Thread: 650B tires

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

650B tires

This is a crosspost from the 650b forum, hope nobody minds. I'm hoping to get some local advice on which tires you guys are successfully running on the trails here. I ride a lot of PMP but also Somo and McDowells etc.

After trashing two Neo-Motos on the rear of my 650b Rush, I'm done shelling out good money for a tire that can't hold up to Arizona XC riding with my 150 lb weight. What else can I run ghetto tubeless on Blunt rims?

FWIW the first failure was a 1/8" sidewall hole that was clearly in the grain of the tire fabric and not a puncture. Stans would seal the hole for awhile, then the booger would come loose and not seal, resulting in an unreliable tire. I tried a patch, but between the flex of the sidewall and the Stans it came loose.

The second failure (yesterday) was a complete sidewall blow out resulting in a 1/2-3/4" split. This was not on a crazy downhill run, just pedaling along on singletrack at Phoenix Mountain Preserve and hitting a loose 4" diameter rock with my rear tire. The tire cost me $75 with shipping and had less than 100 miles on it.

I know these are not "tubeless" tires, but after hearing everyone swear by them on this forum I had higher expectations. I had much better reliability with my old 26" Mavic 819/Maxxis Crossmark setup.

I am looking at 650b options and I see Kenda Nevegal, WTB Wolverine, and IRD FireXC Pro. Pacenti's are out, and I think Schwalbe's are probably too lightweight since I'm trashing Neomoto's already. Suggestions?

I am Bob
    Paging U2metoo.....

Rhino
    I like the WTB for XC and Fire pros for Somo. Wtb sidewalls held up well but tread wore down fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I got some cheap Nevegals on eBay, gonna give em a shot. I guess I'll just try different tires until I find a keeper.

mtbr member
    Funny you mention the Crossmark. It's my favorite flavor for 26 and 29 inch and never had an issue with them. I had a tiny sidewall hole this weekend at the night ride in one of them (brand new 0 miles) and it sealed. Rode yesterday PMP and it held. Hoping for the best and carrying a tube!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    cstem, I found some posts on MTBR and some other articles on the web saying that using rubber cement and tube patches works on tubeless tires. They suggest patching, then running dry with a tube for a few rides to let the patch set without the sealant bothering it. It has also been mentioned that Stan's uses a solvent or something that can eat tires from the inside out. I am going to try switching to homebrew and monitor the effects.