Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DFL>DNF>DNS

New question here. AES: Picketpost Results posted!!

We're coming up on two weeks until this event. There seems to be a good deal of interest in this one, so which route are you doing? I'll be lining up for the Pulverizer (81) at 5am to see if I can make it through.

I'm still on the fence re: camping out, probably leaning that way, but I only live 45 mins from the trailhead. Hmmm.

Depending on my finishing time, I may be camping out after the race!!

Speaking of after the race, don't forget your camping chairs, food, beverages of choice. Hang out, stay a while and root on the other finishers.

I'll have a sign-in sheet for both routes, please sign in, then put down your finishing time when complete. Hopefully not too many DNF's!!

Don't forget there will be a roughly 2 mile neutral rollout on singletrack heading north out of the parking lot to an open area where the riders will re-group. Timer will start there, so take note. **There are rancher gates along the route, if you can't see a rider behind you, please close the gate**

Good luck out there, ride strong, be safe & have fun!!
    Last edited by schillingsworth; 11-05-2013 at 11:45 AM.
    I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    We're coming up on two weeks until this event. There seems to be a good deal of interest in this one, so which route are you doing? I'll be lining up for the Pulverizer (81) at 5am to see if I can make it through.

I'm still on the fence re: camping out, probably leaning that way, but I only live 45 mins from the trailhead. Hmmm.

Depending on my finishing time, I may be camping out after the race!!

Speaking of after the race, don't forget your camping chairs, food, beverages of choice. Hang out, stay a while and root on the other finishers.

I'll have a sign-in sheet for both routes, please sign in, then put down your finishing time when complete. Hopefully not too many DNF's!!

Don't forget there will be a roughly 2 mile neutral rollout on singletrack heading north out of the parking lot to an open area where the riders will re-group. Timer will start there, so take note. **There are rancher gates along the route, if you can't see a rider behind you, please close the gate**

Good luck out there, ride strong, be safe & have fun!!
    In for (and dreading some of) the 81. Doubt I'm hanging out after, after that long of a day I'll probably be on the Hemmele stagger-to-your-vehicle-and-pass-out recovery system.

How much further ???
    I'm in for the 50. I plan to stay for some post ride fun. Beer for sure and not sure if my family is going to come (wife said she is going to make a crock pot meal if she does) or if I bring a small grill. If I bring the grill I will let everyone know and you all can feel free to use it. Looking forward to the ride and getting Punished.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I am in for the Punisher. It has been fun training for the longer distances. Big thanks to everyone that has created the series and makes this happen.

Definetely in for a few beers and what not after the race.

How much further ???
    Couldn't agree more. I've learned so much about myself, nutrition, logistics etc etc its been a lot of fun. I hope it can all come together. Its also been a good excuse for getting some bike stuff. This is my maintenance week, new shifter cables, brake pads, fork oil change etc. Should be good to go come race day.

And a big thanks to everyone for putting up with all my questions especially John. Whether you know it or not you have been a mentor for me throughout out this process, so Thanks again.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member

Re: AES: Picketpost Rollcall!! 50 or 81?? Who's IN?

I'm on board for the 50. Probably stay a bit after too.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I know I'm going to catch hell for this, but I'm doing the 50.
    After doing that recon ride it is clear that I'm not where I need to be in order to survive the 81. Committing to 18 or more hours takes a certain mindset that I just don't have this early in the season.

Much respect to those who even attempt it.

mtbr member
    I'm in for the 50! I may stay a little after depending on my finish time. It looks like I only have 2 weeks to train though... GAAAAH!!!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Arturo, it looks like you're off the hook for hosting duties since Jeff will be there!!!

Jeff, I thought we were going to be back of the bus partners for this one!! Thanks a lot, that almost guarantees a DFL finish for me. I can't keep up with Steve unless I sabotage his bike or swap out a burrito I've had on my counter for a couple of days.
    My Two Schillingsworth

yeah, sorry about that. I'm just not mentally ready for an 18+ hour bus ride. And you know that the mental part is huge in something like this.

My other ride is your mom
    I may crash the 50, I may have bikepack bags on, I may have party favors...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    In for the 50. You guys are scaring me with the packing gear talk. Are we talking a longer ride on this than the prescott monstercross?

mtbr member
    In for the 50. I'm very much itchin' to see the river, but a 2-day bikepacking trip just feels like a more appropriate way to accomplish that.

Ahhh the pain....
    Stagger Mr. G? I was staggering with "style"! Yeah! This one will hurt but hopefully the final downhill will mean no staggering; just coasting!
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Lakvoodoo
    I'm in...status of knee rehab will determine the distance. I will try my darndest to come in within 10 hours of Raybum.
    Get Outside!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Stagger Mr. G? I was staggering with "style"! Yeah! This one will hurt but hopefully the final downhill will mean no staggering; just coasting!
    seeing as how there's at least one picture of you on the interwebs with a popped collar, maybe I meant swagger? I'm patiently awaiting MC Hemmele's cell phone shot music video "(I got that) SS Swagger"

mtbr member
    Not me, although I had hoped to make it. between weddings and kid stuff my weekends are filled up. I hope to ride the route solo some time this winter. Looking forward to hearing your reports!

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    seeing as how there's at least one picture of you on the interwebs with a popped collar, maybe I meant swagger? I'm patiently awaiting MC Hemmele's cell phone shot music video "(I got that) SS Swagger"
    I'm considering rolling the 81 with a popped collar and maybe a velvet robe.
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Got a suspension fork
    In for da fity.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Lakvoodoo

Cool-blue Rhythm

Count me out. Knee says no effing way.
    But... hope you guys have tons of good ol sufferin' fun. (And Raybum...don't let the catclaw catch on your robe!
    Get Outside!

AES Stickers

If you do come out, bring a buck and get, not one, but two AES stickers. Be the coolest kid on your block

AES: Picketpost Rollcall!! 50 or 81?? Who's IN?-img_0385.jpg

If you can't make it to the race, you can always send a SASE to:
    Chad Brown
    15185 N Triple Crown Pl
    Tucson, AZ 85739

More info here:
    azenduranceseries

mtbr member
    When strategically used they can completely replace your patch kit, eliminate cable rub, or cover unsightly holes in your clothing caused by catclaw. Wowie zowie!

Ahhh the pain....
    Im gonna use them to keep my collar from popping.
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Im gonna use them to keep my collar from popping.
    I'm going to use them as brake pads.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Happy Trails
    Trying not to newb-out too hard, but can someone talk about water on the 50? Map looks like the track crosses the highway so maybe it's a figure 8? Or not? Is there Any way to resupply and water-up mid-race on the 50 is the whole race on one pack?

Thanks.

How much further ???
    There is water resupply options in the town of Superior. About mile 36 or so.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Trying not to newb-out too hard, but can someone talk about water on the 50? Map looks like the track crosses the highway so maybe it's a figure 8? Or not? Is there Any way to resupply and water-up mid-race on the 50 is the whole race on one pack?

Thanks.
    There's water available around mile 38 in Superior. The upper portion does cross over itself a couple of times before heading east towards Superior.
    My Two Schillingsworth

The only places you'll find water are Superior and the Gila (for the brave souls doing the big loop).

The trail does cross a couple of times. Look at it in Topofusion or some other gps program to see how it goes.

mtbr member
    I think you hit Superior mile 35 or so

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Out of curiousity, how many people have registered so far, and how many total do you expect for each distance?

I wish there was a way to make some stupid beer bets. This is my first event, so I am not sure. Any ideas?

How much further ???
    I bet that I will drink beer if I finish or not.

Ahhh the pain....
    There are about 40 people signed up. 39 doing the short course and only steveland doing the long one.
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Alright, lets try some bracket racing. You post up what you think your finishing time will be. Closest to your time plus or minus gets a 40 of Mickeys, or a 12 oz IPA on me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    Alright, lets try some bracket racing. You post up what you think your finishing time will be. Closest to your time plus or minus gets a 40 of Mickeys, or a 12 oz IPA on me.
    I like the bet but not the prize, there will be plenty of beer.
    How about those that want to play, pitch in few dollars and winner gets an AES jersey paid for. Predict your time but you have to finish in the top five or so, otherwise people can just drag out their times to fit their prediction.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Sounds cool for someone that can run in the top 5. How about the rest of us. The beer bet is nice because it is not enough for folks to sand bag thier time. It is not really about the prize, just fun.

mtbr member
    BTW, I don't know if I can even finish a 40 anymore, back in the day two Mickeys, King Cobra, Old Milwaukee, Colt... got me going, now I would probably pass out 20 oz in to it.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I don't really know if one wants to finish a Mickey's 40. It is more for street cred and attitude when you roll with a Mickeys. I like to make bets with them as it is absurd, and brings you back to college days when it was a good option.

I am doing the race with Douger. I am thinking we will do it in 8:05. That is a stretch on training pace, but I think race day will cut an hour off. I need to get his buy in on the time too. maybe I can win my own beer?

How much further ???
    Is it bad luck to predict a time?

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Seriuosly? What else might be bad luck?

We riding mountain bike or playing baseball?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Time goals can be fun, but don't let it rule the day. Stay on route, cross the finish line and crack that beer....you earned it. I have no idea how long the 81 route will take. I'll be curious to see if my car is the last one there when I roll in!! The more I think about the route, the faster I get in my mind!! 14-17 hrs??

First things first, I need to have a functioning bike!! Picked up parts/supplies y'day, just need some time to work on the bike.
    My Two Schillingsworth

parenting for gnarness
    In for (and dreading some of) the 81. Doubt I'm hanging out after, after that long of a day I'll probably be on the Hemmele stagger-to-your-vehicle-and-pass-out recovery system.
    that's his post-strip club walk.
    I got kids soccer on Sat, but will be riding on Sunday. Would greatly appreciate if all of you clear out the catclaw on my behalf.
    Have a good ride everyone and be safe.

How much further ???
    We will see what the trail gods think of your arrogance.

Of course I'm kidding. 8:50

[Edit] With power dabs. 8:41
    Last edited by Douger-1; 10-29-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Ahhh the pain....
    13 hours for the 81. Barring tire issues, mtn lion attacks, and mental breakdowns.
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

mtbr member

Not interested in the prize but looking at 9.5 to 10 hrs on the 50.

Tucson, AZ
    Short Course!

mtbr member
    I signed up for the short course. Not sure on time, hopefully by the time the long course people (person?) are done

I'm doing the 50 and am bringing lights. Goal is to finish before Ray finishes the 81. And that's a stretch goal.

Will be bringing some refreshments and probably snacks for all - from AES jersey sales.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    I'm doing the 50 and am bringing lights. Goal is to finish before Ray finishes the 81. And that's a stretch goal.

Will be bringing some refreshments and probably snacks for all - from AES jersey sales.
    Yeah I'm feeling like back of the bus material. For various reasons I've been off my MTB and doing almost entirely road rides the past month - went out this morning for a quick ride and felt totally off my game.

My other ride is your mom
    I cannot be there this weekend.....I have a date with Two Guys & a Truck.

How much further ???
    I have a ton of individual bags of assorted potato chips left over from an HOA block party that I can bring. I figure the salt might be a welcome post ride treat for everyone.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Jeff, since you're not tagging along at the back of the 81 bus you will be required to hang around until I finish!! Make yourself comfortable. I am leaving the camera behind, that should help 'speed' things up a bit.

Good call on the salty snacks Doug!

83º/60º for the Superior forecast on Sat. A tad warmer than I'd prefer, but plenty doable.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Jeff, since you're not tagging along at the back of the 81 bus you will be required to hang around until I finish!! Make yourself comfortable. I am leaving the camera behind, that should help 'speed' things up a bit.

