Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Adding electrolites to water in hydration pack?

Almost became a heat casualty on my last ride. I think I need to put something in my water to help replace what I sweat out. Do any of you add something like electrolites to your water in your hydration pack? If so, what have you found works well?

ben

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    Almost became a heat casualty on my last ride. I think I need to put something in my water to help replace what I sweat out. Do any of you add something like electrolites to your water in your hydration pack? If so, what have you found works well?

ben
    I've been using Nunn in my water for the past 4 years...but I don't bother with it for rides under 3 hours since I tend to not get into trouble until after then despite what I do to myself the night before...I would not bother with it under that time and focus on proper fitness and acclimatization instead....YMMV.

mtbr member
    Brawndos got electolytes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I've been using Nunn in my water for the past 4 years...but I don't bother with it for rides under 3 hours since I tend to not get into trouble until after then despite what I do to myself the night before...I would not bother with it under that time and focus on proper fitness and acclimatization instead....YMMV.
    Maybe I should add that I'm the type of person that knows I need more than water. My rides are typically under 3 hours of moving time, but I'm out on the trail longer than that.

My current routine during the ride is to drink the Cytomax that I have in my water bottle frequently and supplement with water while on the move. I also will consume 2-3 gel packs at various times when taking a break. Sometimes I add a Cliff bar to the mix.

I think on my last ride I wasn't hydrated properly to begin with, and I didn't drink enough during the ride. So, yes, I need to improve on my fitness and hydration routine. I'm just looking to augment that.

ben

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i add electrolytes to koolaid in my camelback or in bottles. the fruity taste and the sugar hides the taste of the electrolytes. i have tried drinking plain water with a reasonable amount of electrolytes in it before and it was foul. i think you can also buy tablets that you just take with water.

Meatbomb
    Don't add it to your bladder, put it in a bottle, that way you can tap it when and if you need it.

mtbr member
    your water being cold is much more important than adding electrolytes...(if you are not doing this already) Be sure to freeze your bladder or add (max amount of ) ice before your ride and carry one or two extra frozen water bottles..

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    your water being cold is much more important than adding electrolytes...(if you are not doing this already) Be sure to freeze your bladder or add (max amount of ) ice before your ride and carry one or two extra frozen water bottles..
    Reason? I prefer colder water as it quenches my thirst better than warm water, but for any ride I want electrolytes in my water no mater what temp.

I use Camelbak Elixir tablets at a lesser ratio to water than they recommend.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I bring water with cytomax in my bottle and pure water in my bladder for normal weekly rides(usually no more than 2 hours)... If it's an extended ride I'll mix cytomax into my bladder too... Discolored the bladder a little but there is no left behind taste next time I go back to regular water. But either way I try and take at least 90oz of fluids on the trail with me.
    14' Specialized Crave

13' Trek Superfly100 AL Elite - Sold
    06' Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc - Sold

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Reason? I prefer colder water as it quenches my thirst better than warm water, but for any ride I want electrolytes in my water no mater what temp.

Cold water will help to cool down your core temperature... which will help to prevent heat stroke..

not saying electrolytes won't help... but when the sun is on you really hot during July and August, cooling down is very important..

Black and Sticky

Elete

Products | elete Electrolyte Add-in

Has no taste and doesn't gunk up your hydration bladder like flavored stuff.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm always hesitant to offer anything leaning toward "medical" advice, just understanding that everyone's body is unique.

Drinking 100 ounces of water, plus some bottled Cytomax (16-20 ounces or more?), plus multiple gels plus a bar? Man, that sure does seem like a lot for a 3-hour ride. No offense, but are you sure you're dehydrating?

I rarely drink more than 60 or so ounces of a 100-ounce bladder on any given ride, with maybe 12 ounces of cytomax on rides approaching 3 hours. Exceptions would be rides in direct sun over 100 degrees.

mtbr member
    How about electrolyte pills from Hammer Nutrition? I almost bought some from REI, but the cost/content ratio on them didn't seem like a good value.

meow
    +1 on elete liquid electrolyte. I use it during hot weather, it's completely tasteless and you don't have to clean out the bladder after every use to kill the bacteria from sugars in other add-ins.

EDR
    In the heat of summer I've carried a bottle of Cytomax, but I never mix anything in my bladder..water only for simplicity of keeping it clean. Sounds like you need a bottle of something, and some food. Food is great for helping to not bonk. I'm not talking about an apple but saltier stuff. Granola bars, trail mix with M&M's, peanut butter and honey on wheat bread. The options are endless and it just feels great to eat when the body is feeling lousy.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Eat a pickle, then drink the juice. I like taking a few for long rides.Nice alternative to all the space food.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nuun tablets work for me. One per 100oz bladder keeps me feeling fresh, your experience may vary. They don't gunk up my bladder either, I've left old Nuun water at room temp for weeks and it rinsed right out. Not recommended I'm sure. If you're not icing during the hotter months, do it, it's amazing what cold water does for morale.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by schenker View Post
    brawndos got electolytes
    it's the thirst mutilator !

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i finally got a camelback after 15 months in AZ (jenson had the 'don' version for $41 so i picked up a pair)
    i wonder if i think these new sub-100 degree temps will totally offset any noticeable difference in switching from my standard 2-gatorade rides to plain water..

Rhino
    Carbo Rocket and Half Evil Fuel.
    https://carborocket.com/

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    How about electrolyte pills from Hammer Nutrition? I almost bought some from REI, but the cost/content ratio on them didn't seem like a good value.
    i'm guessing that morton's lite salt plus a magnesium tab would get you similar content at a muuuuuch lover price. have not looked at the exact content of those pills.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    the diet gatorade works well for me (not nearly as much sugar) but I dont add it to the bladder. I will just carry a 20 oz bottle and take sips from it every now and then to mix it up with the water.

or you could carry salt packets in your pack and whenever you stop to take a break, you can just have a little.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I throw a small gatorade or powerade bottle in my pack for rides over 3hours.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I use Electro-Mix from EmergenC.

I used to get serious leg cramps doing long trail runs until I started using Electro-Mix. None since.
    It has a light/subtle citrus flavor and it's sugar free.

Emergen-C, Vitamin D & Calcium, Joint Health, Heart Health, MSM, ElectroMix

-db-

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    Eat a pickle, then drink the juice. I like taking a few for long rides.Nice alternative to all the space food.
    This does work...I concur
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

jddist
    May 2008
    I find that proper pre-ride hydration is more important than anything else when talking about 2 to 3 hour rides in the heat. Start drinking plenty of H2O and any other supplements, I use twin lab ultra-fuel, a couple hours before the ride. When I follow this routine, I typically use about half of my 100oz camel back on a 2.5 hour ride, even when it is 100+ out. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    I have a different take on the cold water, I read a study back some time ago that stated, your body will use something like 200 calories and send lots-o-blood to your stomach JUST to warm it to body temperature. Your body (from the study) can't metabolize the water until it reach's body temp.

I use straight water in my 100oz CB, and have a 20oz bottle mixed with like 4-5 scoops of Accelerade mixed with 100% Coconut water. It works wonders, again room temp water. You do get used to it, I drink warm (room temp) water all day at work to condition my taste to it.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post

I also like the Camelback Elixer tabs. Tasty, effective, and no mess in the Camelback bladder.

mtbr member
    Just water in camelback, anything else you put in there can easily lead to mold problems if you forget to clean it out.
    Cytomax in the water bottle.

The cytomax resolved a problem of getting light headed after an hour.

@trailgrinder
    I try all sorts of mix from every maker, a of late I really like the skratch labs stuff right now, it is super light in taste and doesn't give everything a sticky feel if you spill some. My biggest concern with some of the other drink formulas are that they are too sweet and after a couple hours on the bike it seems like gut rot kicks in from being too sweet. Another good product s carbo rocket, they both work great and aren't full of sugars that can upset the tummy.

mtbr member
    Rockstar Recovery?

Breakfast of champions:

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Pre ride hydration is key. I try to drink a lot the hour before. Sure a few hours might be better, but that is more work. Maybe 60 oz in an hour.

Food is key. I am not fan of all the bars and gels. I usually go for some fruit and maybe a bit of granola an hour or so before. Ideal is a decent meal a couple hours prior.

I use Fluid, not the caffeinated. I cut it 50% and it makes me feel good. Full strength and I do not like drinking it. I had a similar experience with Cytomax. I put it in the bladder, and rinse it well. The taste sticks around. I only do the Fluid for the long rides over 2.5 hr, or dirt bike stuff that will have me on trail for a long time. 100 oz is about 500 calories and it is not sugar. I am not sure what it is.

Maybe you should try a few things. I think I will try the Nunn tablets or maybe just salt and magnesium? I just don't like pickles. . Feeling good on trail and especially after is key.

Cool thread and good posting!

@trailgrinder
    Lol, not much of an energy drink guy but I have drank a few of these post ride to suck something down and get a caffeine rush. Post ride I try to stick with godd old Chocolate milk!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I throw a small gatorade or powerade bottle in my pack for rides over 3hours.
    For rides under 3 hours I throw a Tecate in my pack.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    I adding sodium and potassium for 30+km ride
    without electrolytes cyclist have risk to die
    Last edited by iperov; 09-13-2012 at 04:47 AM.

My other ride is your mom
    Anybody know where I can get some half-evil here in the valley....I just realized I'm low and only have one days worth for my bikepack this weekend. I checked their website, but the only AZ retailer is Sun n Spoke and I was there a few weeks back and they did not have any.

Rhino...??? You're the only person here in the valley I know who uses it other than me...

Meatbomb
    You may be out of luck.. their website states the 333 is on back order.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Havent tried this while riding yet, but during my hockey games I usually do 75% water 25% powerade and that seems to help

@trailgrinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    You may be out of luck.. their website states the 333 is on back order.
    That's to bad, since it's local most of the bike shops have it readily available around here. I will check my lbs today and see what they have available.

Registered Bike Offender
    I use electrolyte pills from Hammer Nutrition. I only need them for races lasting longer than 3hrs. If I don't take them I get horribly painful cramps and have to stop riding. For training/recreational rides I rarely need it...but I don't drink plain water.
    "Grab life by the bars"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Anybody know where I can get some half-evil here in the valley....I just realized I'm low and only have one days worth for my bikepack this weekend. I checked their website, but the only AZ retailer is Sun n Spoke and I was there a few weeks back and they did not have any.

Rhino...??? You're the only person here in the valley I know who uses it other than me...

As of a few months ago, no retail outlets in the Phoenix area carry their products. Bummer!!

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    For training/recreational rides I rarely need it...but I don't drink plain water.
    What do you drink?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    ... I don't drink plain water.
    this brings up a side point, or maybe it's not a side point. anyway, if i am going to put something in my stomach that it is going to have to process, i can't imagine ever putting in plain water. or something that is intentionally low in calories. just a thought.
    Last edited by Bill in Houston; 09-13-2012 at 05:27 PM.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Maybe exercise a little common sense and not ride when there is an extreme risk of heat exhaustion? Just sayin'.

I think that all the gatorades, accelerades, and all that crap are over-rated. Some table salt and a coconut water or a banana will give you all you need. The sports drink manufacturers have convinced us that plain water is unsufficient so that they can sell us more stuff.

I have been experimenting with home-made drink mixes and have found one that I think is great. It's low in sugar but has enough to get you going, and also has a decent amount of protein and fat (way more sustainable for long-term energy than sugars). It's about 350-400 calories per bottle, and helps prevent the post-ride bonk.

In a 22 oz. bottle mix a double shot of espresso (or coffee), a scoop of whey protein, 1/3 to 1/2 cup of coconut milk, 1 tsp to 1 tbsp maple syrup (depending on your taste), 1 tsp cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp table salt, and fill the rest with coconut water. It was inspired by Hammer Perpetuum, but made out of real food.

I also love bacon on rides. It gives you salt and energy and tastes way better than goo.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Link to an interesting article about sports drinks in the British Medical Journal:

The truth about sports drinks | BMJ

mtbr member
    +1 for Tecate and bacon on rides in extreme heat

mtbr member
    You ever tried uncooked bacon? It's how God intended bacon to be.

Gumnut Peddler
    Load up on fluids 1 - 2 days before a big ride. Before you go to bed the night before, smash down a big glass of water, and then another as soon as you get up in the morning.

I am not a big fan of things sweet when out on a ride, so I add water/ice to my camelbak and then carry a bottle on my bike which is full of electrolytes.

Small sips of cool water every couple of mins, and then a mouthful of electrolytes whenever you start to feel your body change - either sweat amounts, temp, cramps, etc.

After the ride drink a full serve of electrolytes and then plenty of water.

I found that after a big ride it is usually the 1 - 2 days afterwards where hydration is just as important. This is because your body can only absorb so much water over a period of time that you just pee the rest out. This doesnt mean that you are fully hydrated though, so keep up the water/rehydration for a few days afterwards just to be sure.

Caffeine also dehydrates the body, so keep this in mind if you are also taking GU/PowerBars/Redbull/etc and drink an extra amount of water to compensate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    You ever tried uncooked bacon? It's how God intended bacon to be.
    No but those phoenix canal carp sure love to bite off it...

Elitest thrill junkie
    i don't subscribe to the idea that you need sports drinks. Yes, some sugar can be nice when necessary, usually when supplemented with some carbs to avoid a big dropoff in energy after just a few min. That's where a mix of things comes in, but I also think about how our body is mostly water, and that's what it needs to function. Add a lot of crap to that water, like excess sodium, caffeine, corn syrup and other heavy syrup, preservatives, and so on, and you decrease your body's efficiency. Further, I've never performed as well as I have since I stopped drinking anything with corn syrup. Powdered gatorade is fine, but not necessary and it's generally bad IMO to use it to deliver sugar. Use it for what it's meant, to replace water and let your body function.

My performance was poor when I'd try to down a lot of gatorade before a ride.

I drink enough water every day so I don't have to pee at night. I'm not sure how you "hydrate the day before", that's never made any sense to me.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast