is to mount a super soaker to you bar and blast people with water as you approach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Mount one of these on your bars and pick your favorite tune....just not what they are listening to..

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've found that, "I'm passing on your left" works better than, "on your left."

mtbr member
    Coming up behind you.
    Thanks.

That's all you need. Most people are highly 'tarded so throwing directions like left or right in the mix will make them spaz out and probably do the opposite of what you expect them to. But you can't assume they'll do the opposite and automatically act on it, because 1/15 might actually do the correct thing, and then you've got an issue.

Just tell them you've behind them, stick to a line, and say thanks as you pass. Lowest amount of screw up potential, IMO.

My other ride is your mom
    "Mind if I pass"

"Thank you, have a great day"

I let them choose which side to move over and then take the other line...the variability becomes a challenge....the thank you and a smile leaves a lasting impression.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    "Mind if I pass"

"Thank you, have a great day"

I let them choose which side to move over and then take the other line...the variability becomes a challenge....the thank you and a smile leaves a lasting impression.
    All joking aside, what Maad posted is what seems to work best for me as well. Especially the thank you and leaving a good impression. Seems like it makes potentially bad situations turn out OK.

Vincit qui patitur
    They will almost always do the opposite. Another thing while you pass is to alert them if there is more in your party coming through.
    We had the same issues in San Diego on the boardwalk. Try passing with a tandem cruiser with ape hangers. Quite interesting when they move in front of you.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyChap View Post
    Mount one of these on your bars and pick your favorite tune....just not what they are listening to..
    man, i miss the old gigatube shelf systems that JVC used to make,, i was so pissed when my MXGT90 broke during moving in 2007..

Give it a crank
    Hikers seem to respond very well to "Coming Through" followed by "Thank You!"

When they're listening to loud music, inching the front wheel next to them in a safe spot of the trail seems to work, unless you're stravabating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I always say thank you to any hikers I meet on the trail. That is assuming they move over. I never pass them at speed on downhill or flat run, but may do it on climb, but given that a climb is slow anyway it tends not to spook them. Same goes for other bikes I meet as well.

This Saturday ran into alot of bikers and hikers on west side of the McDowells, Quartz, Lost Dog, Ringtail etc. Most were really nice I had two group yield their downhills as I was climbing. Nice because I was climbing at slow yet steady pace and did not want to break my flow. I thanked each group. There was however one solo rider who was not so nice. I caught him at the top of Taliesin at about 8:10 am. I was just finishing the climb where it joins quartz and one solo rider coming off quartz just turned and shot past me the other way. He was on the downhill and I was just finishing my uphill. We had just enough room to pass, but he did not slow or even acknowledge I was there. Seemed to have headphones on as well. I found it rather rude and so different from all the others I had pass that day.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just let my trail dogs surprise the hikers!
    Actually I use a bike bell. Ring it twice, if no response, shave and a haircut ringing. If that doesn't get a response I say' "hello!"
    agmtb

skilldest©
    When running / hiking the trails I always yield to mtn bikes. I can only imagine what would happen if a horn was used. Well, "HULK SMASH" comes to mind. It is interesting how different it is when you are not the one on the bike. Some riders cut it pretty darn close.

Meatbomb
    If I'm coming down hill I just ride my rear brake a bit.. You can hear that sucka for miles.

meow
    I use a bell which usually gets their attention directed my way. Most of the time they move off the trail without me having to say anything, and it gets comments like "I like the bell", and they thank me for using it! Of course there are always the haters but 90% of the hikers I ring at become mesmerized and are in my control. Bwahhhahahaha!!!

mtbr member
    I hit my bell several times, and yell out, "who wants ice cream"? Then when I pass, I say "just kidding, and a...thank you"!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    If I'm coming down hill I just ride my rear brake a bit.. You can hear that sucka for miles.
    Elixir brakes?

mtbr member
    I slow down if needed. With plenty of lead time I yell BIKER and then say "thank you" as I pass by, some times i say "have a great time" or "beautiful day". 99% of the time they get out of the way and are just happy for the advance warning.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I slow down and plan on stopping every time I come upon hikers or horses. I don't assume they'll understand "on your right", and I won't ride off trail to get around someone either. Both of those things are wrong, and the right thing to do is plan on stopping, unless they step off (after you alert them). A good "hello" or "hi" usually works fine. I let them make the next move (if any) as I slow down and come to a stop. If it's a hiker with earbuds that hasn't responded to reasonable attempts to alert them, they get a loud yell from behind, but that heart-attack is on them. I've never ridden in any place where I thought it was so important that I keep rolling though, if it's really that crowded I shouldn't be out there with the expectation of going fast or keeping my "flow".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast