Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Adding electrolites to water in hydration pack?

Almost became a heat casualty on my last ride. I think I need to put something in my water to help replace what I sweat out. Do any of you add something like electrolites to your water in your hydration pack? If so, what have you found works well?

ben

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    Almost became a heat casualty on my last ride. I think I need to put something in my water to help replace what I sweat out. Do any of you add something like electrolites to your water in your hydration pack? If so, what have you found works well?

ben
    I've been using Nunn in my water for the past 4 years...but I don't bother with it for rides under 3 hours since I tend to not get into trouble until after then despite what I do to myself the night before...I would not bother with it under that time and focus on proper fitness and acclimatization instead....YMMV.

mtbr member
    Brawndos got electolytes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I've been using Nunn in my water for the past 4 years...but I don't bother with it for rides under 3 hours since I tend to not get into trouble until after then despite what I do to myself the night before...I would not bother with it under that time and focus on proper fitness and acclimatization instead....YMMV.
    Maybe I should add that I'm the type of person that knows I need more than water. My rides are typically under 3 hours of moving time, but I'm out on the trail longer than that.

My current routine during the ride is to drink the Cytomax that I have in my water bottle frequently and supplement with water while on the move. I also will consume 2-3 gel packs at various times when taking a break. Sometimes I add a Cliff bar to the mix.

I think on my last ride I wasn't hydrated properly to begin with, and I didn't drink enough during the ride. So, yes, I need to improve on my fitness and hydration routine. I'm just looking to augment that.

ben

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i add electrolytes to koolaid in my camelback or in bottles. the fruity taste and the sugar hides the taste of the electrolytes. i have tried drinking plain water with a reasonable amount of electrolytes in it before and it was foul. i think you can also buy tablets that you just take with water.

Meatbomb
    Don't add it to your bladder, put it in a bottle, that way you can tap it when and if you need it.

mtbr member
    your water being cold is much more important than adding electrolytes...(if you are not doing this already) Be sure to freeze your bladder or add (max amount of ) ice before your ride and carry one or two extra frozen water bottles..

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    your water being cold is much more important than adding electrolytes...(if you are not doing this already) Be sure to freeze your bladder or add (max amount of ) ice before your ride and carry one or two extra frozen water bottles..
    Reason? I prefer colder water as it quenches my thirst better than warm water, but for any ride I want electrolytes in my water no mater what temp.

I use Camelbak Elixir tablets at a lesser ratio to water than they recommend.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I bring water with cytomax in my bottle and pure water in my bladder for normal weekly rides(usually no more than 2 hours)... If it's an extended ride I'll mix cytomax into my bladder too... Discolored the bladder a little but there is no left behind taste next time I go back to regular water. But either way I try and take at least 90oz of fluids on the trail with me.
    13 Trek Superfly100 AL Elite
    06 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Reason? I prefer colder water as it quenches my thirst better than warm water, but for any ride I want electrolytes in my water no mater what temp.

I use Camelbak Elixir tablets at a lesser ratio to water than they recommend.
    Cold water will help to cool down your core temperature... which will help to prevent heat stroke..

not saying electrolytes won't help... but when the sun is on you really hot during July and August, cooling down is very important..

Black and Sticky

Elete

Products | elete Electrolyte Add-in

Has no taste and doesn't gunk up your hydration bladder like flavored stuff.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm always hesitant to offer anything leaning toward "medical" advice, just understanding that everyone's body is unique.

Drinking 100 ounces of water, plus some bottled Cytomax (16-20 ounces or more?), plus multiple gels plus a bar? Man, that sure does seem like a lot for a 3-hour ride. No offense, but are you sure you're dehydrating?

I rarely drink more than 60 or so ounces of a 100-ounce bladder on any given ride, with maybe 12 ounces of cytomax on rides approaching 3 hours. Exceptions would be rides in direct sun over 100 degrees.

mtbr member
    How about electrolyte pills from Hammer Nutrition? I almost bought some from REI, but the cost/content ratio on them didn't seem like a good value.

meow
    +1 on elete liquid electrolyte. I use it during hot weather, it's completely tasteless and you don't have to clean out the bladder after every use to kill the bacteria from sugars in other add-ins.

EDR
    In the heat of summer I've carried a bottle of Cytomax, but I never mix anything in my bladder..water only for simplicity of keeping it clean. Sounds like you need a bottle of something, and some food. Food is great for helping to not bonk. I'm not talking about an apple but saltier stuff. Granola bars, trail mix with M&M's, peanut butter and honey on wheat bread. The options are endless and it just feels great to eat when the body is feeling lousy.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Eat a pickle, then drink the juice. I like taking a few for long rides.Nice alternative to all the space food.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nuun tablets work for me. One per 100oz bladder keeps me feeling fresh, your experience may vary. They don't gunk up my bladder either, I've left old Nuun water at room temp for weeks and it rinsed right out. Not recommended I'm sure. If you're not icing during the hotter months, do it, it's amazing what cold water does for morale.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by schenker View Post
    brawndos got electolytes
    it's the thirst mutilator !

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i finally got a camelback after 15 months in AZ (jenson had the 'don' version for $41 so i picked up a pair)
    i wonder if i think these new sub-100 degree temps will totally offset any noticeable difference in switching from my standard 2-gatorade rides to plain water..

Rhino
    Carbo Rocket and Half Evil Fuel.
    https://carborocket.com/

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    How about electrolyte pills from Hammer Nutrition? I almost bought some from REI, but the cost/content ratio on them didn't seem like a good value.
    i'm guessing that morton's lite salt plus a magnesium tab would get you similar content at a muuuuuch lover price. have not looked at the exact content of those pills.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    the diet gatorade works well for me (not nearly as much sugar) but I dont add it to the bladder. I will just carry a 20 oz bottle and take sips from it every now and then to mix it up with the water.

or you could carry salt packets in your pack and whenever you stop to take a break, you can just have a little.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I throw a small gatorade or powerade bottle in my pack for rides over 3hours.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I use Electro-Mix from EmergenC.

I used to get serious leg cramps doing long trail runs until I started using Electro-Mix. None since.
    It has a light/subtle citrus flavor and it's sugar free.

Emergen-C, Vitamin D & Calcium, Joint Health, Heart Health, MSM, ElectroMix

-db-

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    Eat a pickle, then drink the juice. I like taking a few for long rides.Nice alternative to all the space food.
    This does work...I concur

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast