Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kathleen in AZ

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! ALERT - New AZSF07 start times!

Arizona is under an abnormal heat wave for this time of year. Temps are forecast to be in the 90s in Phx and Tucson and in the high 80s in Sedona thru next weekend. This heat, especially this early in the year, catches many people off guard causing heat exhaustion, heat stroke, and at the worse, death. Yes, you could DIE out here!! As a result, we are going to have to start the Fling rides earlier than previously listed.

What each of you riders need to do is start drinking tons of water NOW. "Hydrate" is the word of the week, ok? I advise filling your 100oz bladder to the top and bringing a large water bottle with an electrolyte drink of some sort on each ride. If you only have a 70 oz bladder... go out this week and buy a 100 oz.

Here are my proposed changes to start times:

Wed Hawes: 8 AM ride departure
    Thurs La Milagrosa: Meet at LeBuzz at 9 AM... Phx shuttlers meet James and the short bus at 6:30
    Thurs AZ Trail: Meet in Vail at 9 AM
    Fri SoMo: Meet at 7 AM, last ride departure at 8 AM
    Sat Sedona A: still 9AM?? OTB crew will have to make the call as they are the leaders
    Sat Sedona B1: 8:30 AM ride departure
    Sat Sedona B2: 8:45 AM ride departure
    Sat Sedona B3 & C: 9:00 AM ride departure
    Sun Prescott rides: still meet at 10 AM (Prescott leaders, let me know if you want earlier times!)
    Sun Goat Camp: 8 AM ride departure
    Sun Phx Mtn Preserve (T100 etc): 8 AM ride departure

The biggest change is Friday at SoMo. Goal is to send off groups starting at 7:30AM with all rides out by 8AM. Be sure to set your alarm clocks and take TRAFFIC into account to arrive at the meeting area by 7AM!!!

I will be posting these changes on the AZSF07 sticky thread and also to the info list in the files section of the yahoogroups site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AZSF07
    Ride times also will be updated each day on the AZSF07 Hotline (480-461-5695). Call the night before for a reminder of when to meet and also to hear of any last minute changes.

-Kathleen

P.S. For next week, here are the www.intellicast.com forecast high/lows at each ride location:
    Wed in Phx: 92/63
    Thurs in Tucson: 91/52
    Friday in Phoenix: 96/66
    Saturday in Sedona: 85/51
    Sunday in Prescott: 78/40
    Sunday in Phoenix: 93/62

Last edited by DurtGurl; 03-12-2007 at 01:34 PM.

im4Gsus
    kathleen, is the C ride (bellrock loops) in sedona cancelled? you only mentioned the three Bs...
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    kathleen, is the C ride (bellrock loops) in sedona cancelled? you only mentioned the three Bs...
    Oops! C ride is still on at Sedona, scheduled for 9AM departure. I made the change above and will change in other locations too. Thanks for picking up on that mistake.

Kaboose - will you be up for leading a C ride from Dreamy Draw on Sunday now that we've moved the start times to accomodate the heat wave?

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Kaboose - will you be up for leading a C ride from Dreamy Draw on Sunday now that we've moved the start times to accomodate the heat wave?
    is it ok if i let you know after friday's somo ride?

for 6 weeks i've been under the weather, first with a sinus infection, then a cold and now allergies. i rode saturday for the first time in 3 weeks and had a hard time breathing. today i went out again and did a bit better. i'll keep on going out this week trying to gain strength for the weekend. i H8 being sick!

kaboose

I am Walt

Snakes on a plane...er, trail...!

Yes, it's getting hot and will be hotter this week.

Us locals felt the heat on a Saturday mid-day ride and it was noticeable. Hot!

We also saw the first rattlesnake of the season at McDowell Mountain Park - a "baby" greenish Diamondback. Jim, where are the pics?

So watch out for the heat AND the rattlesnakes, 'cause they're coming out!!!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Hey Walt, come out and do GC on Sunday.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    Hey Walt, come out and do GC on Sunday.
    He won't, and it ain't because of the heat. Make a deal with him. You and your posse go on one of his night climbs/beer fests up Sunrise and he does GC. He may bite.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Kathleeen, I don't see any compelling reason to make the 305 ride earlier, but could be easily persuaded by the masses.

After getting thrashed in Moab this weekend, I'm psyched for Sedona!

