mtbr member

4th tube in 2 weeks...

Just curious if anyone else is having problems with Speshy sealant tubes. I'm on my 4th tube in less than 15 days. There seems to be be a tear/puncture near the base of the valve each time. I checked around the eye opening of my wheel but couldn't find anything sharp. My LBS said "it could be a bad batch" at their store and gave me some True Goo to run on. Might be going tubeless soon...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th tube in 2 weeks...-imag0747.jpg  

4th tube in 2 weeks...-imag0750.jpg  

2011 Hardrock "Blubi Jones"

Pivot TBD

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GGTran View Post
    Might be going tubeless soon...
    My 2 cents... Just do it! I just did the Gorilla Tape semi/ghetto tubeless (With stans sealant and Stans presta valves) and am totally LOVING it.

Lower pressure provides a MUCH better ride, no more flats / pinch flats, etc.

I did the total conversion for around $30, around the same cost of two of those "True Goo" tubes from the LBS (I used to run those and they lasted for about 2 weeks before they pinched, or the valve stem broke off.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    My 2 cents... Just do it! I just did the Gorilla Tape semi/ghetto tubeless (With stans sealant and Stans presta valves) and am totally LOVING it.

Lower pressure provides a MUCH better ride, no more flats / pinch flats, etc.

I did the total conversion for around $30, around the same cost of two of those "True Goo" tubes from the LBS (I used to run those and they lasted for about 2 weeks before they pinched, or the valve stem broke off.
    Ditto. I would get flats from thorns with sealant tubes as well. I have not gotten a flat while tubeless in 3 years!!! No joke. I have a ghetto set up (gorilla tape) using home brew sealant and a full out UST rim/tire setup. The ghetto is much cheaper, but the UST is much easier in every aspect and I feel 10X more confident in the rim/tire bead interface.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Give it a crank
    I don't like any tubes that are pre-filled with sealant, I've only had terrible results with all the ones I've tried. I get far better puncture seals with quality tubes thta I add my choice of Slime and amount I like to have in them. No flats, no tubeless complications, just fun riding.

I've recently had a tube that just popped a hole on the stem right below the metal part, as if the bond between the metal stem piece and the tube over it suddenly broke. It wasn't a Specialized brand tube, but it was the first time I've seen a stem fail like that. The stem doesn't hold sealant so it emptied all the air pretty fast.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    My first year of riding I had maybe 5 flats in total, then this spring I ran into a lot of flats, 6-7 flats in a month, topping it off with 3 flats in a weekend. I felt like I had to fix a flat every single time out. Since then I haven't had a single one.

Vincit qui patitur
    Lokks like it slipt at the schraeder valve?
    Have they all benn schraeder valve tubes? Same spot?
    If so I would believe that when aired dow the tube is slipping inside the tire and is a cause or partiila cause of this.
    I intend on going tubeless when I get my new wheelset.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    Lokks like it slipt at the schraeder valve?
    Have they all benn schraeder valve tubes? Same spot?
    If so I would believe that when aired dow the tube is slipping inside the tire and is a cause or partiila cause of this.
    I intend on going tubeless when I get my new wheelset.
    Yep all Schraeder valves and all at the same spot bottom of the stem. Judging from the feedbacks and after I go through 3 True Goo the LBS gave me for free I'm going tubeless.

Pivot TBD

mtbr member
    Yeah, tubless all the way. Just check the sealant every month or so, as once it runs dry and something cuts the sidewall a bit or punctures it, it will go flat and you will be like "WTF", painful experience for me lol. The sealant will dry up. Other than that I only run "airlock" tubes with sealant in them on my Tarmac road bike, and they are great, but Ill never do tubes on a MTB for sure.
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    I would take them back into your LBS and see if they will check it out for you. Sounds like either a faulty tube or that your valve hole in your wheel might be cutting them.

I have seen similiar issues at times with the bontrager tubes and we usually will take care of our customers with them.

skilldest©
    Going tubeless is like having sex without a condom.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by _dragon View Post
    But less risky especially when factoring in what you are riding and how dirty it is.
    Last edited by Douger-1; 08-16-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _dragon View Post
    You always carry one just in case you need to use one
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Get the Slime tubes. Always worked awesome for me.

Meatbomb
    yeah, if you are using tubes, slime tubes are the way to go .. the specialized tubes are for teh weight weenies and way to thin .

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    But less risky especially when factoring in what you are riding and how dirty it is.
    We haven't seen his wife. She may be pretty dirty In a good way, of course...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    We haven't seen his wife. She may be pretty dirty In a good way, of course...
    Ha! The only thing dirty about my wife is the martini she mixes at The W.

Pivot TBD

mtbr member
    You too! I went threw 2 extra thick slime tubes in 2 rides. The same hole next to the valve. What a waste of 26 bucks!