Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

The Aerie Trail Approval is Official- PLEASE HELP IF POSSIBLE

I got word back from Sedona FS that the approval process of the new Aerie trail has been completed. At this point the 2 1/4+ mile trail is over 50% completed. That is the good news the bad news is that the last portion is the most difficult to build in, so the construction will be slower on the last half unless I am able to recruit a larger volunteer crew.

So the point of this this thread is to find out who might be able to help out this coming weekend. I am willing to work both Saturday and Sunday. If you do decide to work let me know which day and time works for you.

I will be posting a video of the current trail and GPS track on how to get to the worksite. I personally have been riding to the worksite to speed up work process and to pack in the recently constructed trail, so you can either ride in or hike in. If you do decide to work gloves and helmets are required protective gear.

I personally have been wearing jeans, hiking boots and a long sleeve shirt for sun protection. I have been working about 4 to 5 hours an during that time consume about 100 oz. of water and two 16 oz. gatorades, two energy bars and an apple or orange.

Hope to see you out there.

TD

Potential Volunteer List for the Aerie Trail Project.

1. Maadjurguer
    2. Chalkpaw
    3. Motochick
    4. Scott72
    5. brianc
    6. ARCH57
    7. RobZona
    8. surfndav
    9. circusubet
    10. raisingarizona
    11. WaylonMcFlailin
    12. latedropbob
    14. h2ojunkie
    15. helimech

My other ride is your mom
    Dang.....I can't help this weekend....my brothers bluegrass band is playing in Pinetop this weekend....good luck.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Dang.....I can't help this weekend....my brothers bluegrass band is playing in Pinetop this weekend....good luck.
    Thanks for offering I will let you know of future work days. I am willing to work most any day that anyone wants to volunteer to help.

TD

mtbr member
    TD, I'm torn. There is trail work over here in Ptown the same day. As of right now I'm available on saturday, but to where? Hmmmm.
    JRA

slow and whiney
    Feb 2010
    Sorry, wife is road riding Mt. Lemmon Sat., I'm home with the kids.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think with a little more notice than Thursday night you may be able to muster together a good group. Maybe suggest a future date like next weekend.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by h2ojunkie
    I think with a little more notice than Thursday night you may be able to muster together a good group. Maybe suggest a future date like next weekend.
    h2o:

I don't disagree wih your logic. since I just got the official OK I thought I would throw a line out and see if I got any hits. Your suggestion about next weekend is a great idea, so I will look forward to any day anyone wants to help. Let me know if you want to work next weekend.

This is the video ( http://vimeo.com/14107548 ) of how the current section of trail rides.

TD

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    TD, I'm torn. There is trail work over here in Ptown the same day. As of right now I'm available on saturday, but to where? Hmmmm.
    Heli:

If you make it over here it certainly would be appreciated by yours truly .

TD

Huffy Rider
    I have been sick in bed for 11 days now, but I am dying to get out of this funk! If I can muster up the energy, I would love to help out. And if hubby (ACH57) will let me!

Brenda

mtbr member
    no can do this weekend. committed plans already.
    b

Chunky Monkey

Trail

Doc,
    I am in next weekend. Post up where to meet then please.

Thx,
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

Flaccid Member
    I'd be leary to work on something you only got "word" on. Get it in writing, and a signed document by the Land Manager/Ranger in charge before starting any work on it. Been down that road before with CORBA and supposed "our proposal was accepted" by the USFS. The fund raiser for that stunt as well as the grant money... didn't fly very well... something about willful misrepresentation. This was by a contractor BTW.

Just saying TrailDoc... make sure your dot your i's and cross you t's before dragging others into it.

Meatbomb
    I'd help but I'm lazy.

mtbr member
    sounds like a few are going next weekend, so I'll plan on rollin' up Sat Aug 21.

Anyone on the list want to team up for the drive up from PHX?

banned
    OK at this point I have four sort notice volunteers coming tomorrow to help out, my hope is to bust out about 300 yards of new trail. Hopefully we won't be arrested and taken to jail for good intentions. We plan on meetng at the Fay Canyon parking lot on Boynton Pass Road at around 8:45 AM.

If anyone is interested in working Sunday let me know otherwise next weekend works for me unless I am in jail.

Here is the EveryTrail post (http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=752686) of the current trail for those who have a GPS they can meet at the northwest end of the trail. I personally ride to the construction site so I can get to the work site quickly and have a fun downhill ride back to my vehicle.

TD

banned
    Well the short notice group met up in Sedona at 8:30 AM this morning and we headed out to work on the new trail. The group consisted to two Prescott riders, a Sedona rider, my wife and myself.

After a safety discussion and signing of the appropriate paper work we started the continuation of the current 1.6 mile trail. My goal was to bust out 300 yards of new trail and I believe we came close to that amount. Currently, we are on the northwest side of Doe Mountain and from the completed section of trail we can see the Doe Mountain/Bear Mountain parking lot on Boynton Pass Road.

Hopefully after next weekend we will have built out the trail to the Doe Mountain trail.

Thanks to all who participated in today's project.

TD

banned
    Please sign up to help on the Areie project this coming weekend. I went out today and did about 472 foot steps of brushing to get a head start on this coming weekend push to get to the Doe Mountain trail befrore the end of the weekend.

Please let me know if you will be able to work either Saturday or Sunday. I have recently been parking on the Boynton Pass road and hiking up about 200 yards to the build site to be able to start working a little quicker.

If you want to ride the trail in that's OK also since it gives riders an idea as to the character of the trail, plus packs in the trail surface. You would ride about 1.2 miles to get to the build site.

Thanks in Advance,

TD

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i can understand your concern regarding your building construction, what i am saying be cool,just take some more time to complete the construction, accuracy is important at the same time Quality in construction is most important task.what do you say?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by garryjeamess
    i can understand your concern regarding your building construction, what i am saying be cool,just take some more time to complete the construction, accuracy is important at the same time Quality in construction is most important task.what do you say?
    gj:

Not sure what you are talking about, where did I say anything about my building construction? What accuracy are you talking about, over 60 hours was spent flagging the trail? I say routing is the most important part of trail building. "Be cool" what does that mean, like smoke a joint once in awhile or something totally different?

TD

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm interested in Saturday, anyone else?

mtbr member
    Wish I could come and help out with this project, maybe next time. Building trail is addicting, almost as much as riding.

Ridin bikes is fun
    TD, next weekend is a no go for me. But I'm thinking the 28th may be a good day for me. I'll let you know for sure later.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by h2ojunkie
    I'm interested in Saturday, anyone else?

h2o:

Saturday works for me, keep me posted if you will be here for sure.

TD

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    TD, good working with you, Janet and Roger, heli and I think it will be a fun trail. Have to be in the Valley this coming weekend, future work dates??

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    might get more volunteers if they named it the areola trail

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast