DFL>DNF>DNS

AES Antelope Peak 65 / Gila100 rollcall!

Who's in?? Which one? I know a handful of crazies doing the brutal Gila100, not this guy. APC65 for some redemption from last year. I'll need to work up a bit more before attempting the Gila100. Best of luck to those giving that monster a go, very curious to see the finishing times & hear the tales from the trail.

There's still room for more, especially the 65. Sign up on the AES site. About 1/2 the route is on a remote stretch of AZT (between Freeman Rd & Oracle), stellar views on some great desert singletrack. See ya there.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ahhh the pain....
    I'm one of the crazies....
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

I figure the Gila is as much a mental game as a test of endurance. Just gotta realize you are going to be out there all day and most of the night and you just need to keep moving toward the end. Anyhow, that's how I'm approaching it.

For those that did APC last year I can tell you that the gasline bypass section is much improved. More signs and the trail is actually a trail. However, that climb out of Bloodsucker wash is not exactly fun.

Looking forward to seeing who actually shows for the Gila. This is one of those events that mixes stupid and awesome in pretty much equal parts.

mtbr member
    65 and already thinking of choice phrases to yell at Bloodsucker Wash.

I am Bob
    In for the 65 (or 71 with the bonus) unless one of my kids explodes which often happens when I'm planning an AES ride.

mtbr member

Don't forget the TP!

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    HAHA

That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    In for the Gila. Time to pay the piper...

Kathleen in AZ
    Any idea how long it migh take for you to get to where the AZ trail crosses that jeep road in the valley near the beginning of the race? I'm thinking of staging there for some early AM pictures...

Ahhh the pain....
    DG; I think that jeep road is about 7-8 miles in from the trailhead so I'd guess people would start hitting it at about 5:45AM.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    In for the 65 as long as something else doesn't snafu on me. Already missed the Jamboree and the Quad. Great start to the year!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Kathleen in AZ
    DG; I think that jeep road is about 7-8 miles in from the trailhead so I'd guess people would start hitting it at about 5:45AM.
    Thanks Raybum... Know anyone who's been on that road? I have a pretty capable 4wheeler but I will also be doing this for the first time in the wee hours of o-dark-thirty. Just wondering how easy or heinous the road might be.

DG, I don't know how adventurous you feel like being, but you might want to catch them at Kelvin. If you could get to the top of the first hill, you'd have the Gila River as a backdrop, and maybe the train trestle. You'd have another 5 hours or so to be able to catch them on that end, and the drive is only another 30min from the PP TH. A road went up quite a ways along the AZT, but I'm not sure how much of that has been devolved back into singletrack. At one point you could drive all the way to the top of that last climb, which is where you'd get the sweet view. Just an idea. I'm sure Ray has some more beta on how easy it might be to get up there. I haven't been there in a year +. Just an idea.

Ahhh the pain....
    DG- good question...I have never been on that road (other than crossing it) although there's always lots of tire tracks on it. DN has a good idea, but I suspect it'll be about 10AM by the time the first guy (Kurt R. most likely) will roll though Kelvin. If you choose to head down towards Kelvin, you'd take a right turn immediately before the bridge over the Gila. It eventually gets narrowed to singletrack but I think you can take it up to nearly the high point. That'd be awesome to have some pics of people coming through there...we'll definitely be looking a heck of a lot better then than we will 15 hours later!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm in for the 65er. I haven't been logging in the miles. This is gonna hurt!

Lakvoodoo
    Y'all have fun out there! Looking forward to hearing all about it!!
    Get Outside!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I found that out today Donna, tried a redemption ride for the AES McDowell 60 & DNF'd my ITT!! Still logged 60 miles, but I was wishing it was over at mile 40!! That hurt. Tomorrow should be interesting. I guess I'll be the trail sweeper.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

AES Antelope Peak 65 / Gila100 rollcall!

That hurt. That was a long day. Finishing with the AZT was painful. Having Kurt R cruise right on by looking relaxed is inspiring afterwards, less so while HABing up a slight grade.