Good call on the salty snacks Doug!

83º/60º for the Superior forecast on Sat. A tad warmer than I'd prefer, but plenty doable.
    I'll have to see how late I can stay up. You are bringing extra brake pads - right?

How much further ???

Yeah a week ago I was looking at the extended forecast and they were calling for temps in the mid to low 70's. I was super excited but oh well. At least the big climb should be mostly in the 60's/70's. I wasn't sure I wanted to lug around 2 100oz bladders but I think that decision has been confirmed by the temp.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    I'll have to see how late I can stay up. You are bringing extra brake pads - right?
    I forgot, your bedtime is shortly after the sun goes down these days, right?

I'm rolling the dice here, no extra pads - both sets are new, what could happen??

Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Yeah a week ago I was looking at the extended forecast and they were calling for temps in the mid to low 70's. I was super excited but oh well. At least the big climb should be mostly in the 60's/70's. I wasn't sure I wanted to lug around 2 100oz bladders but I think that decision has been confirmed by the temp.
    You're really taking 200oz?? I guess I'm not much lighter, just divided up: 100oz of H2O + 16oz bottle of CarboRocket + 20oz gatorade + 12oz Nutrition shake and finally a 2oz shot of tequila before starting up the Gila climb!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

How much further ???
    You're really taking 200oz?? I guess I'm not much lighter, just divided up: 100oz of H2O + 16oz bottle of CarboRocket + 20oz gatorade + 12oz Nutrition shake and finally a 2oz shot of tequila before starting up the Gila climb!!
    I dont want too but I tend to suck water down when it gets warmer out. I figure its better to bring more and not have to worry about running out then to not have enough. I am concerned about the weight.

However I did do my training with a 100oz bladder and two 22oz water bottles in the camelbak. Two 100oz bladders is only an additional 56oz over what Im used too.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    100oz of H2O + 16oz bottle of CarboRocket + 20oz gatorade + 12oz Nutrition shake and finally a 2oz shot of tequila before starting up the Gila climb!!
    What is yoru review on CarboRocket. I heard good things a while back. Also, how do you feel about caffine for distance rides? I have backed a bottle full of watered down coffee the last two long rides and have felt great.

I like the Tequila for style points. I will wait for mine.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    What is yoru review on CarboRocket. I heard good things a while back. Also, how do you feel about caffine for distance rides? I have backed a bottle full of watered down coffee the last two long rides and have felt great.

I like the Tequila for style points. I will wait for mine.
    Did you get your rear brake fixed? Might effect your power dabbing if not.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I really like CarboRocket, it's liquid calories. I currently have a non-caffeinated version, but have some other caffeine sources (gels, chews). I could go either way on the caffeine though, for me it's the calories.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member

I'm rolling the dice here, no extra pads - both sets are new, what could happen??

Ditch everything besides the tequila and CR. Your new nutrition plan is Carboritas

mtbr member
    I really like CarboRocket, it's liquid calories. I currently have a non-caffeinated version, but have some other caffeine sources (gels, chews). I could go either way on the caffeine though, for me it's the calories.
    +1 for CR. I've had good no cramps or GI issues with the standard version or the half-evil. The big test was TOWM. Rode the 50 with 60oz of CR and nothing else.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it

Well, my bike won't be on course, so you shouldn't have any problems! Maybe I'll leave it broken until Sunday just to ensure a mechanical free day for you. Wait....it's my bike that always breaks - pads are a maintenance issue! Go get'm killa!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

I dont want too but I tend to suck water down when it gets warmer out. I figure its better to bring more and not have to worry about running out then to not have enough. I am concerned about the weight.

However I did do my training with a 100oz bladder and two 22oz water bottles in the camelbak. Two 100oz bladders is only an additional 56oz over what Im used too.
    I'm the same way. Almost all AES rides I took 200oz and it didn't bother me much. Besides, the more you ride and the more tired you get, the lighter the load gets. Then again, I was DFL in every event I attended, but alive!

Ahhh the pain....
    I learned from young Mark that the only way to do carborocket was to snort lines of it. I usually cut it with a few pixie sticks for added sugar. I found that my signaling mirror doubles as a surface to cut the lines.
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

How much further ???
    Just did a trial run of packing up the camelbak with 200 oz and all the food, repair kit, pump etc. 20 lbs. Ouch......

mtbr member
    It looks like I'm out. I have to work tomorrow and probably won't get my act together to make it down.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Did you get your rear brake fixed? Might effect your power dabbing if not.
    I got the brakes flushed/bled at Rage. I should be able to lay down wicked power dabs with a skid option in needed. Should also inspire quick DH speed so I can keep you in eye sight for at least 15 seconds.

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting those of you I don't know.

How much further ???
    Well I think the only real downhill section with any flow and chance of speed is the last 6 miles. Looking at the course in google earth I think the drop off of Montana Mtn will give you a fantastic chance to perfect your power dabs. Looks like 28 switchbacks in 2 miles. Glad I put in new brake pads this week.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    The last couple of miles before the L.O.S.T. is bomber. I only recall 2 or 3 of those switchbacks being sketchy, they're a bit tight, but not crazy sharp turns.
    My Two Schillingsworth

+1 for CR. I've had good no cramps or GI issues with the standard version or the half-evil. The big test was TOWM. Rode the 50 with 60oz of CR and nothing else.
    +1 on the Half Evil, WITH caffeine. Only bad thing is it tastes nasty when it gets really hot.

I learned from young Mark that the only way to do carborocket was to snort lines of it. I usually cut it with a few pixie sticks for added sugar. I found that my signaling mirror doubles as a surface to cut the lines.
    well, crap. I've been doing it wrong. Will try this tomorrow.

DFL>DNF>DNS

SPOT tracker

If you want to follow my snails pace tomorrow or give search and rescue a more detailed description of my location, here's my SPOT tracker for the race. Should go LIVE around 5am, g'night!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Man, that spot is really making the rounds! It's seen more of Arizona than I have now I think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Congrats to all of those that finished this brutal course.

Douger, did you and your buddy Shaun finish?

How much further ???
    agreed. Congrats to all who even attempted it. It wasnt easy and it was great to meet so many of you. Yes we both did finish!!! Not sure how. I had brutal leg cramps for the last 25 miles but thanks to Shawn and Alexis who we met on the ride (she is a Geologist so we both learned so much about the Picketpost area) I made it to the finish. Around 10 hours or so. Not sure what the official time was.

Im pooped, and sore as shit. Im off to bed.

Here is my GPX

Last edited by Douger-1; 11-03-2013 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Holy shit was that ride brutal and I pre-rode at least 2/3 of it in the summer! All I wanted to do was finish the 50 (this was my first AES ride). I managed to roll towards the lower loop just as the sun was going down and the climb up Telegraph Canyon in the dark was just... I don't even know what to say. All I know is that I wanted to kill people and throw my bike most of the way up that ridiculous HAB/shitfest. I was so happy to get to the top and make the turn onto the AZT. When I saw Ray's headlamp off in the distance, I felt relieved that I wasn't the only one out there in complete darkness. In the end, I crossed that damn finish line like I wanted to... DFL!

Ahhh the pain....
    The story of my day....
    One Gear Ray: Pulverization Complete
    Congrats to the finishers and to the "no longer virgins" of AES rides. Hopefully y'all will be back for more!
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Got a suspension fork
    agreed. Congrats to all who even attempted it. It wasnt easy and it was great to meet so many of you. Yes we both did finish!!! Not sure how. I had brutal leg cramps for the last 25 miles but thanks to Shawn and Alexis who we met on the ride (she is a Geologist so we both learned so much about the Picketpost area) I made it to the finish. Around 10 hours or so. Not sure what the official time was.

Im pooped, and sore as shit. Im off to bed.

Here is my GPX
    Well done!

Got a suspension fork
    What a great day on the bike. I took my own pace - which was also Derek's pace and we rode together the whole day. Man was the AZT some tough stuff but I was enjoying the heck out of it. By the time we rolled into Superior we both wanted ice cold water so went to the Circle K and iced up and bought cold water. Ate, etc... Took probably longer than we should have but man it was rejuvenating, while tired I felt terrific the last 14 miles of the ride.

Not saying I'd want to do this sort of ride too often, but it's good for the soul.

Strava

AES: Picketpost Rollcall!! 50 or 81?? Who's IN?-screen-shot-2013-11-03-11.15.37-am.jpg

So, yeah, you newbies picked a doozy of an AES race to start with. This one lived up to its name. All who attempted are to be congratulated for their efforts. Those who finished just didn't have the sense to quit.

On the 81 mile loop only 3 of 6 who started actually finished. Hunter, Neil, and Ray are seriously strong endurance riders - kudos to them.

The next two AES races will be considerably less punishing, so I hope people will come out and give them a try. If you've never done and AES race, these are pretty good ones to start with.
    Arizona Endurance Series | Our mission is simple: to inspire people to ride. We promote grassroots, endurance races throughout the state of Arizona.

Kentucky Camp is a good ride with a great after party - especially if you hang around and camp afterward.

McDowell will have a brand new course this year due to the drama in Hidden Hills. It will be more miles, but less climbing. We'll be rolling over to the new Brown's Ranch area in addition to some of the usual stuff in the McDowells and MMP. Again, we'll be occupying the parking lot afterward for refreshments and stories.

Looking forward to seeing everyone back out there.

mtbr member
    I was one of those newbies yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't finish, had a little wreck coming down the AZT downhill portion and messed my knee up so that sealed the deal for me. My friend who talked me into it and I decided to just connect back to the jeep road and go back along the start route.

It was nice to meet everyone and I do hope to give the McDowell ride a try. I still had fun, just need to train a little more.

mtbr member

Had a great time even if I was on my own most of the day. The scenery was epic and the treats and company at the end were great and much appreciated. I don't know when my schedule will allow another one but I'll be back for more and maybe next time I'll finish before dark, not that there's anything wrong with night riding mind you.

How much further ???
    I plan to be back for sure. Im hooked.

Sounds like it was a great time out there! Pretty bummed I missed out. An AES ride this year would have been a treat, but I had to go make some fat stacks on a side job. I plan to make more than zero AES rides next year, which is my count for this year! Big kudos to all the first-timers and finishers. The AES is great! I love hearing all the stories.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I think i just went thru an AES DNF withdrawal or denial phase. First 8 hours i spent hating the course and promising myself i would never do another AES race again. Next morning I woke up reflecting on where i went wrong and how i could have finished and then last night I dreamt about riding that course again.

Ahhh the pain....
    I've been riding these AES events for about 3 years now and can honestly say that the PPP is right up there with the toughest events of the series. The rough and rubly nature of that course is typical of the Arizona Trail. No miles are easy and the environment is out to get you. But, I can say that it has made me a better rider.
    What I've come to love(and hate) about this race series is that it's not just fitness that wins them; it's the whole package of fitness, bike handling skills, fueling, bike fix-it skills, mental toughness, and of course luck. Many times, you can have everything dialed in perfectly except the very last one...and unfortunately that's the one uncontrollable variable that hands you a DNF.
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Just remember: DNF>DNS.

The cycle you just went through is pretty common. I've done it many times and always end up trying again. There is just something addictive about pushing your limits - especially when you break through where you thought they were.

You'll be back.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Spot on Ray, I too am about 3 years into the madness and like Sean stated above you begin to question why you ride some of these courses. Swear them off, then find yourself back at the start line to either finish what you started or to beat a previous time.

I was having a real tough time especially early on, both physically & mentally. I just wasn't getting into it. I almost pulled the plug before the sun came up, but I'm glad I took my handlebars advice. HTFU and at least finish the 50.

There were some super strong riders out there, blazing fast times on that course. I still can't quite wrap my head around Hunter's 12:02 for the full 81. Full results should be posted today.

Thanks again to all who came out for this one. As usual it was fun hanging around cheering the finishers in & hearing their stories.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My problem this time around was that my camelback sprung a leak as i was coming down Montana mountain and i panic'd not thinking straight and lost about 3/4 of the water. So i had to rely on 2 24 oz bottles of water until superior from the bottom of the mountain thru that washy area. I didnt see anyone for about 30-45 minutes, and my mind started to get the best of me, especially when Jeff and 2 other riders passed me being all Jolly like they were having the best time of their lives. Thats when i started to bonk and decided it was best i take the road back to the trailhead.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I didn't take many pics, only 3 during the ride.

Sunrise over Picketpost somewhere near the top of the switchback climb of Montana Mtn, just missed a spectacular shooting star.

Finally at the AZT turnoff, top of Montana Mtn, Superstitions in the background.

As if my bike wasn't hard enough to pedal through Telegraph Canyon!! I still have no idea where I went through that stuff.

Golden hour on Picketpost

Post-ride festivities

Randy & Derek at the finish
    My Two Schillingsworth

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    My problem this time around was that my camelback sprung a leak as i was coming down Montana mountain and i panic'd not thinking straight and lost about 3/4 of the water. So i had to rely on 2 24 oz bottles of water until superior from the bottom of the mountain thru that washy area. I didnt see anyone for about 30-45 minutes, and my mind started to get the best of me, especially when Jeff and 2 other riders passed me being all Jolly like they were having the best time of their lives. Thats when i started to bonk and decided it was best i take the road back to the trailhead.
    Bummer. Sounds like you made the right call though. I ended up drinking 200oz from the beginning to mile 36 (refill at med clinic) so I would have been a DNF for sure.

Im still really baffled by my cramping. It was really bad at times and I seriously questioned if I could finish even though I felt great otherwise. Mentally and energy wise I felt great but my legs were failing me, and bad. At times my quad would start to cramp so as I got off the bike my other quad would cramp. As I was reaching down to grab my leg to stretch my quad my hamstring would cramp at the same time. I had no choice but to try and just stand there while it felt like every muscle was cramping at the same time. At one point my calves started cramping as well as my left hand. WTF???

This isn't the first time and I thought a big part of my past issues was I wasn't hydrating enough in the days prior to my ride. In this case I started ramping up my hydration on Wednesday through and up to right before race time. I took the max recommended number of Hammer anti fatigue pills, and endurolytes prior to and during the race. During the race I had 1 serving (2 scoops) of Perpetuem per hour, 1 serving of Hammer gel per hour, and 1 serving of Clif Shot Blok per hour. Even had some of the Margarita flavor shot bloks with the cramp busting 3x salt.

It made no difference as it seems hour 4 is my cramping window and sure enough on Saturday right on time it hit and continued for the next 5 hours.

Interestingly enough as I approached the finish line 2 miles out, I was really hurting and exhausted from the 5 hours of cramping so I decided to take 5 more endurolytes capsules after just taking 3 about 45 min ago. Recommended serving is 1-3 per hour as needed. So thats 8 within an hour and I tell you what my cramps went away almost immediately.

Now I think Ive heard that too many electrolytes can put strain on your kidney's, I believe, but can it be that I just need that much? I was in a way almost pissed that I just suffered through 5 hours of cramping if all I had to do was triple my dosage but it was too late to think about that. I really need to figure this out. I will tell you that the next day all I could think of was riding the PPP50 again without cramping for half of it.

Got a suspension fork
    I ended up drinking 200oz from the beginning to mile 36 (refill at med clinic) so I would have been a DNF for sure.
    Wow, I thought I drank a lot! I drank 140 ounces from the start to Superior, probably drank 48 to 60 ounces at the Circle K while eating, then drank roughly another 80 oz on the rest of the ride.