One of the top 5 pieces of gear on the planet right now is an MSR dromedary bag with hydration hose. 6 liters or more.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Kathleeen, I don't see any compelling reason to make the 305 ride earlier, but could be easily persuaded by the masses.

After getting thrashed in Moab this weekend, I'm psyched for Sedona!
    Since both Prescott leaders seem to be in agreement, I will keep the Prescott rides and the relaxed start time of 10AM.

One of the top 5 pieces of gear on the planet right now is an MSR dromedary bag with hydration hose. 6 liters or more.
    I have one of those big MSR bladders and hose for backpacking... perhaps I should pull it out for this weekend, but I'm not sure into what pack it would fit!

-Kathleeeeeen

mtbr member
    where is the prescott ride?icant ride but i may run some of it.

No, that's not phonetic
    Hmmmm... these two Alaskans (me 'n' Barny) have been riding in the midday heat the past few days without adverse side effects... effects.... effects....

See ya there...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    We also saw the first rattlesnake of the season at McDowell Mountain Park - a "baby" greenish Diamondback. Jim, where are the pics?

So watch out for the heat AND the rattlesnakes, 'cause they're coming out!!!
    yes, they're out. i almost ran over this 4 footer this morning. when i approached from behind to snap another shot it got cranky, coiled up and rattled loudly. i left it alone and went on my merry way!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    He won't, and it ain't because of the heat. Make a deal with him. You and your posse go on one of his night climbs/beer fests up Sunrise and he does GC. He may bite.
    We've been on a bunch of Walt rides

He owes us at least one

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Since both Prescott leaders seem to be in agreement, I will keep the Prescott rides and the relaxed start time of 10AM.
    Yeah, it's critical due to people that may be comming from Sedona or just for the fact that the last few days are starting to add up. Starting earlier causes more problems.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    We've been on a bunch of Walt rides

He owes us at least one
    Yes I do, but my youngest has her Age Group State swim meet this weekend, all day Friday through Sunday, prelims in the morning, finals in the evening. So I'm out of any scheduled rides and will be catching whatever I can.

I may try to make the Weds. 8 am Hawes ride, and perhaps part of the Sunday T100 ride, depending on the meet schedule. TBD...
    Ride more; post less...

Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    where is the prescott ride?icant ride but i may run some of it.
    Dan, I'm leading a 305-moto trail ride, Jayem's leading a Granite Basin buffet. I think I guessed wisely, given the heat.

mtbr member
    Dan, I'm leading a 305-moto trail ride, Jayem's leading a Granite Basin buffet. I think I guessed wisely, given the heat.
    well due to some pretty bad hand problems i havent been on the bike in 3 weeks and
    most likely wont be able to ride for a long time or until enel takes the knife to me.
    so hope you all have a good time and maybe ill go run some the rides .anyway
    BEWARE THE RIGID ! after 7 years rigid the hands gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    BEWARE THE RIGID ! after 7 years rigid the hands gave up.

Will do. I haven't yet had hand problems..... but I'll remember this.

Good luck with recovery.

mtbr member
    Alright half of JRA are hitten up millie on thursday and GC on sunday. Hope to meet some of ya there. It would be nice to throw in some greenie and bugs in on the millie ride but oh well maybe in a few weeks . Later.
    JRA

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Alright half of JRA are hitten up millie on thursday and GC on sunday. Hope to meet some of ya there. It would be nice to throw in some greenie and bugs in on the millie ride but oh well maybe in a few weeks . Later.
    Great! Do any of you guys want to pick up the shuttle in Phx or will you be picking the shuttle up at Le Buzz in Tucson? There's plenty of room fo the ride from Phx - leave your vehicles and hop on the bus!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Where is the 305-Moto ride meeting up at and what time? Sorry if I missed that but I'm getting ready for work and need to head out the door.
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Hi kathleen. 1 might pickup the bus in PHX. I'm heading down today and 2 others are heading down tomorrow with are cars. As I recall from last year there was no room on the bus to the top from lebuzz so we have a ride to the top. Its going to be a nice day for a ride. Hawes today, have fun. later.
    JRA

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    Where is the 305-Moto ride meeting up at and what time? Sorry if I missed that but I'm getting ready for work and need to head out the door.
    Costco. Check the details here.

Thanks Mike. Meet in the "back" lot of China Buffet. I'll be early and park my white truck in an obvious spot. I'll have maps (driving and riding) to hand out at the Sedona party Sat, also.

Lots of shade in the trees, guaranteed to be the "coolest" ride of the Fling.