Thread: After the rain

How much further ???

After the rain

Hawes was hit pretty hard after the rain we got the past few weeks as Im sure most trails have. I went out for a ride this morning and things were looking surprisingly well. Most of things were getting back to normal and there are a few new lines getting worked in nicely. The only exception is Mine Trail.

The worst spot is below the left switchback at the vertical mineshaft. It is a rutted mess. Very sketchy with loose rock and a rut about 6 inches deep in spots. Id be willing to do some work on the section but wanted to get some input. What is the best technique to aid in the repair of a section like this? Should it even be repaired at all? I drew a crude cross section of the trail below with the rectangle representing a tire. As you can see there isnt much room and if you arent already in the rut you will be, like it or not. Let me know your thoughts? W is the width of the original trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    is this a top view of the trail?? im confused.
    i was out 2 days ago and it was frustrating having to HAB in some areas i could previously do in my sleep (or after dark when i start my rides too late)

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    is this a top view of the trail?? im confused.
    i was out 2 days ago and it was frustrating having to HAB in some areas i could previously do in my sleep (or after dark when i start my rides too late)
    cross section . the tire is in the rut. Does this help?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    got it,, but you're gonna get hurt if you're not holding onto the handlebars like that.
    didn't we learn anything from pee-wee's big adventure?

though i must admit that's a mighty fine etch-a-sketch cactus...

mtbr member
    I rode Deems in north Phoenix yesterday and the rain has definatly changed it up. Most of the middle parts of the trails are washed away due to the rain flowing downhill, but it makes the trail a little more technical and it still was a blast.

How much further ???
    Yeah I have some mad MS paint skills. Look out.

mtbr member
    Just don't fix the sandy washes. They're a great workout and remind me of riding Palos in the snow.

My other ride is your mom
    Leave it alone...it'll heal....trust me.

As for the washes.....I said it back then and I'll say it now, the @$$ clown who dug out the wash crossings past the primary caliche layer (this happened a few seasons ago) and packed in what they thought was a nice packed bit of singletrack obviously did not know the difference betweeen chicken-$h!t and chicken salad.

That person/persons single-handily ruined some of the wash crossings by removing top cover and exposed naturally cemented soft-sediment and exposing it to further erosion during high-flood events. I just have to pedal harder now....I guess not a bad development either if we all did the same too instead of the clownshoes-mofo who created a STUPID spider trail to cut out the wash........!!!!!!!

HAB for 100 yards is nothing....it's good cross training....people pay good money to get yelled at in cross fit to essentially do the same as dragging your bike through a wash....be thankful and HTFU and HAB your bike and smile!!!

That is all.....grump out!!!
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 09-14-2012 at 09:13 PM.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    They're a great workout and remind me of riding Palos in the snow.
    F-that,,, i did that once and it sucked

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Leave it alone...it'll heal....trust me......grump out!!!
    I concur,

It doesn't take many bikes to knock the edges off and recreate a nice line..trail work not needed...think of it as a temporary skills building section..

I noticed on the left side of your trail rendition that there appears to be a wheel attached to a fork? I was curious how you managed to catch all that detail while performing a "superman no-hander rut railer". No skills clinic necessary for you..
    Check my pulse...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Fixed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The most important question: is that a 29er? If so, it'll just roll over those ruts in its sleep. That's the rumor, anyway....

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    is your drawing referring to one of these buggers?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

#3 could lead to a superserious FUP if you dont get on the inside of the trail soon enough.

mtbr member

Man, this is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Fixed.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Deems got creamed, all right. Twice, from what I can tell. All new lines and skills. Love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    is your drawing referring to one of these buggers?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

#3 could lead to a superserious FUP if you dont get on the inside of the trail soon enough.
    That looks fun! Thanks for the pics, I'm hitting it tomorrow..
    Check my pulse...

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i only rode it clockwise,, if you're doing it tomorrow i would ride up CW first so you know where all the new bad spots are... a lot easier to take evasive action on a climb

How much further ???
    Pic #2 and #3 are more of the ones Ive had in mind. Sounds like the consensus is is to leave it alone.