Im still really baffled by my cramping.
    I tend to cramp not from hydration issues, but from mega output on the bike. When I am giving all I can for a long enough period, I'll cramp no matter how much water or electrolytes I've taken.

How much further ???
    The thing is I really was making an effort to not push it, really trying to stay at a nice pace. I would walk stuff I could have ridden just to conserve as much energy as possible.

Oh and I drank another 100oz on the bottom half so right around 300oz for the day. Does drinking too much water dilute your bodies electrolytes? Maybe that is part of it?

mtbr member
    The thing is I really was making an effort to not push it, really trying to stay at a nice pace. I would walk stuff I could have ridden just to conserve as much energy as possible.

Oh and I drank another 100oz on the bottom half so right around 300oz for the day. Does drinking too much water dilute your bodies electrolytes? Maybe that is part of it?
    It will definitely wash out potassium and sodium. Some people that have leg cramps benefit from magnesium and calcium supplements and a few bananas a day. starting well ahead of the race. I think the Mag and Calc aid in the absorption. A lot of people also instead of straight water drink 1/4 strength Cytomax or something similar.

It's a tough nut to crack considering you have to do a 5 hour ride to see if something works or fails miserably.

Great Job Doug!

How much further ???
    Hey thanks. Ive done a little more reading this morning and it seems like there can be any number or combinations of things that can cause them. One in particular (muscle fatigue) is the one Im thinking is making the most sense since I know I wasn't overly dehydrated to electrolyte deficient. My guess is, since I've only been at this type of riding for 3 months my muscles just aren't up to the task, especially for something as demanding as the PP course.

I'm thinking of doing the Kentucky Camp ride (although its showing full) because it has no where near the vertical, just to see how that goes by comparison. I think I'm becoming obsessed. Focusing on work this morning has been difficult to say the least.

mtbr member
    Is the McDowell aes race full yet?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    Is the McDowell aes race full yet?
    Registration is not open yet, one month prior. (Nov. 15th)
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    Holy shit was that ride brutal and I pre-rode at least 2/3 of it in the summer! All I wanted to do was finish the 50 (this was my first AES ride). I managed to roll towards the lower loop just as the sun was going down and the climb up Telegraph Canyon in the dark was just... I don't even know what to say. All I know is that I wanted to kill people and throw my bike most of the way up that ridiculous HAB/shitfest. I was so happy to get to the top and make the turn onto the AZT. When I saw Ray's headlamp off in the distance, I felt relieved that I wasn't the only one out there in complete darkness. In the end, I crossed that damn finish line like I wanted to... DFL!
    Hey Arturo - this is Kim. Nice job finishing up! Sun was starting to set as we approached LST. So we pulled the plug! That is awesome you hung in there! As everyone else is saying - it was a great learning experience and Steve and I will be back for the McDowell race. Kudos to everyone who was out there - finish or not! Here's a picture of Arturo eating tuna fish with a knife at the top of Montana mtn - classic!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AES: Picketpost Rollcall!! 50 or 81?? Who's IN?-picketpost2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice work to those that participated in this event. That is some unforgiving territory for sure. I wanted to attend but couldn't due to a prior engagement. Still hoping to get a spot in the Kentucky Camp event.
    A procrastinator will never prosper.

mtbr member

Glad to hear you finished Arturo! I'm pretty sure your the guy I chatted with riding up the road a few miles from the bottom of the swirchbacks. Good to know there was another 50 miler out there in the darkness with me.

Any other after darkers see blue green eyes up on the hill 3-4 miles down the az trail from the road? Probably a coyote or a bobcat I figure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I only took one picture and it was post ride after cleaning myself up. Not too sure how or where this happened, but my adrenaline was pumping so much that i didn't even notice it until later on that night.

AES: Picketpost Rollcall!! 50 or 81?? Who's IN?-20131102_143849.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast