mtbr member

Access to PSP North Via Dove Valley Rd ??

Is there parking near the intersection of Dove Valley Road and N. Paloma for accessing the south side of PSP North Ocotillo trail ?
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

The big trailhead/parking is only a few miles east.

mtbr member
    There is an official parking area on the far east end of Sonoran north. It is off Dove Valley road/Sonoran parkway. There is an unofficial place where people park off Dove Valley road on the west side of the Sonoran North at N Paloma. You can access the trails from wide jeep road going north. I personally always park at 7th ave and Carefree hwy.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RPS1030 View Post
    The big trailhead/parking is only a few miles east.
    I know, I am riding at night and I assume the gate will be closed.
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Yes, you want to park by Carefree and 7th.

mtbr member
    I am going to try to park near Paloma Pkwy and Dove Valley. Its less gas and time for me. Unless you know of persons getting ticketed there.
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    I am going to try to park near Paloma Pkwy and Dove Valley. Its less gas and time for me. Unless you know of persons getting ticketed there.
    On the street? Never saw a car parked there, as there is no parking signs on both sides. Even if you park on the dirt, a car sitting there at night may make the residents nervous and they could make the phone call. Where are you coming from?

mtbr member
    I do see cars parked there on the dirt when I ride by on my road bike, the reason why I started this thread is becuase I didn't know exactly where that location was and I needed to tell another rider where to meet me. Joe confirmed that its just north of the intersection of Dove Valley and Paloma. That answers my question.
    I am coming from the south. Too late to change now, arrangements are already made.

If anyone else wants to join in Ill be at the intersection of Paloma Pkwy and Dove Valley leaving at 6PM
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    That is going to be long night ride if you plan to make Cave Creek Park. It takes me 3-4 hrs to run Sonoran south, north and make the run on Maricopa / 7th ave to and from Anthem.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

They have a directional spike system , so you can still exit.

mtbr member
    Joe, I am doing the long one on Wednesday during the day (not tuesday as I said eariler, plans change). This is just a short ride for tonight...

That would be an intersting ride to do at night .... lol
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    They have a directional spike system , so you can still exit.
    I know this. But Ill be riding at 6PM, and the gate may be closed then since they (in theory) close the gate at sundown...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Good chance to get lost on the ride from Anthem to New River road on Maricopa. I almost get lost there riding in day light and know the trail. At night.... who know where I would end up. As for sonoran north I did the climb from 7th ave and carefree trailhead Sunday morning in the dark. The climb was fine, but the descent was a little spooky. I don't ride much in the dark, but going around the turns there were times were you could see the trail turn, but going straight was pure darkness. That was off the side of mtn of course, but in daylight you can see that so at least for me it feels better. Anyway it make me pause a little. Any way have great ride. I will be stuck at work till probably at least 6pm. Kind tough when you start at 6am.....
    Joe

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I know this. But Ill be riding at 6PM, and the gate may be closed then since they (in theory) close the gate at sundown...
    Yeah, not sure but it's on a timer and they have been having problems with it.

mtbr member
    We parked in the dirt just north of Dove Valley/ Paloma. No issues.
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    May 2012
    We parked in the dirt just north of Dove Valley/ Paloma. No issues.
    I've parked there a bunch of times with no problems.

But... One of my friends parked there a couple of weeks ago and received a ticket. It said something about parking in a non-paved area. She was going to try to fight it but I haven't heard the outcome.

I've started parking at the Apache Wash Trailhead (new one), or at 7th and Carefree Hwy when my truck is already dusty/dirty.

My daughter and I rode by Paloma and Dove Valley today while a truck was parked in that "lot". A Phoenix motorcycle officer passed us and ignored the truck. I think it just depends on the officer...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kf9yr View Post
    I've parked there a bunch of times with no problems.

But... One of my friends parked there a couple of weeks ago and received a ticket. It said something about parking in a non-paved area. She was going to try to fight it but I haven't heard the outcome.

I've started parking at the Apache Wash Trailhead (new one), or at 7th and Carefree Hwy when my truck is already dusty/dirty.

My daughter and I rode by Paloma and Dove Valley today while a truck was parked in that "lot". A Phoenix motorcycle officer passed us and ignored the truck. I think it just depends on the officer...
    thanks for letting me know about that. I won't be parking there now. I got one of those tickets a few years ago and its something like $275... They can only be written if you are within PHoenix city limits....

I remember when they opened up hunting within (some sections) Phoenix city limits about 4 years ago, there was the question of "where the hell are we going to park ? "

Theoretically, you could also be ticketed at 7th ave and carefree highway for the same violation... But so many folks park there, I don't know if the cops look the other way... That parking is within Phoenix city limits..

I feel bad for your friend because that cop was just being an ass... It's a stupid law that originates from the EPA wanting to reduce dust in urban areas...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    ..Theoretically, you could also be ticketed at 7th ave and carefree highway for the same violation... But so many folks park there, I don't know if the cops look the other way... That parking is within Phoenix city limits..
    If you are on the east side of 7th Ave then you are not in Phoenix city limits any longer. Maricopa county only.
    Joe

mtbr member
    May 2012

The "parking area" is on the Southwest corner of the intersection.

At the Apache Wash Trailhead dedication one of the Phoenix parks people mentioned that 7th ave / Carefree Hwy was next on their list to pave.

She said there wasn't a timeline so it could be Spring 2014 or it could be much later.

That's closer to my house so I'm hoping it's soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    If you are on the east side of 7th Ave then you are not in Phoenix city limits any longer. Maricopa county only.
    You are correct

And that still puts the west side where everyone parks in phoenix
    http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ndaryupdts.pdf
    Below Par on the Gnar