Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kathleen in AZ

9-20-2013 FotoFriday

My obsession with night photography is really messing with my biking habit, but I sure am having fun and the dogs love heading out to the hills for campouts in dark remote places.

From my Oregon trip earlier this month, I finally learned to do composite star trail shots...

I brought the skills back to AZ and went out to KOFA last weekend...

Here is a shot of the early morning Zodiacal lights intersecting the Milky Way. Orange glow is the the lights from Phoenix.

And a token rad biking shot of SuLing that I took in August and probably already shared...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just gorgeous star shots Kathleen, and SuLing is a star also .
    i will see you on the trails soon !

Kathleen in AZ
    I am looking for AZ lakes under dark skies... star reflections are great fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Love pic #2. Looks like Boo's fur.
    Because, one is never enough.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Damn DG! Those reflections are sweet.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Give it a crank
    Incredible star trails, wow!

Dixie Mine Trail a few days after it rained.
    2013-09-15_0020

Sunrise at Browns Ranch.
    2013-09-13_0016

At Bell Pass looking SW.
    2013-09-15_0010

mtbr member
    Thursday morning the moon was setting and looked absolutely spectacular-about 2 or 3 inches above the mountains and huge. It was moving fast and by the time I got my camera out, it had begun to set.
    I wish I knew how to make my pictures as vivid as some of the other posters here, the ones I get never do justice to what I see. 9-20-2013 FotoFriday-20130919_061618.jpg
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    Lake Mary and Marshall Lake -- both a few miles southeast of Flagstaff.

-db-

mtbr member
    Roosevelt and Alamo Lake could be good ones.

A couple smaller ones that might be interesting are Riggs Lake on Mt. Graham and Horsethief Lake near Crown King.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lunch break in the Dry Lake Hills. The lake, obviously, is quite full from the abundant rainfall this summer. And the normally dry meadows are now marshes.

Here is an image of the Harvest Moon rising behind Cathedral Rock in Sedona.

A 100% crop of the above image showing a hiker silhouetted against the moon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    From my Oregon trip earlier this month, I finally learned to do composite star trail shots...
    Third one is my favorite. Is that Mt. Bachelor in the background?

-db-

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    Third one is my favorite. Is that Mt. Bachelor in the background?

-db-
    My third star trails was taken at the south end of Sparks lake with the South Sister and Broken Top mountains in the background. Here is a single shot from Todd Lake with Mt. Bachelor..

Pretty exciting to know that lift-serviced biking will be opening up next year on Mt. Bachelor!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Dark Hollow Trail, Utah.

Little Creek Mesa.

Top of Blow Hard trail, Utah.

mtbr member
    Parker Canyon Lake could be good. Lake Loop and AZTrail for riding during daylight hours. San Rafael valley/grasslands could provide additional dark sky materials with western features like windmills and corrals with nary a phone/power line to be found. 47 dF there last night.
    Cheers,
    M

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idaz View Post
    Parker Canyon Lake could be good. Lake Loop and AZTrail for riding during daylight hours. San Rafael valley/grasslands could provide additional dark sky materials with western features like windmills and corrals with nary a phone/power line to be found. 47 dF there last night.
    Cheers,
    M
    There are a lot of lakes in the northern section of the apache national forest that have thin air and very little light pollution. Big Lake, White Mt Reservoir, etc...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member

How do you wind up with these swirls? Just curious...been playing with night photo's too, but that looks really cool...way cooler than anything I've taken...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    I wonder if the lakes around the Dells in Prescott would work?
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    [/IMG]
    Your photos are amazing. I'm using one of your star swirl shots as my new screen saver. Are you set up to take payment for such uses? I'd gladly pay you something. Or I'll delete it if you would rather I not use it.

I look forward to photo Fridays each week.
    The older I get the better I was...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Went out for a Ripsey Loop on a wonderful Sat morning.

Top of the Florence-Kelvin climb

Posted this before, but here's the downed cottonwood tree at Ripsey ranch. Bummer.

GilaMonster dropping down to Ripsey wash.

Working our way up the Big Hill

But a spec on this landscape. Clouds build over Mt. Lemmon.

Best ridgeline descent in AZ? Quite possibly.

KOM!!

GilaMonster gets the photo credit for this one.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    How do you wind up with these swirls? Just curious...been playing with night photo's too, but that looks really cool...way cooler than anything I've taken...
    These swirly images are actually composites of 20-second or 25-second exposures taken over an hour or more time with a three sec pause between each shot. THis particular shot also includes images using lightpainting to bring out the foreground. You'll need a DSLR, a 24mm or wider angle lens, an intervelometer, and a good tripod. You'll need to process each RAW image for noise and color balance (I use autosync in Lightroom 4) and then you'll need to stack the images using Photoshop or a free program like StarStaX. Check out David Kingham's blog - he's very generous in his offerings of instructions on how to shoot at night. David Kingham Photography | Blog The other cool thing about taking these shots is that you can either stack to make a star trails shots, or you can make them into a timelapse movie. I do not have enough computing power yet to do the movies, but am saving the images for when I upgrade my old iMac in the near future.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I wonder if the lakes around the Dells in Prescott would work?
    Thanks to everyone for the lake tips!! I'll be seeking some of these out soon. I too have wondered about the Prescott area lakes. I have yet to ride the Dells and hear that Watson lake is beautiful.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Your photos are amazing. I'm using one of your star swirl shots as my new screen saver. Are you set up to take payment for such uses? I'd gladly pay you something. Or I'll delete it if you would rather I not use it.

I look forward to photo Fridays each week.
    Thanks!! I do wonder if I overstep the MTBR boundaries by posting up non-biking shots. But you all are kind of like family to me and I love to share, so I'm glad to hear you don't mind me stepping out of bounds every now and then.

I do not mind anyone grabbing my shots for personal use. This photo thing is purely a hobby for me, not a money making effort. I do ask that if you reproduce my images anywhere (like Facebook or a blog) that you give me credit either by leaving my watermark in place or by just giving me credit. Anyone who wants to buy prints, a digital file, or something like a coffee mug with one of my images can do so from my smugmug site. durtgurl.smugmug.com. I put most of my images up there and I've been trying lately to get it better organized

I have been invited to display of some of my night photos locally early in 2014. I'll post up details when they are available! I have yet to print a single photo so this should prove interesting.

mtbr member
    Thanks to everyone for the lake tips!! I'll be seeking some of these out soon. I too have wondered about the Prescott area lakes. I have yet to ride the Dells and hear that Watson lake is beautiful.
    Was just up there. I really want to ride there. I'll have to find someone to show me around one day.

“Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

parenting for gnarness
    Thanks!! I do wonder if I overstep the MTBR boundaries by posting up non-biking shots. .

pssshaw. the 'rules' on this thread are: biking, or bikers posting cool stuff loosely-related to our love of biking. please dont stop. *thumbsup*

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    Was just up there. I really want to ride there. I'll have to find someone to show me around one day.
    the trails are marked and easy to follow, but the B-lines are good with a local.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast