Ahhh the pain....

AES Withdrawl Cured....

After Casner, I was jonesing for a long 5+ hour ride where my legs resembled well cooked pasta by the end...A beautiful day in Northern AZ was the perfect ingredient for a ride that I've been thinking about for a while...
    Started at the bottom of Schultz Creek at about 7AM and slowly warmed up as I made my way to Schultz pass. Found the new AZT there and after a staredown with a deer, continued west on the new AZT sections. Super nice and flowy stuff then it all ended somewhat abruptly just before Snowbowl road. Jumped on the road and went up to Aspen corner where I grabbed the AZT again. Headed North, past the Bizmark lake turnoff(stayed right). WOW, I'd never rode that section...absolutely amazing. Went right on FR 418 then picked up the peaks moto trail...jebus...epic HAB on the north side of that. Finally, the trail smoothed out and headed back south...back up the gentle switchbacks of the AZT...almost didn't even feel like I was climbing. Back to Aspen corner and then down Snow Bowl road and back to the start...wow, what a great ride, 49 miles total. Some pics....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AES Withdrawl Cured....-image001.jpg  

AES Withdrawl Cured....-image003.jpg  

AES Withdrawl Cured....-image004.jpg  

AES Withdrawl Cured....-image005.jpg  

AES Withdrawl Cured....-image007.jpg  

AES Withdrawl Cured....-image008.jpg  

AES Withdrawl Cured....-image010.jpg  

AES Withdrawl Cured....-image012.jpg  

Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Very nice. I rode a part of that west of Snowbowl last year, through the Aspens, but didn't get much further. My other riders (wife and son) were whipped and didn't want to continue on. It's definitely on my list of things to do this summer, on a day that they are busy.

mtbr member
    Wow, looks nice. Good change of pace from the Phoenix area pictures.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

Give it a crank
    Cool ride & pics!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Some one? Not naming names(Ray) has either to much free time or just the right amount of dedication to long endurance SS rides. Good job Ray. I hope to get up there and join you for a small epic soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice ride bro. I love the Aspens...

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Oh, man, you've got the medicine that I need! I tried in vain to burn my legs out on DC about three weeks back, but after 28 miles I just headed home. Not quite enough vertical feet or quit in my legs to scratch that itch. Lately its just been 10-15 miles jaunts to stay fresh. Hard to crank out the 8-10 hours rides in the low desert with the temps coming on fast. I really need to get up north and get some of what you got! Is it too much to ask for a little gps, if you have it? I've heard the AZT up there is pretty darn nice. All I know of Flag is Elden, really. Sweet pics too. Its just so rare that I get to ride in trees. Thanks!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.