First AES event attempted and finished. Now for Sedona!

connect.garmin.com/activity/268932306

Ryan

mtbr member
    Yeah, those 4 climbs at the end were a real kick in the nuts. I can't imagine how much worse they must have felt with an extra 35 miles in the legs

DFL>DNF>DNS
    RPS1030, my thoughts exactly!! Kurt came hammering up one of the last grades out of Bloodsucker wash and stopped for a quick chat, he wasn't even breathing hard!! I just told him that I was expecting him before I went back into the pain cave. Awesome job to all who ventured out there yesterday. It was very inspiring as the Gila100 finishers came under the AZT sign last night.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nice job guys!

I totally botched up my morning! I did a quick check of my tires that I had put an extra scoop of Stans in the day before, only to find my rear tire flat. I unloaded my bike, fixed the tire and got on the road a little later than I expected. I passed Oracle looking for Tiger Mine Rd. and never found it. Drove about 10 miles too far. Frazzled. Finally realized that Old Tiger Rd. was the Tiger Mine Rd. I was looking for and turned onto it only to see everyone leaving. (Thanks Google maps!) I got geared up quick and took off only to fight with my GPS which kept telling me I was "off course". This feature is a curse and a blessing all in one.

I knew I'd probably be getting in at dusk had I even started on time and I was now about 45 minutes behind schedule and worse I was already mentally beat. I figured if I caught anyone who had bike troubles by the time I got about 20 miles in I'd complete the loop but wasn't feeling it for navigating cow trails after I couldn't even manage to find the trail head. I never did see anyone so I just went back the same way I came. Got 40 miles in. Unfortunately almost all highway or dirt road.

Kinda bummed. I was hoping to do all the one day AES events this year and I botched it up on the 1st one! lol

Some days ya gotta know when to fold em' I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleGerl View Post
    Kinda bummed. I was hoping to do all the one day AES events this year and I botched it up on the 1st one! lol

Some days ya gotta know when to fold em' I guess.
    Ain't that the truth. I got bucked out of this one last year when my derailler broke at mile 25, but this year I didn't even make it out. I was packed, woke up in the morning, but couldn't find the confidence to overcome my growing anxiety about the ability of my knee to make the distance, especially with HAB. It's an old injury getting older and worse. Some changes in this my knee in the last month have me wanting to stay close to civilization.......talk about feeling tied down! Last thing I wanted was my knee to seize up coming out of Bloodsucker. Not sure how this shakes out for future big rides....... Might be time to go under the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    I got bucked out of this one last year when my derailler broke

Identified the problem for you right there. Get rid of that and all of your rides will be cake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    Ain't that the truth. I got bucked out of this one last year when my derailler broke at mile 25, but this year I didn't even make it out. I was packed, woke up in the morning, but couldn't find the confidence to overcome my growing anxiety about the ability of my knee to make the distance, especially with HAB. It's an old injury getting older and worse. Some changes in this my knee in the last month have me wanting to stay close to civilization.......talk about feeling tied down! Last thing I wanted was my knee to seize up coming out of Bloodsucker. Not sure how this shakes out for future big rides....... Might be time to go under the knife.
    The knee thing sucks. It's one thing to be sore and achy. It's a whole different level when it starts limiting the things you do. I hope you get things sorted out!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Gila 100 was a doozy. I'm usually obsessed with trying to clean everything, but I heeded a friend's advice and made a conscious effort to really pace myself and walk the technical stuff. Other than some minor mechanical issues and a little stomach issues, the suffering really didn't begin until the climb up from Bloodsucker Wash started. That was my first time riding any of the Alamo Canyon/Gila River Canyons stuff and man was that awesome. Finished in right around 17 hours, so definitely not fast, but that was never the goal to begin with. With a ride of this caliber, the goal was to minimize suffering, enjoy myself, and simply finish.

Nice job to all Gila 100 and APC 65 finishers.

I'm looking forward to the Tor de 50 this weekend...technical goodness awaits...