How much further ???

AES fueling tips

So as usual when I get into something I analyze the heck out of it. So Ive spent way too much time on Hammer nutrition today and realized I might be a bit far down the rabbit hole and need to take a step back.

While Im sure their products are top notch Im not sure I really need to spend the $120 for what amounts to 2 rides for a combination of Hammer gel, Perpeteum, Endurolytes, and anti fatigue caps, based on the serving size recommendation for my weight.

So is all this Hammer stuff really overboard for an average joe? Would a combination of fig newtons and peanut butter on crackers be just as good? (although I had a single cliff bar on my last 20+ mile ride and it was tough to choke down the solid food. ) Can any of you who have done this before share your trade secrets?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I've learned from John and Tim that Carborocket is the best ever. I tried it and I fully agree! I have like 3 tubs now. Try it out and you'll never look back. It tastes great hot or cold and it goes down very easy and nice on the stomach. Dilutes very easily in water and it's not overly sweet at all.

mtbr member

Re: AES fueling tips

I buy 60 lbs bags of maltodextrin from honeyville grains (60 dollars?) and they last forever. I supplement with endurolyte powder from hammer and do well on road events. Will see how it does on the trail in Nov.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Ahhh the pain....
    Douger,
    Yeah, as Arturo said, carborocket is great stuff. If you use it and supplement with real food like fig newtons, bars, pringles, pickles, pb&j sammys, almond butter, nuts, etc, you'll get plenty of calories...shoot for about 300 calories per hour. I've found that if I eat a mix of salty and sweet stuff, I get enough electrolytes that I don;t have a problem. However, I sometimes drop a few nuun tabs in my bottles when it's hot. If you can tolerate sweet stuff, things like gummy bears, licorice, swedish fish, etc is awesome. Personally, I have to be careful with the super sweet stuff and make sure I get down some protein and fats. The other thing I've found and also learned from others is things like a burro or sandwich or cold pizza or other REAL food on a 10+ hour ride is like gold. Bars and other snacky stuff get's old at about hour 6... Lots of people care food (including me) and just can't stand the thought of eating it...so have options.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I'm a big fan of Camelback Elixer tablets, and bananas, oranges, and a fruit & nut trail mixes. My personal preference, but I just try to use as much real food as I can.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Like Ray said bring variety of food. What keeps me going is proper water and sodium replacement - I use saltstick and scratch. I also tend go for saltier foods. You probably need about 400 mg of salt per hour. You can easily tally up the sodium you are getting.

What ratio of carb, fat protein - probably doesn't matter that much. You will deplete your glycogen within first few hours and start burning fat. Some people think it's important to keep fueling with carbs and other think you should teach body to burn fat - ketone bodies conversion.

I recently discovered bacon jerkey in Costco - full of salt and instant SATIETY for those hunger pains during long rides !

My other ride is your mom
    Real food meals with a few real food snacks supplemented with super concentrated carborocket to take a shot of every so often....dial the calorie intake in based on duration of the ride and the calories per hour you want.

You won't know what you need until you've gone out there and done it....

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    You won't know what you need until you've gone out there and done it....
    ^^exactly...other peoples routines work for them but my not for you...start experimenting!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

parenting for gnarness
    JTFC! humans have been running down Wooly Mammoth for eons before HoneyStingers were invented! bring food, eat it. don't overthink it.

Counting calories and then having some extra is for real. Not starting with a calorie hole is very important, that is, don't let travelling or getting up early etc. make you skip a meal esp. a good breakfast. Other than that just experiment and be sensible about weight vs. effort, protein vs. sugars. Don Miguel burritos are disgusting even my dog wouldnt finish it.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Once again super info here. I tend to ride with one bottle of Carborocket or whatever powder of the month I currently have (I also like Hammer's Perpetuem, Cytomax fruit punch flavor, Infinit Nutrition). So I'll take an extra serving or two of whatever I'm running that day. For sweets, I go with Swedish fish & Shot Blocs, trail mix of cashews, almonds, peanuts & Reese's Pieces!! I like having a couple dill pickle slices, pb&j, apples w/peanut butter, orange slices, bananas, tuna in a pouch, jerky, one clif bar for emergency only!! I've been carrying an Ensure type drink as well, I like to have that early on in the morning of a long day. Oh yeah, a burrito every once in a while.

I've been know to carry the entire grocery list on occasion. Overkill? Perhaps, but I have nice options and i don't mind lugging it around.

Don't forget about the post-ride!! I usually stash a cooler with one bottle of water, gatorade, chocolate milk & a couple beers!! If it's a really tough day in the saddle the beer is usually the last thing I drink, I just have to wait a bit before enjoying a cold one to celebrate reaching the finish line.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    The rule I've always followed is take your bodyweight and double it, that's roughly how many calories you want an hour. Ray weighs roughly 150lbs, so no surprise he's found about 300 cal/hr works for him.
    Like CB mentioned, don't roll out of the trailhead or the Circle K without doing the math and having enough food. Whatever you buy -- bars, gels, junk food -- make sure it's stuff you like. On an AES ride you're gonna be stuck with it for the next several hours and relying on it to get you home. Enjoy it. Keep eating.

The other rule I've started to follow after trial and error (several painful errors), is to not rely on any sort of drink to get calories in. Whatever I drink is solely to hydrate. This nutritionist's blog and e-book taught me what I should be looking for. Haven't cramped since I started getting the counts right on all the minerals. It will help you avoid some junk on the market. As you're shopping, keep in mind lots of people have trouble with protein added to their drinks. Here's her page on hydration

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    I've been know to carry the entire grocery list on occasion. Overkill? Perhaps, but I have nice options and i don't mind lugging it around.
    It's not so much the food where you go overboard. It's the 2 cameras, 2 full bladders, and spare hubcap for a '79 datsun that you lug around on a 45 min ride at SoMo.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Don Miguel burritos are disgusting even my dog wouldnt finish it.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    It's not so much the food where you go overboard. It's the 2 cameras, 2 full bladders, and spare hubcap for a '79 datsun that you lug around on a 45 min ride at SoMo.
    It's blatant lies like this that bug me, I only carry 1 DSLR camera and that hubcap makes for a nice trailside plate for meals.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    When I first started riding longer distances, I had a friend, regular endurance racer, who shared a few tips with me. He said that one of his favorite recovery foods was a pint of Ben & Jerry's. If you think about it, it actually makes sense.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

How much further ???
    JTFC! humans have been running down Wooly Mammoth for eons before HoneyStingers were invented! bring food, eat it. don't overthink it.
    I hear you but we as mountain bikers scruntinize over millimeters of travel, less than an inch of wheel radius, 1 degree of HA etc etc all the time. So why not scrutinize a little on what you are putting into your body? That plus Im an engineer so Im really screwed when I start nerding out.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    I hear you but we as mountain bikers scruntinize over millimeters of travel, less than an inch of wheel radius, 1 degree of HA etc etc all the time. So why not scrutinize a little on what you are putting into your body? That plus Im an engineer so Im really screwed when I start nerding out.
    i'm just effin with you. calorie count is important, but the minutia of it I think is overrated for an endurance event where you are not redlining your body, you're just slowly consuming it. Common sense, balance, options... you can not substitute for experience, so dont kill yourself trying. I would say I'm both more and less anal about my food now than 5 yrs ago. I must have a balance of sugars and proteins, but beyond that i dont care who's bar or powder it is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Anyone in the no sugars/no grains camp, ala vinnie tortorich/Joe Friel?
    2013 Rockhopper Pro 29er

Happy Trails

AES fueling tips

I drink for hydration and electrolytes, not so much calories ..... and eat mostly real solid food for calories. I use pure water from a CamelBack plus a frozen Scratch Labs powder+water bottle. Check the ingredients in Scratch Labs powder ... real cane sugar and real dried fruit. I eat solid food such as fig bars or Payday bars or Honey Stinger waffles, but I always carry a gel or two in case of emergency bonk. Honey Stinger waffles are awesome. Let one warm up over top of a cup of hot coffee on a camping morning and it's practically Waffle House. In Summer, though, I usually freeze everything night before and let it thaw as I ride. Another tip is dry Scratch Labs (or Gatorade, or whatever) powder in an empty dry bottle that I can fill up mid-ride if water is available. Lightweight method to get some electrolytes and and some energy. Another tip is grab a few extra single-serve peanut butters next time you are traveling in breakfast-bar hotel ... Try that with your waffles whooooohoooo all good. Last tip is an empty ziplock bag to haul out all the trash I make.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I hear people say this all the time, and maybe it's true for relatively short distances, but super fit guys out there are dying of heart attacks from running marathons and longer, as it seems the body isn't quite intended to run for that long. Maybe 10-15 miles is the magic number to tire a mammoth or other animal, but given how terrible we are at ultra distance, I can't think we're "all that" when it comes to running. Seems that just the "marathon" back in ancient times was considered to be a super-human feat.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I hear people say this all the time, and maybe it's true for relatively short distances, but super fit guys out there are dying of heart attacks from running marathons and longer, as it seems the body isn't quite intended to run for that long. Maybe 10-15 miles is the magic number to tire a mammoth or other animal, but given how terrible we are at ultra distance, I can't think we're "all that" when it comes to running. Seems that just the "marathon" back in ancient times was considered to be a super-human feat.
    *mind*
    *blown*