Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,757

    AES Aspen Asphyxiation 2013 - May 11

    The day before Mom's day, we'll all suffer like dogs in the thin air racing against our friends for nothing but bragging rights. It won't cost you $110 entry fee nor will you have to ride only dirt roads...You won't get any fancy buckle or beer glass. If you want, I'm sure someone will give you a hug if you're into that kind of thing. You will need to bring a lawn chair and some beer so we can share stories afterwards.
    Sign up here...5 Aspen Asphyxiation | Arizona Endurance Series
    Course is 68 miles, 7800ft. Get it here, it is called "AAV1.gpx": https://drive.google.com/?tab=wo&aut...TdOdzAtMjQ5cTg
    Note that the course is different that last year! But the start time and location will be the same as last year... 7:30am on Saturday, May 11, 2013, Safeway near Buffalo Park 1490 East Cedar Avenue, Flagstaff, AZ 86004
    Note that gpx file has waypoints for race start and end as well as water (as we cross Hwy 89). If there are questions, feel free to send me a note..
    Cheers,
    Ray
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

  2. #2
    Got a suspension fork
    Reputation: randyharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,324
    68 MTB would be my longest MTB ride ever! after BCT N2S.

    Would love to say I'm IN but previous plans seem to be saying otherwise.

    Have fun everybody, and come on, can't you jokers at least make some AES pint glasses?
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

  3. #3
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,757
    Hey, we've got jerseys! We don't need no stinking glasses! Bought mine so that it fits euro-tight because JeffZ likes my rippling pectorals.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    152
    I am having an issue with gpx files for some reason. I am local and very familiar with all the trails in flag.

    Could someone be so kind as to post a very general verbal description of the course while I sort this crap out on my end?
    No need to be precise, just general trail names in succession and I will figure it out. Thanks.

  5. #5
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,757
    SG...basically we are gonna do a neutral roll up through buff park, easy oldham to Mt Elden Rd. Then the race will start....we'll go up Elden, take the sunset connector, through hobbit forest, down upper brookbank west along secret, west secret (not sure what it's called) then it turns south, across the pipeline and then hits rocky moto where we'll go west over till it hits the AZT, then connect up to SB road, climb the road to aspen corner, drop down to the AZT there, down the AZT all the way to Schultz Pass, then AZT EQ bypass all the way east, back through walnut canyon, by fisher pt, and back to flag. Time stops where FUTS hits lone tree.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    152
    Thanks. Interesting choice of routes to say the least...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    126
    Looking forward to my second AA meeting. There's a good chance I'll fall right back off of the wagon concluding the race though...

  8. #8
    ...
    Reputation: dtownmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    969
    now I HAVE to show - just to slap you upside the head.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    46

    2013 - Aspen Asphyxiation Course Map

    I am curious to see if this works...

    A map of the course has been created using the provided GPX file. If you want to view the map, go to:

    ArcGIS Online

    click "sign in"

    On the sign-in page, enter, "2013 - Aspen Asphyxiation" into the search bar on the top of the page (don't actually attempt to sign-in unless you want to sign-up for a free account).

    A link to the map should appear and be accessible to everyone...
    Last edited by singletracmind; 05-03-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: trying to make the link work

  10. #10
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,580
    Quote Originally Posted by singletracmind View Post
    I am curious to see if this works...

    A map of the course has been created using the provided GPX file. If you want to view the map, go to:

    ArcGIS Online

    click "sign in"

    On the sign-in page, enter, "2013 - Aspen Asphyxiation" into the search bar on the top of the page (don't actually attempt to sign-in unless you want to sign-up for a free account).

    A link to the map should appear and be accessible to everyone...
    It worked really well...cool!
    Ride more; post less...

  11. #11
    pedaller
    Reputation: Noelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,400
    That's an awesome map! Thanks!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

  12. #12
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,757
    I was up riding some of the course this morning. It definitely has a little bit of everything. Long climbs that'll favor the climbers, big boulder drops and chunky rock gardens for the tech savy, fast flowy xc stuff, a little HAB for fun, and great views. Bring your endurance...the first half of the ride has all the climbing and if you burn your matches there, the walnut canyon loop will seem like you've gone all the way to New Mexico and back.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,666
    I can't get that GPX to open in garmin connect. Weird, cuz all other Ray's gpx's worked just fine.

  14. #14
    Shift less, Pedal more.
    Reputation: Birdss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    433
    How do I sign up? I didn't see a spot on the AES website, and that route looks like an absolute blast.

    Thanks!
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

  15. #15
    pedaller
    Reputation: Noelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Bring your endurance...the first half of the ride has all the climbing and if you burn your matches there, the walnut canyon loop will seem like you've gone all the way to New Mexico and back.
    Been there. Done that...ouchie...

    Of course, I only have one match so...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

  16. #16
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,757
    BirdSS...go here...sign up is on that page. 5 Aspen Asphyxiation | Arizona Endurance Series
    Bart, I'll send you a file via email and see if that works.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

  17. #17
    Got a suspension fork
    Reputation: randyharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,324
    Kind of similar to that ArcGIS, I've been happily using GPSies.com for years, here it is on that site.

    Mountainbike-Tour Flagstaff | 2013 - Aspen Asphyxiation | GPSies

    Check it out, good stuff.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

  18. #18
    pedaller
    Reputation: Noelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,400
    Very cool Randy! Especially the flyover.

    I noticed that the 2 mistakes I made while riding the southern portion were on that track too (on the AZT).

    1)Making a left after the wooden bridge instead of the hard right
    2)Missin the fence entrance into the singletrack 100 yards down that private road...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

  19. #19
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,757
    Hey Noel,
    I've created a map that I'll send out that points out both of those easy to miss areas....
    Thanks man!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,666
    Man I would love to this, as I still got the high from whiskey.

    But I have an embarrassing confession to make....






    I never rode a bike in Flagstaff.

    I drove there. I hiked a bit. I skid in Snow Bowl. But my bike tires never touch that land.

    You guys throw these trail names around and it sounds like foreign language.


    I have my POS Garmin Edge 500 which I don't trust because it freezes up on me. That's if I get that gpx file to work.

    Is there a PDF map of at least some of those trails? I think Cosmic Ray's book has some of those trails hand drawn.

    Maybe if I can latch on to one of the riders that actually knows the area and see how long I can keep up before I loose the trail... and then hopefully make it back to the car.

  21. #21
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,757
    Bart...no worries...I will be posting a map that will help a lot. And heck, you'll either be on my wheel or waiting for me. Come on up...it'll be a great time.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Man I would love to this, as I still got the high from whiskey.

    But I have an embarrassing confession to make....






    I never rode a bike in Flagstaff.

    I drove there. I hiked a bit. I skid in Snow Bowl. But my bike tires never touch that land.

    You guys throw these trail names around and it sounds like foreign language.


    I have my POS Garmin Edge 500 which I don't trust because it freezes up on me. That's if I get that gpx file to work.

    Is there a PDF map of at least some of those trails? I think Cosmic Ray's book has some of those trails hand drawn.

    Maybe if I can latch on to one of the riders that actually knows the area and see how long I can keep up before I loose the trail... and then hopefully make it back to the car.
    I just finished making a .tcx file from the .gpx file that Ray provided. I was successful getting this file to load to my Garmin Edge 500 by copying it directly into the, "NewFiles" folder on the unit. After disconnecting from the computer, and restarting my GPS, the GARMIN startup screen was, "frozen" for approx. 5-minutes. Turns out it was converting the newly added .tcx file (I think to a .crs file...) and moving it to the "Courses" directory. At first I thought that I had messed-up the unit and was already researching how to do a hard reboot when everything turned around. This course is so large, it takes a while to convert and load.

    If you are having issues with your Edge 500 freezing, try going into the history and deleting all of your activities (doesn't erase the totals). Also, there are periodic updates available through Garmin's website:

    Garmin: Edge 500 Updates & Downloads

    Anyhow, if anyone is using a Garmin edge 500, 800 or something similar -- and they want this file -- PM me and I'll email it to you. I tried uploading it to the .gpx library that Ray created (and referenced above) but I was denied due to a permissions issues. Ray - I can email this file to you if you want to add it to the library.

    I'm going to try it out tomorrow to be sure that it works...

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,666
    Quote Originally Posted by singletracmind View Post
    I just finished making a .tcx file from the .gpx file that Ray provided. I was successful getting this file to load to my Garmin Edge 500 by copying it directly into the, "NewFiles" folder on the unit. After disconnecting from the computer, and restarting my GPS, the GARMIN startup screen was, "frozen" for approx. 5-minutes. Turns out it was converting the newly added .tcx file (I think to a .crs file...) and moving it to the "Courses" directory. At first I thought that I had messed-up the unit and was already researching how to do a hard reboot when everything turned around. This course is so large, it takes a while to convert and load.

    If you are having issues with your Edge 500 freezing, try going into the history and deleting all of your activities (doesn't erase the totals). Also, there are periodic updates available through Garmin's website:

    Garmin: Edge 500 Updates & Downloads

    Anyhow, if anyone is using a Garmin edge 500, 800 or something similar -- and they want this file -- PM me and I'll email it to you. I tried uploading it to the .gpx library that Ray created (and referenced above) but I was denied due to a permissions issues. Ray - I can email this file to you if you want to add it to the library.

    I'm going to try it out tomorrow to be sure that it works...
    I got it ! Thanks that was helpful stuff. I usde Bike Route Toaster website to upload the gpx and convert it to tcx. Manually placed the tcx file in the NewFolder on my garmin. Turned it on and waited few minutes as it is automatically converted in to course.
    Last edited by metalaficionado; 05-05-2013 at 10:50 PM.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Bart...no worries...I will be posting a map that will help a lot. And heck, you'll either be on my wheel or waiting for me. Come on up...it'll be a great time.
    just leave me some breadcrumbs or leaky Stan's to follow

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    46
    I had a chance to ride the course yesterday. I approached it as a casual ride, until about 3 PM, when I realized that it was time to push or it was going to get dark before I could get back to Buffalo Park (and my car).

    Total time: 11:14:27

    What an awesome course! The section from Aspen Corner down to Snowbowl Road is a scream. Watch out for fallen trees along this section...

    The section from 89 out towards Cosnino is really dry and the cinders are pretty deep and loose, especially between 89 and Rain Valley. Today's rains may have helped (hopefully there is more on the way)

    Navigating the course with my Garmin EDGE 500 worked fine. Every now and then I would get an "off course" alarm and have to back track a couple hundred feet to a missed turn/ trail. The right at the bottom of Twisted Sister (West Secret?) -- just past the pipeline -- is easy to miss, probably because most people go left at this point and the trail is more obvious in that direction.

    I'm going to be out of town this weekend and I won't be able to make the actual, "race." I can't wait to hear how you all did!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Aspen Beta
    By slcdawg in forum Colorado - Western Slope
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 10:05 AM
  2. Aspen Asphyxiation - May12
    By Raybum in forum Arizona
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-13-2012, 09:15 PM
  3. How your Aspen?
    By TahoeBC in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 04:59 PM
  4. Aspen in front?
    By chris1911 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 05:59 PM
  5. Aspen -eXC or non eXC?
    By sjs514 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 06:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •