Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Ahhh the pain....

AES McDowell 70 roll call

Ok... So with the race coming up, who's in?

Bart and I pre-rode the course today. Took us just over 8 hours. It's a tough course, probably a bit tougher than ppp. The descent down the north side of Tom's is dicey... And with lots of hikers, you've gotta be careful. There's about 20 miles of track north of dynamite which is actually harder than what we expected. And lastly, the climb up prospector and bell after all those miles was brutal.
    Bring lights!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Give it a crank
    Nice pre-ride, Ray. I'm not in it but I'll try to be riding in the area just for kicks.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I'll be there. Were you able to ride the full descent off Tom's Thumb or was there glorious downhill HAB?
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    I'll be there. Were you able to ride the full descent off Tom's Thumb or was there glorious downhill HAB?
    ^this.
    inquiring minds want to know. how's it stack up to East End and TT?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    you don't ride down the back of Tom's Thumb.... you drift down.

My other ride is your mom
    I'm in and feeling mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post

Bart and I pre-rode the course today. Took us just over 8 hours. It's a tough course, probably a bit tougher than ppp. The descent down the north side of Tom's is dicey... And with lots of hikers, you've gotta be careful. There's about 20 miles of track north of dynamite which is actually harder than what we expected. And lastly, the climb up prospector and bell after all those miles was brutal.
    Bring lights!

This course was not meant to be that hard. However, it was cobbled together without anyone actually riding the entire thing. Now that Ray and Bart have scoped it out, I'm going to make some small adjustments to make it a little less brutal. Don't worry, Toms Thumb and the climb up to Bell are staying in - they are essential. However, there are some extras that got thrown in that can come out.

More on this later today.

mtbr member
    AES is not supposed to be easy. Perhaps a "Short" version of the course is needed? Picket Post has it... Kentucky Camp has it...

Having two versions allows new riders to join in the fun and sample AES without getting in over their heads but leaves a real "Endurance" component in for those angry [singlespeeders] who look forward to a weekend of suffering and self-mutilation.

I'll be there regardless of what shape the course takes and, yes, I am bringing a light.

Quote Originally Posted by az3075 View Post
    AES is not supposed to be easy. Perhaps a "Short" version of the course is needed? Picket Post has it... Kentucky Camp has it...

Having two versions allows new riders to join in the fun and sample AES without getting in over their heads but leaves a real "Endurance" component in for those angry [singlespeeders] who look forward to a weekend of suffering and self-mutilation.

I'll be there regardless of what shape the course takes and, yes, I am bringing a light.

Yup. There will be a short course.

Working out the details.

parenting for gnarness
    its on a Sunday! hooray! no effing kids soccer!
    i am planning on it.

**important info if you are doing the race**

The McDowell race is coming up soon. Couple of items to note.

1. It is on SUNDAY, December 15.
    2. The course has changed dramatically from past years and now offers a long and short version.
    3. There were some corrections made to the GPS track today (11/30), so if you downloaded the track already you need to go out and get it again.

Details on the site:
    9 McDowell Mountain | Arizona Endurance Series

How much further ???
    I rode everything but the passes yesterday and had a few observations. #1 there are a couple road closed gates that I went around. Assuming that is fine? #2 A lot of the trails to the north after the Brown Mt climb look closed off. I cant tell you how many turns I missed even with the GPS. I see that the course has been modified but it looks like it still goes through that area somewhat and while it doesnt have a closed sign someone clearly put brush and debris in the trail to close it.

#3 there is a new trail head parking lot at the bottom of the Whiskey Bottle trail. There is a barbed wire fence in the way of the GPS track. Unless I missed something you will need to follow the road down from the TH to the main road turn right and then left to get back on course.

AES McDowell 70 roll call-2013-11-30_1235.jpg
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    This course was not meant to be that hard. However, it was cobbled together without anyone actually riding the entire thing. Now that Ray and Bart have scoped it out, I'm going to make some small adjustments to make it a little less brutal. Don't worry, Toms Thumb and the climb up to Bell are staying in - they are essential. However, there are some extras that got thrown in that can come out.

More on this later today.
    That makes it interesting. I rode everything excluding Bell and TT (total was 55 miles) and while I did that in 6 hours I thought to myself there is no way I could make this with TT and Bell thrown in there. Those northern most trails sucked the life out of me. I was actually going to back out. Guess I will have to reconsider.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    I rode everything but the passes yesterday and had a few observations. #1 there are a couple road closed gates that I went around. Assuming that is fine? #2 A lot of the trails to the north after the Brown Mt climb look closed off. I cant tell you how many turns I missed even with the GPS. I see that the course has been modified but it looks like it still goes through that area somewhat and while it doesnt have a closed sign someone clearly put brush and debris in the trail to close it.

#3 there is a new trail head parking lot at the bottom of the Whiskey Bottle trail. There is a barbed wire fence in the way of the GPS track. Unless I missed something you will need to follow the road down from the TH to the main road turn right and then left to get back on course.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-11-30_1235.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	851107

#1 Yep. The gates off the competitive loop are often open. If not, climb over. The fence at 128th - that's to keep the horses out so they don't disturb the mountain bikers. It's not an official AES race if you aren't going over a barbed wire fence or taking some random, unofficial path.

#2 Yes, that is the "old" section. It is not part of the new stuff at Brown's Ranch. It is fine to ride out there. However, since it is kind of a mess now and more hassle than it is worth, I cut it out of the course.

#3 That is fixed on the new track.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post

Bring lights!
    and hiking shoes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    In for the Weenie course.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've done this one the last 4 years, but I'm having the hardware taken out of my shoulder the Friday before, so I'm out. Kinda bummed. This one was my first big ride.

Hopefully the Hidden Hills issue will be resolved for next years course so you can put Sunrise back in instead of going towards Brown's Ranch.

parenting for gnarness
    i heard Brown's Ranch got beat to all hell by horses, will the course be going through that?

Ahhh the pain....
    yeah, it does. Two sections are particularly bad, the descent down Browns Peak (although there is a hardpacked, 6" wide strip to ride that isn't too bad) and the stuff leading up to and north of Fraesfield Mtn.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

How much further ???
    Yeah I had a few choice words for our fellow trail users (didnt actually encounter any just talking to myself) while riding over, some up to 6 inch deep, post holes. Seemed to be 3 or 4 horses that went out too soon after a rain. Then again I figure our other fellow trail users will be having a few choice words about us when we all come down the north end of Tom's Thumb. That trail head has been packed the last few times I've been up there.

mtbr member
    I used to ride the trails in Brown's Ranch area on my dirt bike before they took it away from us. My memory says they wouldn't be that fun on a pedal bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    #1 Yep. The gates off the competitive loop are often open. If not, climb over. The fence at 128th - that's to keep the horses out so they don't disturb the mountain bikers. It's not an official AES race if you aren't going over a barbed wire fence or taking some random, unofficial path.

#2 Yes, that is the "old" section. It is not part of the new stuff at Brown's Ranch. It is fine to ride out there. However, since it is kind of a mess now and more hassle than it is worth, I cut it out of the course.

#3 That is fixed on the new track.
    Those changes probably shave off an hour off the long option. Those old moto trails were tough and hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleGerl View Post
    I've done this one the last 4 years, but I'm having the hardware taken out of my shoulder the Friday before, so I'm out. Kinda bummed. This one was my first big ride.

Hopefully the Hidden Hills issue will be resolved for next years course so you can put Sunrise back in instead of going towards Brown's Ranch.
    Bummer. And you were one of the few survivors from last year's "weather event".

Scottsdale bought the last little parcel of land that they didn't have in the McDowells last month. That clears them to create a trail from Sunrise over to Ftn Hills - bypassing Hidden Hills. Hopefully that happens before next year's ride. Interestingly, there is also talk about extending Granite - up to Thompson Peak. Now that would be a climb!

More here:
    http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Assets/P...rve+Update.pdf

Give it a crank
    That's great news, the Sunrise bypass will be a huge enhancement. I just wish I had knees for the long rides, I may have to get new ones someday!

Got a suspension fork
    Not for certain, but leaning towards IN for the short course.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast